PDA

View Full Version : Taiwan hackers trying to get into my account!

tdiguy
March 15th, 2015, 04:36 PM
"Dear tdiguy,

Someone has tried to log into your account on 780Tuners Edmonton Car Forums with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 1.174.182.14

All the best,
780Tuners Edmonton Car Forums"

92_WhItE_H23
March 15th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Yea i got the same warning a few days ago.

JugZ
March 15th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Use the [Report Private Message] button and all the moderators will be aware so we can elevate it.

tdiguy
March 15th, 2015, 06:10 PM
A couple times when I loaded 780tuners I got a redirect to an ad site. The first one was adultfriendfinder with a topless chick asking if I wanted to get laid tonight. Good thing the wife didn't see, I'd have a hard time explaining that.
"First these Taiwan hackers tried to get into my account on a car website, then when I went to check, this sex website popped up, honest honey!"

Molson
March 15th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Just because the IP resolved back to Taiwan, it doesn't mean the person was actually in Taiwan. It's super easy to get a VPN these days, that, and the fact that you can use numerous website masks ie: hidemyass.com or hideme.be

zhao
March 15th, 2015, 07:47 PM
That's why you should have a fobby user name like me so they think you're just a fellow gold farmer trying to earn some extra money.

I have no idea what their logic is though.

1) steal 780tuners account
2) ????
3) profit? Wtf?

MaverickXeo
March 15th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Just because the IP resolved back to Taiwan, it doesn't mean the person was actually in Taiwan. It's super easy to get a VPN these days, that, and the fact that you can use numerous website masks ie: hidemyass.com or hideme.be

Exactly. You can spoof it to show you are anywhere in the world...

94turbocoupe
March 16th, 2015, 08:33 AM
just tried to access 780tuners.com and got redirected to adultfriendfinder as well, could only come here by googling the forum address directly.... im on work computer and pretty sure the IT guys make sure there are no malware, adware on these machines....

Steve

mcmanus7
March 16th, 2015, 01:19 PM
I've also had the re-direct to adultfriendfinder while trying to access 780tuners.com not recently but over the last few weeks maybe 5-7 times.

iAvery
March 16th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Been looking into this issue a lot, and it's from googleads it seems. We are in the midst of fixing this issue. Hopefully very soon.

Mustard
March 16th, 2015, 08:20 PM
That's why you should have a fobby user name like me so they think you're just a fellow gold farmer trying to earn some extra money.

I have no idea what their logic is though.

1) steal 780tuners account
2) ????
3) profit? Wtf?

The reason "hacking" forum accounts is popular, is because is a lot people (somewhat stupidly) use the same password for a lot of different accounts.
So if they get this account, they will get an email address and try the same passwords on that account. Then they will build bots to try the same login and password on a bunch of different forums that you may also be a part of.
Takes hours for a human to do it... takes seconds for a computer.
If you used the same password (like many people do, unfortunately) they may eventually get to one with an email account you also use in the profile.

Same password, again?
Well now they have that too... and with the email account, they can wreak all kinds of havok especially if you use that account for lots of other things.
They don't even need passwords any more at that point, cause most "forgot my password" functions will send an email to the recovery address... which they now have.

moral of the story... use different passwords, and don't take forum accounts connected to your primary email accounts for granted.

carman
March 21st, 2015, 04:13 PM
i just got an email saying someoen tried 5 times with no success

theBB1er
March 21st, 2015, 06:47 PM
Come hack me bro.

my password is "guest"

SilverNeonRacer
March 23rd, 2015, 09:10 AM
My turn.. Chinese IP 183.222.164.167

Hawx
April 28th, 2015, 06:03 AM