PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket gearing suggestions?

krea.tion
August 15th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a new chain/sprocket kit for my 09 R6 and I'm contemplating two options: -1 in the front OR -1 in the front/+2 in the back. I will be primarily tracking the bike. I know a lot of people go with the -1/+2 set up, is it that much better than just going -1? Thanks.

Insomniac
August 15th, 2013, 02:56 PM
I went -1/+2 I think on my triumph. It gives me some good drive out of the corners. I think optimal gearing for our track for a non expert rider would be the shortest gearing possible that allows you to stay in second on the in field.

Play around with the website gearing commando.

the_fornicator
August 15th, 2013, 02:57 PM
-1/+2

Insomniac
August 15th, 2013, 02:58 PM
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Danger
August 15th, 2013, 02:59 PM
-2/+10 because whoolies

EDISKRAD EHT
August 15th, 2013, 10:20 PM
My R6 came ALIVE with -1 +2 at Strato. The -1 wasn't bad, but if you blew a corner in the slightest way, you'd fall out of the powerband. You'll need to control your right hand better though. It pulls significantly harder out of corners because of the sharp power increase at 9-10k on the R6.

Oh, and is your bike tuned in any way? I've got the software to do so, and I could also correct your speedo after your gearing change. My R6 pulls on the 600RR guys decently well on the straights.

krea.tion
August 15th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks peeps.

My R6 came ALIVE with -1 +2 at Strato. The -1 wasn't bad, but if you blew a corner in the slightest way, you'd fall out of the powerband. You'll need to control your right hand better though. It pulls significantly harder out of corners because of the sharp power increase at 9-10k on the R6.

Oh, and is your bike tuned in any way? I've got the software to do so, and I could also correct your speedo after your gearing change. My R6 pulls on the 600RR guys decently well on the straights.

Yes, my bike has the full Graves exhaust and Power Command 5. I think I'll go -1/+2...

Soulfly
August 15th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Thanks peeps.

Yes, my bike has the full Graves exhaust and Power Command 5. I think I'll go -1/+2...

I don't have an R6, But I can tell you that you won't even notice the -1 in front. Go with -1/+2 or +3. I went -1/+3.

EDISKRAD EHT
August 15th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Thanks peeps.

We should run out at the drag strip. See what makes more power. ;)

fast316
August 15th, 2013, 11:23 PM

LOL, do it.

I think this battle may come down to rider more than power, like most motorcycle battles.

EDISKRAD EHT
August 16th, 2013, 07:37 AM
LOL, do it.

I think this battle may come down to rider more than power, like most motorcycle battles.

I was referring to trap speeds though. Not who crosses the line first.

krea.tion
August 16th, 2013, 12:44 PM

I'd be down!

Schramm
August 16th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I think I'm running 15/45 on my RR, and I just tip redline on the 2-3 and 9-1 straight in second.

I don't have an R6, But I can tell you that you won't even notice the -1 in front. Go with -1/+2 or +3. I went -1/+3.

It's not the torque increase you notice, its the hitting redline too early or falling out of power band in the hairpins that you notice.

seevik
August 16th, 2013, 04:22 PM
you mean you don't fall out of power band? that's the big thing I noticed when I went -1/+3

krea.tion
August 16th, 2013, 07:25 PM
My bike has great power right up to redline so I'm not overly worried about losing 'top end' power. Its more in place like out of turn 1 where it takes me awhile to get to the RPMs that the bike likes and I'm losing some time. I've even contemplated downshifting to first entering turn 1.

the_fornicator
August 16th, 2013, 08:03 PM
My bike has great power right up to redline so I'm not overly worried about losing 'top end' power. Its more in place like out of turn 1 where it takes me awhile to get to the RPMs that the bike likes and I'm losing some time. I've even contemplated downshifting to first entering turn 1.

You can try that but it won't work. You'll be going too fast for first when entering T1. Any touch to the throttle other than a perfectly smooth movement of the wrist and you'll lose the back end. Too choppy and you may even experience your first high side.

Soulfly
August 16th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I think I'm running 15/45 on my RR, and I just tip redline on the 2-3 and 9-1 straight in second.

It's not the torque increase you notice, its the hitting redline too early or falling out of power band in the hairpins that you notice.

You would notice, and all the other racer guys.. But to us guys that don't have much track experience... We'd never notice. (That's all my point was).

But I see your point.. having a fair bit of track time, you would want to customize your bike to perform best at the track.

Schramm
August 16th, 2013, 09:09 PM
you mean you don't fall out of power band? that's the big thing I noticed when I went -1/+3

Well ya I think I do, but not as bad as my ninja. I'm going way to fast and doing to many things to downshift into 5, and you don't really need all that power coming out of 8, so the compromise works.

You would notice, and all the other racer guys.. But to us guys that don't have much track experience... We'd never notice. (That's all my point was).

