PDA

View Full Version : Heat Shields for Turbos

Mark Seto
October 18th, 2002, 12:06 AM
How many of you run a heat shield on top of your turbo to shield heat off the hood?

TurboTony
October 18th, 2002, 12:21 AM
Not me, I had my entire exhaust system ceramic coated to keep the heat down to a minimum.

Tony

Cyanide Ride
October 18th, 2002, 10:12 AM
I too have CC on my speedy parts, but my hood is still wrinkling abit...

ohsoslo
October 19th, 2002, 12:42 AM
Markis... correct me if I'm wrong but you are running the white DSM?

If so the heat shield is more for keeping the heat into the exhaust side of the turbo... more heat = higher exhaust velocity. I haven't run with mine for the last 2 years. No problems and lots of boost / heat.

You are more likely to warp the plastic fan blades than wrinkle the hood if you don't have it in place. Some people use exhaust wrap on the manifold and / or an insulation kit for the exhaust side of the turbo.

PressurizedGti
October 19th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Ive never had to use a heat shield! But my exhaust comes out back side of my engine. I do have the factory heat shield on the firewall. It does the trick!

Mark Seto
October 20th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the replies,

I have an aftermarket bolt on turbo kit on a Miata. The heat shield broke and I've connected with a metal brace, but removing it might be a good idea. I jsut don't want to brown/wrinkle my paint.

ohsoslo
October 21st, 2002, 09:55 PM
Sorry Markis... I thought you had the DSM.

I'm not sure what the heat situation will be in the miata. It may depend on the hood metal and how close the turbo / exhaust manifold is.

If you think it is a problem you could always go with an insulation glued to the underside of the hood (you would need to make sure it is compatible with an automotive application). The DSM's have insulation under the hood but I'm not sure how the miata is set up.

FOCUSFOOL
October 21st, 2002, 10:34 PM
Heat sheild is a must too much heat, even the focus with no turbo the manifold replaced with a header has caused the hood to crack and sipder-web, or maybe its just because its a ford. Hold the heat in the casting and make more power. Even Ceramic coatings can still get very,very hot and wreck paint.

hondaluva
October 29th, 2002, 09:55 AM
I had a buddy who's hood got so hot that steam would come off his hood from the rain vaporzing from the heat.