PDA

View Full Version : advice for rookies

suburban_burner
July 8th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Looking at getting into motorcycles, 250 or 500cc. Heard 250s get boring pretty quick. And cheap place to take classes for it?

Mustard
July 8th, 2013, 10:17 PM
And cheap place to take classes for it?

famous last words?

JoshP2002
July 8th, 2013, 10:31 PM
I would choose a 500 to start if it were me, but, it's late in the season. A 250 might be fine, and then just resell it in the fall.

All classes are around 4-500. I took mine at TNT motorcycling in West Edmonton, it was a great class. Definitely one of the best things you can do for yourself IMO.

XEX
July 8th, 2013, 10:45 PM
I did mine at CTEC in St. Albert, very beneficial. My advice, spend the money and get the course, it's worth it. And they gave me a bunch of 10-25% off at places like Argyll which I used to help buy gear. I started with a 650cc ER6N. It's all about respecting the bike, never showing off, obeying the law, not driving beyond your ability, and focusing on riding not something else.

My only other recommendation compare gear prices on canadasmotorcycle.com

GS430
July 9th, 2013, 08:54 AM
This topic keeps getting brought up, they should have a sticky titled "Advice for new motorcycle riders"

- 250cc is fine for a starter bike, so is a 500cc. 600's are even fine if you don't abuse it.
- Don't be an idiot with it, you WILL hurt yourself or worse.
- The courses all run for ~500$, so there's no such thing as a cheap course.
- Buy AND wear proper equipment at all times. Helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, at least jeans. (try it on in store, buy online)

Most importantly, have fun. It's a great hobby and a thrill every time I sit on my bike.

Danger
July 9th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Everything he said.

250 will be a way better bike then you are rider. And when you reach the poit when you think it's too slow you bring it to strato and I know 5' tall Asian girl that will show you you're still too slow to need a bigger bike. A 250 is also completely happy doing 160 down the hiway all day. Or so I hear.

Depending on how your self control is you can be fine on a 600ss. It's all in your mentality. If your head is screwed on strait you'll never have a problem. If it isn't, well, YouTube has all sorts of examples of what can and will happen.

If you have some smart people to ride with you can be fine without a course but it's always a good idea to take one.

Like GS430 said WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!! I can show you what happens to a hoodie at around 60 in a smooth parking lot of you think a hoodie is fine hahaha

EDISKRAD EHT
July 9th, 2013, 09:42 AM
As long as the bike has ABS and traction control, it's pretty well impossible to crash.

Danger
July 9th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Unless you shut them off causebadassbikerboy

Insomniac
July 9th, 2013, 11:35 AM
As long as the bike has ABS and traction control, it's pretty well impossible to crash.

Is that why the guy beside me was able to ride his S1000RR into the grass 4 times without crashing his first time out but binned it on his third session on his new track bike?

Danger
July 9th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Exactly.............

catlin987987
July 9th, 2013, 01:21 PM
It also depends on what kind of bike. My current is a KLX650. Not even comparable to a sport 600 in terms of speed, but rides like a bicycle.

Danger
July 9th, 2013, 01:45 PM
That's why I said 600ss (super sport) you can go but something like a 400 supermoto gear it to the moon and never have a speed related issue

EDISKRAD EHT
July 9th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Is that why the guy beside me was able to ride his S1000RR into the grass 4 times without crashing his first time out but binned it on his third session on his new track bike?

Exactly. The S1000RR is the GTR of the bike world. It pretty well rides itself.

suburban_burner
July 9th, 2013, 05:05 PM
thanks for the tips, I was thinking of going to ctec but heard they were more expensive but if they are all the same ill swing by and try to get something set up for the end of this season/ beginning of next. not to worried about my self control have a decently powerful car and am pretty good about not being a dbag in it. think I will try and get on a 500cc as a starter.

Insomniac
July 9th, 2013, 05:25 PM
If it makes any difference I've been riding for a few years. Started on a 70 HP bike. Now on a 600 class super sport.

I literally never ride on the street anymore because a fast bike on the street is annoying and frustrating. If I wanted to street ride I might try a motard or cafe racer. Something you can rag on and still have fun on. Speed isn't everything... That said, 250cc can get boring quick.

nismomaniak
July 9th, 2013, 06:23 PM
It all depends on you. Some people can jump on litre bikes and not ride like a dummy. Others ride like a retard and end up in the trees broken in half. You know yourself best. Just realize that you will crash eventually. Plan your budget around fixing what you've broken when you crash. Dont blow your wad on your first bike.

EDISKRAD EHT
July 9th, 2013, 06:46 PM
a fast bike on the street is annoying and frustrating.

I don't agree.

I like my liter bike for the street because the down low torque makes it more enjoyable than a 600 for just putting around.

I owned a chopper for a while and rent a Harley almost every summer while I'm in Kelowna. While the Harley is ok to ride through the mountains, and the chopper was just the stupidest thing on the entire F'n planet. All both of them did/do is remind me how much I enjoy the refinement of a sportbike. You don't have to be squidding it up every time you're out there. That's like saying there's no point in driving RWD cars because you just want to drift them around every car. Just because something is there, you don't 'have' to use it.

Come to the track more, and maybe you wont have the 'need for speed' on the street. :)

the_fornicator
July 9th, 2013, 07:53 PM
I started on a 600f4i and had 0 issues. Didn't take a class. However, that might be the reason why I'm the slowest on the track out of my group of friends lol

Plan for the following: (these are average prices -you can find cheaper or more expensive)
* Jacket for $500
* Boots for $300
* Gauntlet gloves for $250
* Helmet for $600
* Possibly Kevlar jeans for $200

Total for gear = $1650-$1850. You can get cheaper stuff, but your skin and body will hate you if you ever crash. Don't cheap out on your helmet.

