PDA

View Full Version : 'Great' West Chrysler and Jeep can suck my left nut... (LONG!)

ehos
February 17th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Ok, here's the situation:

My Eclipse's clutch pedal needs to be 'pumped' before it can shift. It happened on a -36 degree day in Ft. Mac. No problems the car drives fine but it eventually gets on my nerves. I KNOW it's the slave/master cylinder.

BUT, I take it to GWCJ from now on referred to as the 'stealership', aka co#Ksu#k'N, mf, etc etc :) on 170Th in West Edmonton, and the tool that stands up front says they'll 'look at it'.

Great. First, why do they have someone who barely knows ANYTHING about cars as the technical rep? Just because they might have some customer service skills? Whatever. I think the mechanic should be up there.

They 'look' at the car, which is exactly what they did, 'look'. I don't think they even opened my hood! (No finger marks on it, it was dirty).

And I get an estimate back for $1300!! Needs a new clutch. Uh, yeah, right. I come here, ask for advice (I was sure it was the slave/master, but wanted to make sure). And I took my car back, they still charged me for 'looking' at the car (um, did you even OPEN THE HOOD?).

I take it to Canadian Tire. The guy actually did some work, found it was the slave all along and said $200, installed, good to go.

Nice. Canadian Tire is always the best. It's first come first served, the people there KNOW about cars, and they fix shit.

The stealership can lick my balls. I'm going back to get a refund on the time they took to 'look' at it.

Sorry for the vent/rant, but come on! Also, they wouldn't let me talk to a mechanic (why not?), and they treated me like it was my fault the clutch failed (what? The clutch works perfect!).

Morons!

Insomniac
February 17th, 2004, 05:43 PM
f that. The only thing worse than a stealership is Ukrainian Tire.

The are guarunteed to always f somehting up on your car. You just wait and see....

place is a training ground for reject mechanics that can't hack it anywhere else:blink:

SplineZ
February 17th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Just make sure that CT doesnt take off your wheels.. cuz when they put'em off, YOU will never get them off again.... We broke a breaker bar getting lug nuts off... and both of the ones that come with your vehicle..

Or touch your brakes.. cuz they dont machine rotors when doign a brake job, unless you TELL them too..

or replace gaskets on your engine.. Mine started making horrible noises less than a week after being at CT...

or replace your battery.. they charged us like 2hrs to install it, and they took out our headlight.. didnt put back in correctly... and you do NOt have to take out the headlight to put the battery in our van.. ive done it many times.

so, they are only good for... is nothing. :)

Zippies has my business (they are also a DSM force to be wreckoned with) and my parents take their vehicles to the local Fountain Tire..

I'd trust either one with my vehicle over CT.

James Z

Flex
February 17th, 2004, 06:21 PM
I wouldn't let canadian tire put air im my tires let alone work on my car. My ex took our vw fox there to get a tire fixed. She told the guy at the counter how to get the centercap off the rim properly. He went into the back and came out and said he told the mechanic. She was watching the guy about to take the centercap off and he was about to shove a screwdriver inthe edge of the cap and pry it off.....even after the counter guy said he told him how to take it off properly.....and obviously the screwdriver wasn't the right way. She yelled at the counter guy and told him to get his ass back there and tell the mechanic to stop. Luckily he stopped him in time so she had to go back there and show the mechanic how to take it off....she asked the mechanic if he wanted her to show him how to take the tire off to........man I would have liked to see that.

1mns13
February 17th, 2004, 07:59 PM
I agree that some service advisors don't know thier ass from a hole in the ground. I hope Great Waste gives you your money back for wasting your time. It's nice to see somebody get a good job done by CT. I myself won't go back.

colossus
February 17th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Dealerships can be too $$$, but Canadian Tire can be worse. I remember one occasion on an old car whereupon i happened upon seeing the technician put the hubcaps on with a hammer leaving dents. I told him to stop immediately and called the service manager over. His response was they would never do such a thing and the bumps must have been there originally. <--crooks!!! Becareful when dealing with them...:mad:

ehos
February 17th, 2004, 09:42 PM
I go to the West End CT, and most of the mechanics there have over 10+ years of experience, and I haven't been messed up by them once.

Not even close. At least they always fix my car, and charge me a fair price, and it's first come first serve. They diagnosed my so called 'clutch' problem in the time they said.

Everytime I go to a dealer I get the KY ready. And everytime I need it. Must be me I guess.

I'm going to Great Waste (I like that) to get my money back, and I'm 100% sure I will get it after I drop my dead slave cylinder in the biotch's lap.

The service advisor idea is a great idea. It seperates the pissed of customers (like me) from the mechanics. But the problem is, it usually agrevates the problem.

AND, why do they take my car out back to work on it? Why can't I watch? I sure as hell can watch all day long at CT.