But I see your point.. having a fair bit of track time, you would want to customize your bike to perform best at the track.

Ya, krea.tion rides mainly track now, so we'll get him the right numbers for strato.

krea.tion
August 17th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Well ya I think I do, but not as bad as my ninja. I'm going way to fast and doing to many things to downshift into 5, and you don't really need all that power coming out of 8, so the compromise works.

Ya, krea.tion rides mainly track now, so we'll get him the right numbers for strato.

Its just a shame that we can't ride and race there next year... Where are we going to track? The half finished Castrol track?

Schramm
August 17th, 2013, 07:10 PM
The closer September comes, the more I worry about it. Apparently they're trying to set up a Castrol track day in September now? Just to test it out? But I doubt all the barriers will be down yet...

My plan? Get a job in the states. hahaha

krea.tion
August 18th, 2013, 12:35 AM
The closer September comes, the more I worry about it. Apparently they're trying to set up a Castrol track day in September now? Just to test it out? But I doubt all the barriers will be down yet...

My plan? Get a job in the states. hahaha

Haha yeah migrate south for sure. I just bought this in 15/47 (-1/+2):

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161003777748?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

nismomaniak
August 18th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Alex let me know when you need the tool. Lol

krea.tion
August 18th, 2013, 02:46 PM
The seller is asking me whether I want clip type or rivet type chain, I know clip type is more convenient but.. what do you guys recommend?

Insomniac
August 18th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Rivet for safety on the track

Schramm
August 18th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Ya rivet definitely. 15/47 should be good until you get quicker, then you'll be annoyed by your redline lol, then just bump the rear down a few teeth.

krea.tion
August 18th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Ya rivet definitely. 15/47 should be good until you get quicker, then you'll be annoyed by your redline lol, then just bump the rear down a few teeth.

What do you mean? As I get better I will want to gear down again? That will suck since the chain is a 520 so I will have to get a whole new rear sprocket.

Schramm
August 18th, 2013, 09:11 PM
As you carry more speed through the corners, you'll hit higher speeds at the end of straights, meaning higher revs, or more redlining. Rear sprockets aren't that expensive, $50-$60?

krea.tion
August 18th, 2013, 09:50 PM
As you carry more speed through the corners, you'll hit higher speeds at the end of straights, meaning higher revs, or more redlining. Rear sprockets aren't that expensive, $50-$60?

I was under the impression that with -1/+2, you just barely tap redline coming into turn 1 and into turn 2 and nowhere else. This was from Dana I believe.

EDISKRAD EHT
August 19th, 2013, 12:59 PM
15/47 should be good until you get quicker, then you'll be annoyed by your redline lol

I don't tach out anywhere even at a 1:01 pace. Granted I'm running a (taller) 200 rear tire, but even with the 180 I'd typically be a low-low 1:03 before ever taching out and it would only be into turn 1. Then at that point, taching out was just my brake marker into 1, which I think I actually used to take quicker than I do now (because I have to find a good actual brake marker still).

Schramm
August 19th, 2013, 02:37 PM
The R6 must redline higher than my RR then. You'd know best.

nismomaniak
August 19th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Its geared different. Not so much a red line thing. He uses 3 4 5 instead of 2 3 4

Schramm
August 19th, 2013, 03:02 PM
And here I am thinking all 600's are the same...

krea.tion
August 19th, 2013, 03:04 PM
I don't tach out anywhere even at a 1:01 pace. Granted I'm running a (taller) 200 rear tire, but even with the 180 I'd typically be a low-low 1:03 before ever taching out and it would only be into turn 1. Then at that point, taching out was just my brake marker into 1, which I think I actually used to take quicker than I do now (because I have to find a good actual brake marker still).

Good to hear!

EDISKRAD EHT
August 19th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Its geared different. Not so much a red line thing. He uses 3 4 5 instead of 2 3 4

I use 2 3 4 with the -1 +2 setup.

That does make me wonder if they utilize the extra RPM or just gear it shorter. My current R6 revs 1k more than my last one.

krea.tion
August 19th, 2013, 09:33 PM
I use 2 3 4 with the -1 +2 setup.

That does make me wonder if they utilize the extra RPM or just gear it shorter. My current R6 revs 1k more than my last one.

The sprocket kit shipped out today so hopefully I'll have it soon. I also got some adjustable rear sets and levers because I splurge uncontrollably sometimes... :/ I'm gonna be pissed if theres nowhere to ride next year after I just bought all this haha...

Schramm
August 19th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Groat road warriors?

Your gonna love rearsets

krea.tion
August 19th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Groat road warriors?

Your gonna love rearsets

lol with slicks and full race plastics. Sounds legit!

Corey06
August 19th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Just ordered a -1/+2 set up for my R6. The previous owner was using a -2/+1 set up and I am bouncing off the limiter well before the time trap at the tower going into corner 1. Hopefully this will help me out a tad ;)