EDISKRAD EHT
July 9th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Don't cheap out on your helmet.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/EDISKRAD666/Apollo/20130623_170934_zps86771de2.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/EDISKRAD666/media/Apollo/20130623_170934_zps86771de2.jpg.html)

the_fornicator
July 9th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Just don't spend as much as ^ that guy on a helmet ;)

Insomniac
July 9th, 2013, 09:16 PM
I don't agree.

I like my liter bike for the street because the down low torque makes it more enjoyable than a 600 for just putting around.

Come to the track more, and maybe you wont have the 'need for speed' on the street. :)

I like to ring out the engine, shift gears, revmatch, etc. when on the street. I find that fun. My sv had lots of torque and sounded good. It was very fun and the riding position and geometry was good for street speeds. It was a great bike below 100km/h.

I find super sports annoying because you can't use the engines rev range at city speed, they find their rhythm at 80-160km/h.

I like to call sport bikes "track bikes" cuz that's where they belong. :)

XEX
July 9th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I started on a 600f4i and had 0 issues. Didn't take a class. However, that might be the reason why I'm the slowest on the track out of my group of friends lol

Plan for the following: (these are average prices -you can find cheaper or more expensive)
* Jacket for $500
* Boots for $300
* Gauntlet gloves for $250
* Helmet for $600
* Possibly Kevlar jeans for $200

Total for gear = $1650-$1850. You can get cheaper stuff, but your skin and body will hate you if you ever crash. Don't cheap out on your helmet.

You can get quality gear at a lower price point, just look around and do research. As I stated canadasmotorcycle.ca has some very good prices as does revzilla. I found my icon contra jacket at a local dealer for $270 and found it online for $170 close out deal. Just shop around and make quality purchases.

Hawx
July 9th, 2013, 09:51 PM

Thanks for posting your price ranges, at least I've got a point of reference now for when I budget for a bike. I suppose it's all 'you get what you pay for' when it comes to gear.

krea.tion
July 9th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Thanks for posting your price ranges, at least I've got a point of reference now for when I budget for a bike. I suppose it's all 'you get what you pay for' when it comes to gear.

Try Rider's Discount, they have great prices.

the_fornicator
July 9th, 2013, 10:02 PM
You can get quality gear at a lower price point, just look around and do research. As I stated canadasmotorcycle.ca has some very good prices as does revzilla. I found my icon contra jacket at a local dealer for $270 and found it online for $170 close out deal. Just shop around and make quality purchases.

(these are average prices -you can find cheaper or more expensive)

You said quality purchases, but you bought an icon jacket. Isn't that kind of contradictory? :p

EDISKRAD EHT
July 9th, 2013, 10:35 PM
I found my icon jacket

Squid.

________

nismomaniak
July 10th, 2013, 06:40 AM
What he said.

Danger
July 10th, 2013, 08:02 AM
I got all my gear for about $600 new. But that is because riverside had jackets that were 2 years old and they were practically giving them away. The rest I got from Canada's motorcycle. Hell I got my suit for $190 used. Hahaha

Oh and.... Damn squid!

fast316
July 10th, 2013, 09:38 AM
I love 'new rider advice' threads for a few reasons. They are always good for a laugh. A lot of the blind leading the blind going on here. These kinda threads also take me back to my super newb days. When I thought Icon, and burn outs were cool, getting the front tire 6'' off the ground scared the shit outta me, and I would count down every second of the day until I could get off work and go ride, rain or shine, didn't matter all I wanted to do was ride.

the_fornicator
July 10th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Getting my front tire 6" off the ground still scares me hahaha

nismomaniak
July 10th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I love 'new rider advice' threads for a few reasons. They are always good for a laugh. A lot of the blind leading the blind going on here. These kinda threads also take me back to my super newb days. When I thought Icon, and burn outs were cool, getting the front tire 6'' off the ground scared the shit outta me, and I would count down every second of the day until I could get off work and go ride, rain or shine, didn't matter all I wanted to do was ride.
I miss those days..

OutOfFocus
September 13th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Woah woah woah. What's wrong with ICON? I've been riding for 15 years now and owned all kinds of gear. Unfortunately, I have a HUGE square German head with glasses so the ICON helmets are the only ones that fit me comfortably. I've just realized that I've got ICON gloves and a plain black ICON jacket. Boots are SIDI. I'm just curious as to why the ICON hate?

ChuckNorrisKicksAss
September 13th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Woah woah woah. What's wrong with ICON? I've been riding for 15 years now and owned all kinds of gear. Unfortunately, I have a HUGE square German head with glasses so the ICON helmets are the only ones that fit me comfortably. I've just realized that I've got ICON gloves and a plain black ICON jacket. Boots are SIDI. I'm just curious as to why the ICON hate?

Because its the brand of choice for people who can't ride worth a fuck, but think they are the next Rossi. I consider them the same as Ed Hardy in the clothing world.

Insomniac
September 13th, 2013, 10:02 AM
At least it's cheap. I give them some credit for being more affordable. That said, the quality is comensurate with the price.

Sudzie
September 13th, 2013, 10:22 AM
And at least it is better then no gear at all...

EDISKRAD EHT
September 13th, 2013, 06:31 PM
I've got ICON gloves and a plain black ICON jacket.

Squid.....

Danger
September 13th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Squid.....

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/jo-psyko/null_zpsa45b83c8.png

OutOfFocus
September 15th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Squid.....

Eat a bag of dicks Dana!