PDA

View Full Version : Winter Survivabilty Mods?

HLVW Wrecker
November 8th, 2011, 02:00 PM
who here is doin what to their rig's to help make it through winter? Majority of my mods have been posted in the "recent purchase/ recent shot of your car" threads.

ChuckNorrisKicksAss
November 8th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I'm going to put my winter tires on, and drive my car like a race car all winter long.

EvoBEAST
November 8th, 2011, 02:17 PM
This is my first time driving a 4X4 for winter. I usually had a car of some sort. Managed to get my hands on a decent 01 Jimmy. The tires are good, so thats not a problem. I would love to get my hands on a Bull bar and Winch set up. Possibly some HIDs` or Roof spotlights. But all that stuff is hard to come by for the Jimmy. I have a solid tow rope too and booster cables.

HLVW Wrecker
November 8th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Beartrax can either find it, or make it(wicked fab skills, currently has a KOA buggy and KOA Modified class Comanche under construction) and he will, out of spite, beat any canadian supplier's price.

EvoBEAST
November 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Beartrax can either find it, or make it(wicked fab skills, currently has a KOA buggy and KOA Modified class Comanche under construction) and he will, out of spite, beat any canadian supplier's price.

i will email right now

thank you

but if you ever see one, let me know.. i know they are really expensive new, and diiirt cheap used.

Ayeso
November 8th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Blizzaks, put the blankets back in the car, make sure first aid kit is good ! The usual!

HLVW Wrecker
November 8th, 2011, 03:08 PM
i will email right now

thank you

but if you ever see one, let me know.. i know they are really expensive new, and diiirt cheap used.

best bet is to call instead of email, since the phone is pretty much glues to his ear

IRON MAN
November 8th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Got some bigger tires with some nice tread on the expeditiom, just installed HID high, low and fogs. Also have a home made plow truck out of a F250, warn winch, big tires shit load of sand bags in the box and a wicked plow on the front and lots of chains

M3GUSTA
November 8th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I have a tow rope Under my seat. Collapse-able shovel, blankets, first aid kit. Putting a new set of BFG A/T's on next week and I'm going to buy a portable battery booster.

blam
November 8th, 2011, 04:40 PM
winter tires, and i have a rescue strap, a portable booster, a blanket, and i might get a shovel...

HLVW Wrecker
November 8th, 2011, 04:48 PM
the shovel is a VERY good idea, same with the portable booster(aslong as they are kept inside, plugged in, cause they will loose their charge if kept in the vehicle all the times)

iLLlegal
November 8th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I just put booster cables, tow strap, blanket, winter tires, flashlight, and motha fuckin sheepskin seat covers. oh and of course the snow brush/ice scraper

Hawx
November 8th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I was thinking of picking up one of those farmers jacks with the special mount for uneven ground but those are great for all year round. Also one of those hitches with the D-ring on it.

HLVW Wrecker
November 8th, 2011, 06:07 PM
the high-lift jack is a good idea, i got mine from Beartrax, "might" get one of the jack-plates aswell, failing that i have a bunch of wood planks and pieces i can use. I picked up one of the d-ring receivers from beartrax awhile ago aswell, great unit to have.

conor14
November 8th, 2011, 06:42 PM
winter tires, car starter, blankets, scraper, sheep skin seat covers seem like an awesome idea...

& battery, alternator, fluids, spark plugs, brake pads. (needs to be done)

IRON MAN
November 8th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Almost forgot the custom Ukrainian mod... Cardboard in front of the rad!

Hawx
November 8th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Haha forgot about that! We took some thermo-pan from our plumbers and stuck it behind the grill of the work diesel. Boss didn't want to spend money on a proper winter front so makeshift it was!

HLVW Wrecker
November 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM
the '90 chev i got has a winter front on it, just need to get one and possibly a under-engine blanket aswell.

Cordt
November 8th, 2011, 08:32 PM
good battery
good tires

good to go

maximaj30
November 8th, 2011, 08:32 PM
i dunno how things are gonna pan out, i dont know how a light RWD truck is gonna work for winter :lol: im sure its gonna be fine seeing its a 2km drive to work and i dont go out much in winter

Cordt
November 8th, 2011, 08:36 PM
they work fine with decent tires. throw a couple hundred pounds over the axle and youre even better

maximaj30
November 8th, 2011, 08:49 PM
yeah whoever had it last before they dumped the truck off at the farm put new brakes and tires on it. weight in the back might not be a bad idea though

EDISKRAD EHT
November 8th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Put a hard top on the Jeep, and new tires on the Exploder.

