PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Harley-Davidson Street 500/750: Futureproof Hogs?

BLOCKER
February 17th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Popular Mechanics:

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj464/KeaneBlock/harley-street-static_zpsda0ea1b3.jpg (http://s555.photobucket.com/user/KeaneBlock/media/harley-street-static_zpsda0ea1b3.jpg.html)

Harley-Davidson has a tempestuous relationship with youth. Sure, they own nearly half of the heavy motorcyle market for those under 35 and are the best selling brand in America for 18 to 34 year-olds*. But when it comes to lighter bikes for younger folks, the Motor Company also has miles to go, especially considering their entry level Iron 883 Sportster, the brand's lightest and cheapest bike, tips the scales at a portly 562 lbs and runs $7,999.

In an attempt to seal the deal with kids and ensure their Wall Street streak continues, Harley recently announced their first new platform in 13 years with the Street 500 and 750 motorcycles. The bikes depart from their big displacement/air-cooled roots with liquid-cooled 500cc and 750cc engines, and will start at $6,700 and $7,500 respectively when they become available in the U.S., Italy, Spain, Portugal, and India in the second quarter of 2014. Even bigger, though, is the fact that the Motor Company is thinking globally enough that the Street models for other markets will be built at their facility in Bawal, India.

If you find the idea of a non U.S.-built hog hard to swallow, fear not: the Street 500 and 750 motorycles destined for the U.S. and Canada will be built right in our backyard, at Harley's plant in Kansas City, Missouri. "We spent thousands of hours with interviews and focus groups to get this one right," a Harley rep reassured Popular Mechanics, citing steel fenders and fuel tanks as evidence of the models' substantial build quality.**

Whether or not these new motorcycles are sweet enough to become the next big thing with bike-crazed youth remains to be seen. But the effort behind building an all-new platform at an affordable price point certainly speaks to Harley-Davidon's strident efforts at remaining relevant.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/auto-blog/harley-davidson-street-500-750

I think this is a great step forward for the company, thoughts?

fitz01
February 17th, 2014, 01:02 PM
I agree. The purists HATE the idea. I figure they'll grab the attention of all the soa fans. It's like a yuppy trap. Perfect.

I'd like to see Harley get back into being competitive in racing, maybe these bikes will be their stepping stone in that direction.

Danger
February 17th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I was pissed Harley didn't have one of these at the bike show. It was the first time I even bothered to go into their booth.

The rad shroud look likes shit and the fork boots, if you're going to have them make them proper. Other then that I like it.

Danger
February 17th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Little profile vs profile of what I imagine is the 750's biggest competition.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/18/sujyme5a.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/18/mavyqude.jpg

fitz01
February 17th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I was pissed Harley didn't have one of these at the bike show. It was the first time I even bothered to go into their booth.

The rad shroud look likes shit and the fork boots, if you're going to have them make them proper. Other then that I like it.

They did have one.

BLOCKER
February 17th, 2014, 02:27 PM
I don't know what the specs are on the engine, but if it is just de bored/stoked revolution, I can't wait until someone puts a 1250 cc out of a v-rod into it!

fitz01
February 17th, 2014, 02:31 PM
It's a sohc design. As far as I know it shares a lot of the same traits otherwise as it's big brother the v-rod. Canada will not be getting them until early 2015 is what I hear.

I want to ride one. I also want to ride a vrod.

Viktimize
February 17th, 2014, 03:37 PM
I don't see how that would be entertaining any new buyers as opposed to the already available Sportster? You want to draw in younger crowds? Then make a slimmed down version of their cool bikes like the Softail, and Street Glide. People don't buy the Sportsters because they look gay, and for not much more money you can just buy a bob with the bigger engine anyway. How is building the identically gay looking bike with an even smaller engine going to increase sales? Or did I miss something from the OP? I'll admit I only read the quote and did not click on the link.

BLOCKER
February 17th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I don't see how that would be entertaining any new buyers as opposed to the already available Sportster? You want to draw in younger crowds? Then make a slimmed down version of their cool bikes like the Softail, and Street Glide. People don't buy the Sportsters because they look gay, and for not much more money you can just buy a bob with the bigger engine anyway. How is building the identically gay looking bike with an even smaller engine going to increase sales? Or did I miss something from the OP? I'll admit I only read the quote and did not click on the link.