Why the secrets? They gave me some lame, 'insurance thing' line. If that's true, why doesn't CT have the 'insurance liabilty' thing?

I'll tell you why. BS! The usual stealership BS. Like when I was at Great Waste, the General Manager said, 'Oh yeah, that SRT makes 280 HP!'

Uh huh, on fuking rocket fuel, down a hill, being pulled by a viper maybe. AND that's the GM! What a tool.

SplineZ
February 17th, 2004, 10:28 PM
well at CT you can watch thru the glass window... if your actually inside the mechanics area, you'r not covered by their insurance. That is why there is a sign on the door.. however they let you in there to see your car being diagnosed to show you whats wrong.

A SRT-4 is not going to make any more power going down hill or being towed by a viper.. anymore than running higher octane gas to improove performance on your minivan.

All of my negitive experiances have been at the west end location..

You know what they gave me for my "problems"? a gift certificate for a carwash at minit carwash... haha

James Z

-=MJ=-
February 17th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Just so you know the mechanics at Canadian Tire are compete dumbasses ( I know cuz i work there) most are fresh out of mechanics school and are lookin for their first job. On average they stay at CT for about a year then move on to the BIG LEAGUES (dealerships). MOST dealerships will only take mechanics with an average of 1 years of hands on experience. There are a few exceptions to this and some of the "Lifer" mechanics at CT stores are really good. There are always more experienced mechanics there so if one of the newbies have a problem they can alwasy sort it out.

Just as an example one day a Noob forgot to wipe the oil filter housing when he did and oil change and when he was driving away all the oil spilt out and he never knew untill he parked the car outside and got out and saw the oil stain in the snow. I'm just glad it wasn't my car;)

curtis_rak
February 17th, 2004, 11:29 PM
ehos,

Should have went to Pro Drag/Zippies. Especially since you drive a DSM. They specialize and won't rape you unless you request it.

TrevorK
February 17th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by -=MJ=-
Just so you know the mechanics at Canadian Tire are compete dumbasses ( I know cuz i work there) most are fresh out of mechanics school and are lookin for their first job. On average they stay at CT for about a year then move on to the BIG LEAGUES (dealerships). MOST dealerships will only take mechanics with an average of 1 years of hands on experience. There are a few exceptions to this and some of the "Lifer" mechanics at CT stores are really good. There are always more experienced mechanics there so if one of the newbies have a problem they can alwasy sort it out.

Just as an example one day a Noob forgot to wipe the oil filter housing when he did and oil change and when he was driving away all the oil spilt out and he never knew untill he parked the car outside and got out and saw the oil stain in the snow. I'm just glad it wasn't my car;)

I know Fort Road has two guys that I know personally, and both have at least 20 years experience.

That being said - I hate CT as well. I've seen them push cars in at night - by lining up the mechanic's POS car and matching the bumpers and giving her gas.

TaLoN
February 18th, 2004, 09:16 AM
for starters its your own stupidity to take to Great west they have always had a bad rep there I would never take any car odf mine or refer it to anyone. but if you did want to go to a dealership Crosstown motors is pretty good i havent had any problems there and they havent screwed me over or anything like that. And im pretty sure they are alot better then CT. But as long as everything is fixed and hopefully you get your money back there is no problems. Everyone likes to take there cars to different places based on their own experiences. So if you like Crappy tire then go for it.

Danny

TaLoN
February 18th, 2004, 09:16 AM
for starters its your own stupidity to take to Great west they have always had a bad rep there I would never take any car odf mine or refer it to anyone. but if you did want to go to a dealership Crosstown motors is pretty good i havent had any problems there and they havent screwed me over or anything like that. And im pretty sure they are alot better then CT. But as long as everything is fixed and hopefully you get your money back there is no problems. Everyone likes to take there cars to different places based on their own experiences. So if you like Crappy tire then go for it.

Danny

-]TooL[-
February 18th, 2004, 09:21 AM
And I get an estimate back for $1300!! Needs a new clutch. Uh, yeah, right. I come here, ask for advice (I was sure it was the slave/master, but wanted to make sure). And I took my car back, they still charged me for 'looking' at the car (um, did you even OPEN THE HOOD?).

Did you sign the work order authorizing diagnosis? Did you tell them how long to spend on it? They do need your auth for any work done. If you signed the WO, you may get some $$ back. Talk to the service manager. I would also get broken down exactly what they did, it should be on the repair invoice anyway.

Bad Egg
February 18th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Canadian Tire: Don't know if it is still true but a friend who worked there once told me the mechanics made a commission on repairs...that would tend to lead to them finding things that may not be there. That does not mean they are all crooks, but I think finding a good independent shop is a safer bet. If the shop is any good they won't have time to fix imaginary problems, they have real work to do. And last time CT fixed a flat for me I found the tire pressure to be 54 PSI...so I don't have a lot of faith in them.

