PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Bring back tags / rep

pheoxs
October 4th, 2013, 02:20 PM
With the discussion lately about this forum, its new policies, the shrinking user base, and other such related topics. I would like to make a suggestion of bringing back the thread tags and rep system that we used to have.

I get why it was removed, that it wasn't being functional and instead turned into a gong show. But the reality of it is, that it brought a lot of entertainment to the forum, made the forum more enjoyable, and in turn brought in more traffic and users.

How many times did ridiculous threads explode into 780 lulz as a result, whereas now I feel like the same thread would just die out and end.

People come to forums for two reasons, information and entertainment. Unfortunately we're never going to match the information of model specific forums, and there isn't much Edmonton specific info that you can't find off google. Bringing back the systems would make things more entertaining as they were before and make things more interesting.

TL;DR: Please post your thoughts on the tag/rep system we used to have.

GavintheGiant
October 4th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Im happy not having rep myself. It was only used to cowardly berate someone (terminator) typically, rather than just talking it out like real men. Plus you don't even see rep or tags on mobile which I'm sure over half of 780 uses now.

zhao
October 4th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Rep was easy to manipulate so was pretty pointless. It was mainly just a circle jerk by people cycling repping each other or you could just get rep from flaming people. All I had to do was flame someone in an argument for the lols and then i get a neg rep or 2 that was worthless from their supporters, and huge positive rep from whoever else thought they were an idiot. and honestly, thats pretty much how i distributed rep out myself too; someone owns someone and makes me lol, they got rep.

No rep is probably a lot more possitive influence on this forum then having rep. I'd vote leaving it out of the equation.

AudiInProgress
October 4th, 2013, 05:14 PM
You're just jealous because I have the most rep.

seevik
October 4th, 2013, 05:20 PM
the whole..."rep on recharge bro" sounds a lot like..." I'll suck your dick later, my jaw is still sore"

pheoxs
October 4th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Fair enough. Thoughts on the thread tags? I miss that shit

TurboTalent
October 4th, 2013, 05:59 PM
I got a neg rep for a spelling error, that crap was gey.

JugZ
October 4th, 2013, 06:46 PM
the whole..."rep on recharge bro" sounds a lot like..." I'll suck your dick later, my jaw is still sore"
LoL! I never knew what that meant!

Mark Seto
October 8th, 2013, 10:59 PM
We're looking at a thumbs up/down at the post level, not at the user level. The tags are not coming back because it was unmanageable from a moderation perspective.

Contrary to those who would think otherwise, I'd trade off high activity for better discussion. Those who are here for other things, will eventually find themselves removed.