GavintheGiant
November 9th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Tossing around the idea of getting one of those large rubber water bags used to weigh down the back of the truck, if I find that I have weight issues this year. Running without a spare tire and spare tire mount assembly this time around so I'm hoping the weight difference isn't going to cause me to slide around a lot more... Or do I ;)

Also going to buy a small blanket, booster cables, some gloves and other things to stay warm in the case that a breakdown or accident does occur and I can't get anywhere warm for a while.

MaverickXeo
November 9th, 2011, 07:51 AM
All I need to do is lower tire pressure a little more; probably put them to 24PSI.

I wont be using 4x4 either this year, again, but this time its because of my aussie up front.

AudiInProgress
November 9th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I've got a helmet and a tow rope in the car... Good to go.

MyGTR
November 9th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Best "mod" you can make is to your brain and your right foot.

The rest of the stuff mentioned is mostly "throwing stuff in your car that you'll need after you hit the ditch". :facepalm:

Ayeso
November 9th, 2011, 11:21 AM

The rest of the stuff mentioned is mostly "throwing stuff in your car that you'll need after you hit the ditch". :facepalm:

OR stuff you throw in your car after someone hits you, or if your car breaks down, etc... its not always about YOU causing the problem, its good to be prepared in case something happens :)

MyGTR
November 9th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Not bashing the stuff one puts in one's car. That stuff totally makes sense, but they're not mods. ;)

Maybe add, "watching out for other idiots" as a mod. :)

Ayeso
November 9th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Not bashing the stuff one puts in one's car. That stuff totally makes sense, but they're not mods. ;)

Maybe add, "watching out for other idiots" as a mod. :)

I wonder if I can buy a idiot detector and make that a mod.... or a All season tire detector

HLVW Wrecker
November 9th, 2011, 12:10 PM
if you got your eyes turned on then spotting that shit would be no issue

SilverNeonRacer
November 9th, 2011, 05:38 PM

Some of us have idiot kits for helping other people out of the ditch.

My year round idiot kit consists of:
First aid kit with 2 CPR masks
10K lbs tow rope
20K lbs recovery strap (For those of you with "tow" ropes those are different that recovery straps)
Ring receiver mount.
Various shackles and slings
4 - Collapsable pylons
Fleece Blanket.
Torque wrench
Various other tools.(sockets sets/lug nut spinner/etc)
For the winter I make sure my booster cables are in the truck.

For "Mods"
I made a skid plate to protect my rad.
I still need to put my winter tires back on.
I'm thinking of adding an 8000lbs winch.

se7en
November 9th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Battery warmer, one of those coolant circulation thing's, passive interior heater, winter front.

Don't even need a garage with that setup.

Cordt
November 10th, 2011, 08:22 AM
you don't need a garage period....if you have a good battery and your car isn't a piece it should start all the time. add a block heater for really cold days and you're gold

HLVW Wrecker
November 10th, 2011, 09:40 AM
you don't need a garage period

you think your garage may be pregnant? :)

Cipher
November 10th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Got my Nokian WRG2's on the lil Fit and some PIAA 2500k plasma ion yellow H4's. I'll probably throw one of my like 4 sets of booster cables back in my car and my first aid kit.

And if things get REALLLLY tough Mike lives right down the street so I'll call him and whine like a bitch to come rescue my lil car. Although doubtful that'll happen as I made it fine last year with the AE86. Hell if I can I may try and rock that this winter for a few months. Slap on my bolt on halogen sealed fogs and make like takumi and deliver tofu.

Cordt
November 10th, 2011, 04:06 PM
you think your garage may be pregnant? :)

i wish...one can only imagine what kind of awesomeness a garage could birth..

MaverickXeo
November 11th, 2011, 01:08 PM
you don't need a garage period....if you have a good battery and your car isn't a piece it should start all the time. add a block heater for really cold days and you're gold

I let my z31 sit outside all last year, and fired it up after 4 months (I tried in Feb) and all I had to do was put the battery in, and it fired up better than 90% of vehicles sitting for that long.

Driven
November 11th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Tested battery.. got a battery blanket.. block heater works mint.. got a compustar starter.. winter tires. Oh and Mike Ryan on the payroll.

maximaj30
November 11th, 2011, 08:01 PM
im never parking outside again, i did it one year in the Maxima and it sucked balls. Supras in the garage at my parents place and the truck is in the heated parkade at my cousins apartment

iLLlegal
November 11th, 2011, 10:23 PM
im never parking outside again, i did it one year in the Maxima and it sucked balls. Supras in the garage at my parents place and the truck is in the heated parkade at my cousins apartment

this will be my first year with heated underground parking. you have no idea how excited I am to wake up and drive to work in an already warm car with no snow on it. I haven't had a car started since 08 and life sucks without it

maximaj30
November 11th, 2011, 10:36 PM
this will be my first year with heated underground parking. you have no idea how excited I am to wake up and drive to work in an already warm car with no snow on it. I haven't had a car started since 08 and life sucks without it

yeah i was pretty happy to get parking there, i didnt want to park the truck outside. its just a 5 minute walk to the apartment which is nice

not having winter would be even better though

M3GUSTA
November 11th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Ggot a trickle charger so when I Park my truck at the rig the battery doesn't die after a few weeks

doula
November 12th, 2011, 01:42 AM
I carry the BIG jack.
The BIG snipe.
The awesome tire changer cross thingy (wtf can't remember what it's called now).

