PDA

View Full Version : My experience with Zippy's(long)

4G63PWR
August 13th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Well I had Zippy's rig me up a custom 3" mandrel bent exhaust about three months ago. First, I was double booked with someone else and needed my car to get home. I brought it in at 9:00am and left after 10:00pm.

About two weeks later the exhaust started hitting on something and I took it in to get fixed, it seemed to be a temporary fix because a couple days later it started to hit again. I grabbed the muffler and it would move about 2" from side to side. I took the car and jacked it up and noticed that a clamp was not tight, so I tightend it up and that stopped it from hitting. But while I was under their I noticed the ABS lines were sitting right on top of the exhaust in one spot with no means of heat protection or attemp to bend them out of the way.

I took it in again and they must have taken a part of the exhaust off and heat taped them. Good enough for me.

The third time I brought it in was my fault because I bumped a curb with the muffler, just enought to make it hit again. I took it back in and they said they tweeked it back to where it should be. I drove my car home, and lol and behold, it was still hitting. I got home and wiggled my exhaust from side to side and it would still move about 2" either way. Yup, I'm getting a bit frustrated.

I took it upon myself to jack up the car and take a look. First, one of the exhaust hangers that hold the muffler up was not even doing anything, no tension at all. I took that off and bent the metal hanger on the muffler so the hanger was acctualy doing something. I went under a bit further and noticed their was one hose clamp that was supposed to be holding the exhaust up in the mid section but was only wraped around the pipe itself(this was the clamp I tightened earlier, when the exhaust was taken off it was not put back on the hanger). After a bit more inspection, I noticed their is supposed to be two hose clamps holding it, not just one. This was also in the same spot where they heat-taped it, which was all worn off(in a matter of one week). I took an old spring boot, cut two pieces of rubber off and put it between the exhaust and the hanger(where the hose clamp was supposed to be attached to). I also added another hose clamp where it was supposed to go. The rubber pieces I placed between also moved the exhaust away from the ABS lines.

My exhaust now works great with no rattles or anything.

Don't get me wrong, they are a good bunch of guys their, made a good quality exhaust, but need to take a bit more care with their work. It is a big exhaust, yes, but I was able to make it work with little room to work with. I payed a lot for that exhaust, it would be nice to have it done right.

TrevorK
August 13th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Just a suggestion - but DEI makes some great products that you can put around your ABS line. They can withstand 500 deg Farenheit of DIRECT heat and over 1000 deg of indirect heat.

SplineZ
August 13th, 2004, 06:16 PM
DEI makes great stuff.. so does Thermotec... mopac carries the stuff.. its pretty cheap.. You could use manifold wrap too..

how much do you need?

James Z

4G63PWR
August 15th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Keith: empty your mailbox

shorti
August 16th, 2004, 07:11 PM
there not their