It is huge step forward for Harley, by building this motorcycle, which is a far superior to current sportster (IMO) and the same if not lower price, they are going to attract a far different crowd then your typical Harley purest who typically buy the air cooled big twin. There much more to the marked than "Big Twin Harley" or "Japanesse Crotchrocket"

Sportsters are a big seller for Harley, for years they have been sold to those who either looking for an entry level Harley, want a smaller Harley, or like that old school cafe racer styling.

With recent models of Harley and the move towards the liquid cool engine, this is a big step forward from technology that was rooted in the 30's

Danger
February 17th, 2014, 04:15 PM
I would also imagine that 750, if it's proper v rod tech could make big twin power with basic bolt ons. It's a lighter faster better bike in every aspect when compared to a sportster. Except for the ugly rad shroud hahaha.

Fitz I didn't see it. Maybe to many fat guys with SAO hoodies were blocking it ha

EDISKRAD EHT
February 17th, 2014, 05:41 PM

Its 2014.. Spending that much money on something air-cooled is something I flat out wouldn't do. I wouldn't even consider a Harley right now. But an air cooled one? Yup, I sure would. Welcome to the millennium Harley Davidson.

fitz01
February 17th, 2014, 07:50 PM
I would also imagine that 750, if it's proper v rod tech could make big twin power with basic bolt ons. It's a lighter faster better bike in every aspect when compared to a sportster. Except for the ugly rad shroud hahaha.

Fitz I didn't see it. Maybe to many fat guys with SAO hoodies were blocking it ha

Hahaha. Don't get me started on the soa fanboys. Fuck.

fitz01
February 17th, 2014, 07:59 PM

There are a couple reasons they built this bike that I can see.

1. They're broadening tier market big time overseas, with their India based factory, they have different licensing rules, where you're licensed by displacement.. So people who want a Harley, but can't afford to license for one, now have something available to them.

2. California emissions standards. If you've done some reading, or pay any attention at all to Harley's newest agenda; you'll have heard about this Rushmore project. They've redesigned a lot of things on their touring models, the biggest factor is the water cooled exhaust ports or,"twin cooling system" now, from what I've read and heard from people I talk to the way the emissions standards work is based off of average emissions amongst an entire fleet. Emissions standards tightened up so they released the v-rod. Boom. Out came a 96ci twin cam around the same time I believe.. The same thing with the liquid cooled heads, and the new sort 500-750. They produce these bikes and they can continue to release the traditional air cooled v-twin engines that the Harley guys love. I would forsee them ending up going full water cooled in due time as the current twin cams run so damn hot from factory due to leaning them out as safely as possible while retaining their numbers for emissions.

Other than that. It's a big testing the waters it seems. I'm kind of excited to see what kind of performance can be had with a couple cams, throttle body, and a decent exhaust set up will do for it.

Viktimize
February 17th, 2014, 08:12 PM
It is huge step forward for Harley, by building this motorcycle, which is a far superior to current sportster (IMO) and the same if not lower price, they are going to attract a far different crowd then your typical Harley purest who typically buy the air cooled big twin. There much more to the marked than "Big Twin Harley" or "Japanesse Crotchrocket"

Sportsters are a big seller for Harley, for years they have been sold to those who either looking for an entry level Harley, want a smaller Harley, or like that old school cafe racer styling.

With recent models of Harley and the move towards the liquid cool engine, this is a big step forward from technology that was rooted in the 30's

OIC, so you guys are saying it is a good moved based mainly on the liquid cooled engine being offered? The way I read the quote in OP is that they are releasing another entry level bike with a smaller engine than the current sportster. That's the part that made no sense. But yes if it's a new liquid cooled design that can be made more reliable then I could definitely agree with what you guys are saying now.

Danger
February 17th, 2014, 08:30 PM
OIC, so you guys are saying it is a good moved based mainly on the liquid cooled engine being offered? The way I read the quote in OP is that they are releasing another entry level bike with a smaller engine than the current sportster. That's the part that made no sense. But yes if it's a new liquid cooled design that can be made more reliable then I could definitely agree with what you guys are saying now.

It's a new tech bike. Instead if just the same old stuff again. The bikes will be a better package over all.

fitz01
February 17th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Same old stuff?