That way, if someone is broken down on the side of the road trying to change their tire with that piddly ass jack and that piddle ass tool... I pull up and change their tire like a in 4 minutes flat. I look like such a hero to my wife...

;) :)

Cmclean
November 12th, 2011, 10:24 AM
One thing I really want is a circulating block heater. One with a pump, not by convection/lower rad hose. Soooo sweet. I can leave it plugged in, turned to hot inside, and it will keep not only the engine warm, but leak a little inside to start pre defrosting the windows. But they are really hard to find......

PLEASE
If anyone knows where to get one, please post, PM, email, call, text, etc.!

midnite
November 12th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Plus it's great coming home after using the carwash.

Cordt
November 12th, 2011, 11:51 AM
One thing I really want is a circulating block heater. One with a pump, not by convection/lower rad hose. Soooo sweet. I can leave it plugged in, turned to hot inside, and it will keep not only the engine warm, but leak a little inside to start pre defrosting the windows. But they are really hard to find......

PLEASE
If anyone knows where to get one, please post, PM, email, call, text, etc.!

2 seconds of google finds one locally..... http://answers.canadiantire.ca/answers/9045/product/0303294P/no-zerostart-tank-circulation-engine-heater-questions-answers/questions.htm

Cmclean
November 12th, 2011, 11:56 AM
2 seconds of google finds one locally..... http://answers.canadiantire.ca/answers/9045/product/0303294P/no-zerostart-tank-circulation-engine-heater-questions-answers/questions.htm

Whenever I call, they say they never have heard of them......

EDIT:Now the guy says he has hundreds....wtf......

Cordt
November 12th, 2011, 12:15 PM
is this canadian tire? you usually have to print the picture or find it in the flyer and physically show them what you want...and even then it's pretty hit & miss...lol

oh wait i guess that one just works by convection. still from what i read it works very well..probably loads better than a normal block heater. throw that in with an oil pan heater and youll virtually never be running a cold engine

nismomaniak
November 12th, 2011, 10:28 PM
lots of places carry inline coolant heaters too, but that unit may work better. im not sure

AuZZZie
November 13th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Anyone driven a winter on MT tires?

I'm a bit torn. I want to do some powder off roading this winter which I've heard my current tires are awesome for, but I've never driven winter roads on MT's. Not sure how bad they will be.

GavintheGiant
November 13th, 2011, 01:05 AM
I had BFG M/T's I didn't really like em on the roads at all to be honest. Didn't grip very well on anything. Spun much much more than my all seasons, but if you are easy on it, it's definitely manageable. Are your's siped? I'm told that helps a bit, as mine weren't.

Sudzie
November 13th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Auz, think of a hockey puck on ice. Thats what MT tires will be like. If you want to run them, I would say at least get them siped or pick up a siping tool and do it your self.
Link to a DIY
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TireSiping.shtml

Cordt
November 13th, 2011, 09:46 AM
just shoot sheet metal screws into them. done and done

Cmclean
November 13th, 2011, 10:47 AM
lots of places carry inline coolant heaters too, but that unit may work better. im not sure

What places are these?

nismomaniak
November 13th, 2011, 11:55 AM
local parts stores, gypsy tire, napa, walmart, ive seen them numerous times, even replaced one in my dads truck but i cant recall where i got it. it was the king that was almost like a coupling in your rad hose, just cut a small piece out, stick the unit in, two clamps, done.

Cmclean
November 13th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Well I'm going to get a 1000 Watt 8000 Series ZeroStart/Philips&Temro from Kingsway Canadian Tire. 1500 Watts seems too much, correct? It's for a 5/8" hose, which hose is that in the engine? The ones going to the heater core? Still not sure it has a pump, and I'm a little worried....

HLVW Wrecker
November 13th, 2011, 01:12 PM
have you researched it at all? measured your hoses?

Cmclean
November 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Researched it extensively. Believe the only hose that is 5/8" is the heater hoses going into the cab/core.

nismomaniak
November 13th, 2011, 03:25 PM
i believe most people just put it in their lower rad hose, im not sure if you will find one thats 5/8, and even if you did that doesnt seem like the heating element would be big enough to do anything. its main purpose is to heat the motor, not the heater core.

