PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle inspection question

RandomHero
July 26th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I'm looking at buying a bike before the summer ends and a friend of mine who bought a bike last year is helping me find one. I was looking at a post on kijiji for a 1996 gsxr but my friend advised me that it would need a safety inspection. My question is, are motor cycles treated the same way as vehicles when purchased? Is a safety inspection req'd for bikes 12 years old & older?

I tried searching for my answer but couldn't find. If there's a thread already made regarding this please post link.

AudiInProgress
July 26th, 2009, 07:16 PM
all depends on your insurance company...

i've been with RBC for 6-7 years, and i've bought cars and bikes far older than 12 years, and i have NEVER once been asked to get an inspection.

CKXtreme
July 26th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I have a 15 year old CBR that I bought last fall. It did not need an inspection, although my insurance agent (who is as useless as the little weeny tits she bares) said it probably would. Nothing ever came of it. I have had no inspection to date, and ride it pretty much daily.

Edit: Insurance company is Nordic. They are what I've been lead to believe as the only insurance company that would touch a sportbike that old. I havent tried elsewhere though.

AudiInProgress
July 27th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Yeah... Nordic (Nordiq) is apparently the only one that will touch sport bikes. Or so I've been told.

Cheverz
July 28th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Yep, However if you DO need to inspection argyll told me a bike would fail if it had aftermarket parts on it?Such as pipes ect.

NESTLE
July 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Cheverz
Yep, However if you DO need to inspection argyll told me a bike would fail if it had aftermarket parts on it?Such as pipes ect.
Argyll are a bunch of retards.

if an active bike fails and inspection, it wont change anything.

it all depends on your insurance company if an inspection is needed. but ive never had to get an inspection on ANYTHING car trucks bike etc no matter how old they are, good ol statefarm :)