Read up on HDLAN and fuel injection. Just because they're air cooled doesn't mean the rest of the bike is archaic... IMO anyways

Viktimize
February 17th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Same old stuff?

Read up on HDLAN and fuel injection. Just because they're air cooled doesn't mean the rest of the bike is archaic... IMO anyways

Ya the new 96ci engine really changed the reliability of these things when it came out. Seems weird to still use air cooled, but everything else is a lot better than it used to be. It is pretty messed up the way these hardcore guys will have an aneurism at the idea of anything with good mileage and more power from the factory though. The V-Rod was the best engine HD ever put in a bike and will smoke most other bikes out there. But real HD guys hate it, yet they will still punch out and cam their old junk to get more power out of it. The demographic of people that buy these bikes is fucked up. lol. Still a cool bike just because of the stigma attached to it, I might just get another one someday.

Danger
February 17th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Same old stuff?

I like air cooled bikes.

I meant the bike as whole package. I can put a new RR motor in my 83 Honda. Doesn't change the fact it's still an old ass bike. It just means it has a better motor. A regular Harley still doesn't stop or handle worth a shit compared to even a 10 year old jap bike. Hopefully this bike takes care of that.

fitz01
February 18th, 2014, 12:51 AM
Ya the new 96ci engine really changed the reliability of these things when it came out. Seems weird to still use air cooled, but everything else is a lot better than it used to be. It is pretty messed up the way these hardcore guys will have an aneurism at the idea of anything with good mileage and more power from the factory though. The V-Rod was the best engine HD ever put in a bike and will smoke most other bikes out there. But real HD guys hate it, yet they will still punch out and cam their old junk to get more power out of it. The demographic of people that buy these bikes is fucked up. lol. Still a cool bike just because of the stigma attached to it, I might just get another one someday.

Maybe that's just it though. The stigma. Harley's plays it's sales pitch off of that HARRRRD. And people buy into it. And I've seen these purists come in bitching about the water cooled, linked braking, abs, nav set up.

Take it for a ride.

Order one the same day.

These new street series though should be able to hold their own with the jap market. Hopefully.

Danger
February 18th, 2014, 08:40 AM
These new street series though should be able to hold their own with the jap market. Hopefully.

This is what i want to see.. If the 750 is that good i'd buy it over the the bolt just for the sound hahaha

fitz01
February 19th, 2014, 10:45 PM
This is what i want to see.. If the 750 is that good i'd buy it over the the bolt just for the sound hahaha

It's essentially sohc v rod engine with smaller displacement in a sportster sized frame. I too am excited. I'd like too see 100+ hp numbers with mods, but who knows at this point.

I'll stick to punching out and camming up my old air cooled archaic twin cam. Hahaha :)

Mustard
February 20th, 2014, 03:17 AM
This bike will sell like CRAZY to the "starter bike" crowd.

One thing I hear more than anything else around new riders is "I don't want to start on anything bigger than X"
and the X is most often around the 900cc - 1 Liter mark for cruiser crowd.
BUT they want a Harley cause they like the image, and want to play the part (for whatever reason).

Trust me, many many lower displacement Shadow and Boulevard owners are using those bikes as "stepping stone bikes" to Harley's. (For better or for worse).

This bike fills that niche for Harley, by catering to a market they excluded up until now.

It will sell well for women especially.
Many women end up on "smaller displacement" bikes (a lot of times because their husbands tell them they aren't ready for whatever they ride... (usually trying to protect their man-liness in the process)) which for Harley usually amounts to Sportsters.
Or, again, they end up with something Japanese. Which isn't a terrible thing, really... i mean, have you seen the new Yamaha Bolt? You can't tell me that's not Yamaha trying to bite into the Harley market.

That aside,
It's not a terrible looking bike. And It looks like it would ride well.
I think it looks pretty good, actually, except for those horrid black rubber shock covers... those look very very cheap, unfortunately... especially compared to the rest of it. :(

Either way, i'll reserve the majority of my judgement until after I ride one.

Danger
February 20th, 2014, 08:51 AM
i mentioned the terrible fork boots earlier... fortunately those will be easily fixed with 2 minutes and an xacto knife... as long as the forks have proper dust covers under them. or you can yank the forks and toss on some honda ones.

I'm still hoping this bike has more power then the 1200 sportster.