PDA

View Full Version : Scratches in clearcoat, need them buffed out? Where?

subarudrew
August 10th, 2004, 04:49 PM
I have no one to blame but myself and this 'non-scratch' sponge I was using to remove tar spots. I tested a small area and it didn't look like it scratched at the time, even while dry, but if you catch it in any light now, you'll see I have a mark. Well the portion that wasn't supposed to scratch did and I have these 1inch scratch marks on my clearcoat. Basically the car looks very shiney and then you see these 'matte' finish type spots. a few scattered around, maybe 10-15spots. Most of it on the front hood where the good bugs squish and tar flies up the easiest.

Does anyone know where a good paint/body shop is that could buff these out or are they even buffable (if that's a word.. lol)
I'd appreciate a recommendation, and not some place that 40 people will tell me later I shouldn't have gone to. That's extremely frustrating. I'm just looking to get the spots buffed out if possible, anything short of having to reapply clearcoat to the entire car and cost me $500+ on a freaking $3.00 error. I'm already mad enough at myself. :mad:

Please don't tell me not to use sponges on my car. I already know that and I should be using Varsol, yadda, yadda. I can't stop what I did, I just need to fix the mistake I made.

I know have a sheep skin shamy that will be used on the body ONLY and varsol with a microfiber rag if needed for tar spots.

PS Mr. Clean Auto car wash works pretty damn nicely. I'm impressed.

Thanks guys in advance.
Sube Drew.

TrevorK
August 11th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Why not post up a picture for everyone to see - then some of the detail shops on here could help (Possibly Jay?)