Great Weasel Chrysler: I got to tour the shop, when the sleazeball salesman was trying to sell me something. The outfit that owns that place (and almost every other dealership in the west end and other parts of the city) has gotten a well deserved poor reputation for their tactics.

ehos
February 18th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Yup, my bad for taking my car to the dealership, but I figured they'd do a good fast job (I didn't feel like doing it, bad on me for being lazy) as I'm moving houses and my tools are all over.

I didn't get the clutch job done (obviously) as they're tools. I'm getting my diagnostic money back (just for principle's sake, the money is piddly).

Zippies: I will for sure go there next time.

Actually, I'll just do the work myself. I broke my own rule of NEVER TAKE YOUR CAR IN! :)

-=MJ=-
February 18th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Bad Egg
Canadian Tire: Don't know if it is still true but a friend who worked there once told me the mechanics made a commission on repairs...that would tend to lead to them finding things that may not be there. That does not mean they are all crooks, but I think finding a good independent shop is a safer bet. If the shop is any good they won't have time to fix imaginary problems, they have real work to do. And last time CT fixed a flat for me I found the tire pressure to be 54 PSI...so I don't have a lot of faith in them.

Yes they do get paid only on what they do. No base salary and it is not true comission. They go to some site and it says how many hours it will take and anything less than that they get it and they get paid by the difficulty of the job. This excludes tire guys which get paid by the hour and they are almost all dumbasses. One guy put another hole in a tire cuz he had nothing better to do:rolleyes:

ehos
February 18th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Ok, I know you all hate CT. BUT, they said it would take 4-5 days to get in my Mitsu part (makes sense), but the guy there took the slave cyl and x-refed the parts number and got it done in one day.

I think that's beyond the call of duty (he said he had some spare time).

My car drives like a dream again!

newtuner
February 19th, 2004, 12:08 AM
I don't know what I was thinking but I have taken my cars to crappy tire a few times. I also know a mechanic that works there, he is the only one that I let work on my car at CT. When I was buying my new car (new to me) I took it to the CT in Millwoods. I got the 110 point inspection done on it. When I came back they told me that they couldn't do all 110 points. I asked why and the guy said that because of my engin type('95 2.3L quad four) they could not hook it up to the machine to test the electrical system. I asked why, he said "thire guy" that makes the "custome" harrness to hook the engin to the machine was not there. Now this would be fine in somecases but, I bought a SUNFIRE and I'm sure as hell that was not the first Sunfire to roll into thire shop. So wouldn't they have this "custom" harrness made already, to top it off they didn't even give me a deal. The guy that I know told me once a guy was doing an oil change on a brand new Blazer (first oil change on it) and they owner came to pick it up and got one block away before the engin crapped out, turns out the guy never put any oil back in. CT had to buy the guy a whole new engin.

2003specv
February 19th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by ehos
Uh huh, on fuking rocket fuel, down a hill, being pulled by a viper maybe.
LMAO!!!!! Dude, you just made my day. :D

ChromeDragon
February 19th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Well I don't want to get into a big long rant about the two bad experiences that happened with myself and my family at Crappy Tire so I'll sum them up.

1. Rear wheel bearing goes on our '84 Mazda 626 and gets so bad that when they lift it up on the hoist the wheel literally falls off(drum still attached). We're a little startled(this was back when I was in high school and didn't have nearly as much car knowledge as I now have), but ask them to do us up a quote. The next day we get a call saying the quote is done, and it turns out to be $2,200. This included replacing the axle(which the car doesn't have since it had independent rear suspension), all the rear brakes etc. In the end it cost $32.80 for the bearings and a tube of grease to pack them. Just a slight difference in price.

2. My sister blows a rear wheel brake cylinder in her '88 Topaz and the closest place to take it is Crappy Tire on the southside. Once there she signs authorization to replace the cylinder on that side as well as that wheel's brake pads(since they were soaking in brake fluid). Original quote comes out to just over $100. She comes back the next day to pick up the car and after receiving the bill gives us a call on the verge of tears. The bill is now $1800 and being a University student she obviously can't afford this and needs my dad to come down and help her pay for it. I come down with them, look at the invoice for work done and then ask to see what she authorized. I then tell the service manager that all the work done was not authorized and we would like all the unrequested parts removed. He looks at me, goes and talks to some people and comes back to let us know that someone screwed up and it's not worth their time to pull all the parts off, just pay the original invoice price and go on our way. The morons in the back had replaced all the brakes on the car, and I mean literally all the brakes. Lines, master cylinder, drums, rotors, ebrake cables, shoes, pads, wheel cylinders. So in the end their little fuckup got her brandnew brakes on the whole car for just over $100.:bthumbup:

Chromey