PDA

View Full Version : Timelapse. I need tips. I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

fugu
March 25th, 2013, 08:04 PM
I won't say what i'm timelapsing but I need some tips, I've never done it and it would be a huge let down if it failed.

-Timelapse will be taken indoors
-I'm thinking a sturdy base that absolutely doesn't move would be ideal.
-I love the timelapses that let the camera move. Should I do this? What rate do you move the camera? I can set a timer every hour to move it or move it every 10-15 minutes, not sure if more frequent is better...
-I'm using a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition, I have 3 batteries for it and more then enough mounts to put it somewhere out of the way.
-I will be filming my activity for as long as 12 hours a day for 3 days. Whats a recommended picture interval for say a 3 minute video. (guess I could do some math on that one).

Next is software. What does a person do to produce a timelapse at 720P with all the hundreds of pictures.?

Over my head or easily acheivable?

Just remembered I have a Tripod as well.

If at 10second intervals there would be 6 pictures per minute , 360 pictures per hour and at 24fps in a video would produce a clip of 15 seconds right? 8 hours of pictures would produce a 2 minute clip.

Victorious Secret
March 25th, 2013, 08:37 PM
If you're using OSX there are apps like StarStax for overlaying ALL the photos into a single image, thus giving that awesome effect of star trails and there is Time Lapse Assembler which lets you make a video composed of all those images.

Generally when people move they have rigs that are set to move, and I'm talking about rails and motorized heads. I've never tried it with manual adjustments, you'll need to be VERY precise with it though and make minimal movements and get as many shots with those movements in order to keep the video smooth.

Last time I tried it I had roughly 800 pictures over an entire night with 25 second exposures and 10 second intervals.

Play around with exposure and interval settings till you create something that works for your particular shoot.

Terminator
June 10th, 2013, 01:43 AM
fugu, did you end up doing this? If so post the video!

fitz01
June 10th, 2013, 07:28 AM
I'd like to do this for a chopper build, on e it's off the ground lol. Definitely
Post the video!!

fugu
June 10th, 2013, 07:31 AM
I did give this a try and unfortunately the battery in the go pro didn't last as long as expected , instead of putting together 30 hours worth of work the battery lasted about 3-4 hours. I'll look at it again and see if it's worth an upload.

ozzmodan
June 10th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Apparently too late but...

Lots of Go Pro guys adapt an Ikea kitchen timer to do time lapses.

http://www.getawaymoments.com/2011/07/how-to-make-cheap-and-easy-ikea-time.html

silvia s13
June 11th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Interesting. Ill have to give this a try. Thanks for the link!

Apparently too late but...

Lots of Go Pro guys adapt an Ikea kitchen timer to do time lapses.

http://www.getawaymoments.com/2011/07/how-to-make-cheap-and-easy-ikea-time.html