PDA

View Full Version : Final Grade

Krasher
May 30th, 2014, 05:29 PM
I want to install a low water solution for my landscaping...mostly shrubs and stone etc. I have my rough grade done but don't know what type of dirt or sand I should use for my final grade to install this type of landscaping. Any landscapers out there have any suggestions? Whatever I do use, must be able to pass Edmonton's final grade rules.

Thanks!

UberBricky
May 30th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Likely you'll need 150mm of top soil under your sod, 50mm of sod. Everything else is fine if level with that as long as it drains away from your house (which your rough grade should do already). Basically you should be 200mm lower than final grade at rough grade. Should....

And make sure you use fabric under the rocks and around shrubs

B*Town
June 1st, 2014, 07:27 PM
And make sure you use fabric under the rocks and around shrubs

I might add here to use a few layers. I used 3 layers behind my house, where I have a large section of rock. Only a few places hgave weeds coming through that I need to spray / dig out.

The front area of my house I only used one layer. Might as well not have put it down :mad:

JugZ
June 1st, 2014, 07:36 PM
I might add here to use a few layers. I used 3 layers behind my house, where I have a large section of rock. Only a few places hgave weeds coming through that I need to spray / dig out.

The front area of my house I only used one layer. Might as well not have put it down :mad:

They make different grades of that stuff and you can special order commercial grade. "Landscape Fabric" is usually junk but I bought some called Weed Ban one time and it was thicker than a tarp. It was srs bidness.

carman
June 1st, 2014, 07:46 PM

They make different grades of that stuff and you can special order commercial grade. "Landscape Fabric" is usually junk but I bought some called Weed Ban one time and it was thicker than a tarp. It was srs bidness.
used the good stuff from the landscape place. waste of money. i used a tarp today see how that works out.

JugZ
June 1st, 2014, 07:51 PM
used the good stuff from the landscape place. waste of money. i used a tarp today see how that works out.

Could you literally see the weave in it? The stuff I used cost about 8x more than that useless fabric and it was amazing. It stopped cedar roots (fine like hair & super aggressive) from choking out a rose flower bed that was getting more water.

stealth
June 1st, 2014, 09:27 PM
My neighbors to one side used a poly sheet/tarp and weeds still came through. On my other side of the house we used fabric (neighbour bought it) and no weeds come through. Depends on what you get.

Krasher
June 2nd, 2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks everyone...Very helpful!

AudiInProgress
June 3rd, 2014, 10:48 AM
Very good information! Thanks.