Cmclean
November 13th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Faaaack just found out the friggen thing has no pump

HLVW Wrecker
November 13th, 2011, 11:47 PM
that sucks, time to get an oilpan heater

Cmclean
November 14th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Mmhhhh nah. I'm going for warm coolant, and quick warm interior. Plus it puts out a ridiculous amount of power and I'll be able to quickly warm the oil as well.

I need diagrams for the cooling system of a 2000 Silverado 5.3L V8. Guess I could head back to CanTire where I bought it and ask. Anywhere else? The instructions it came with were dumb and didn't explain very well.....

HLVW Wrecker
November 14th, 2011, 12:10 AM
haynes or chilton manual

Cordt
November 14th, 2011, 01:17 AM
warm oil is more important than warm coolant IMO. obviously both is best but if you're going for one or the other, definitely go with oil...it will save your engine in the long run.

Cmclean
November 14th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I agree, yet am not too worried. With this much power, and synthetic oil. It'll be fine. I may even use both heaters in extreme cold...

Cordt
November 14th, 2011, 11:54 AM
i would like to wire all three heaters (oil, block, and inline for the rad) together and have them permanently installed. 1 plug warming your entire vehicle would be awesome. too bad it would probably blow every breaker you plug it into unless you had it built for that purpose lol

Cmclean
November 14th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Don't forget your battery warmer and interior warmer!

Cipher
November 15th, 2011, 06:41 PM
i would like to wire all three heaters (oil, block, and inline for the rad) together and have them permanently installed. 1 plug warming your entire vehicle would be awesome. too bad it would probably blow every breaker you plug it into unless you had it built for that purpose lol

The fuck... Why have a block heater and an inline heater for the rad? That's Just silly...

nismomaniak
November 15th, 2011, 07:11 PM
an inline heater actually works a lot better than a block heater believe it or not

Cmclean
November 15th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Technically it's less efficient.... More waste really to air I believe. Umm faster warm up time? Someone might just want to plug in for an hour and go, rather than 2-3. But it could be more efficient as well. ie if a 1000 watt heater for an hour (1.0 kWh) vs a 400 watt for three hours (1.2 kWh). Err, extreme cold and wanting a warm car? Also, reducing wear and such.....

nismomaniak
November 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM
if you use a block heater and then use a block heater and run your car, youll notice that you get heat faster with an inline in my expierience, science aside.

Boatmobile
April 8th, 2012, 09:59 PM
If you get this far in the thread...

Here's my two cents for essential winter addons:

1.) Skid plate (I have a Thor skid plate, which is best for my Audi in my opinion, but search for the best for your vehicle).
2.) Winter tires (some wouldn't consider this an addon, but many just use all-seasons year 'round).
3.) CTEK intelligent battery charger: MORE IMPORTANT THAN BLOCK HEATER. Many argue this, but in my opinion, if it's one or the other, then a car that starts with cold oil is much better in -40C than a car with warm oil but a dead battery. You'll even get a really shitty battery to start in -35C (or colder) as long as you plug in your CTEK whenever you'd normally plug in your block heater. They're small - smaller than my hand - and they can be mounted under the hood anywhere if you like, so if you have a block heater too, then plug in both of them under the hood, to an extension cord, and run the extension cord to the receptacle you normally use for the block heater. The battery is the weak link in the chain for getting the car moving when it's stupid cold. You will never face a dead battery again with a CTEK. Get one.
4.) Block heater if you don't already have one (my car didn't have one when I got it).
5.) Undercoating if your car isn't undercoated yet, and rust-protection too for that matter. I went to the West side Ziebart in Edmonton for undercoating and rust-proofing because Ziebart invented undercoating. They did a great job, and you can get it touched up/re-done each year for cheap.

non-essentials to consider for your baby:

6.) HID fogs for the sole reason that they look awesome in the snow :D
7.) 3M film to protect your paint job from flying rocks/sand/etc.
8.) Full-sized spare tire and a real jack (not the gay factory jack). Rolling on a donut sized spare in the winter can be dicey.
9.) AMA membership (free towing, free getting your keys out if you lock them in the car, free little bit of gas delivered if you run out of gas like a foo, free boosting, etc, for a total of like $60 a year or something).
10.) "High temp thermostat" for your car if the heat/air vents aren't as warm as you'd like them to be (don't worry, it won't get hot enough to hurt your car).
11.) Heated seats. Even if your car doesn't have them, I saw at the Edmonton Motor Show this year that there is a heated seat thing you can get that can be put on your existing seats like the bead seat covers that New York City cabbies use.
12.) Grilled cheese sandwich maker to ride shotgun with you. Now that's a distracted driver.