PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Someone with taps/machining equipment to make simple piece

TrevorK
August 15th, 2004, 01:31 PM
OK, I need a really simple piece made for my car - solid tie rod adjustment sleeves.

All you need is:
1" thick by 5" long hex stock
2 1/2" of it will be 5/8-18 Right Hand Thread
2 1/2" of it will be 5/8-18 Left Hand Thread
I will need two of these pieces

They make them in the US, but I figure it's more than easy enough to make here without the hassle. I don't have the right taps, neither does my neighbour (He doesn't have the left hand tap). For the price of the tap, I can probably get a shop/person to fab these up (I can't see it taking long at all or costing much).

Anyone up for it? Price?

Here is a picture of it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/immortal_tk/7b3a1269.jpg

scooby_dooby
August 15th, 2004, 04:36 PM
my roommate's a machinist, i'll get him to take a look

TrevorK
August 15th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by scooby_dooby
my roommate's a machinist, i'll get him to take a look

Thanks!

Shimarisu
August 15th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Hi I'm also a machinist. I was having a look and thought I may not have this handtap at my shop, but I will check it again tmr. Anyhow, if I were making this piece, I'd make that on lathe which is supposingly faster. But sorry I don't have a small internal holder at work neither..:(

Transporter
August 16th, 2004, 10:08 AM
i can get them done for you. how much are you willing to pay for it?

TrevorK
August 16th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Transporter
i can get them done for you. how much are you willing to pay for it?

I'm not sure how much to pay - because they should be relatively inexpensive....How much do you think is fair?

TrevorK
August 22nd, 2004, 10:38 AM
Still no takers....Anyone?

scooby_dooby
August 23rd, 2004, 10:10 AM
hey man, i was gone for a few days, my buddy said he couldn't find any of that hex stock at his shop, National Oilwell, but if you can find some and drop it off he'll tap them for you, he didn't say a price but i'm sure something like 10-15bux would be fine

TrevorK
August 23rd, 2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by scooby_dooby
hey man, i was gone for a few days, my buddy said he couldn't find any of that hex stock at his shop, National Oilwell, but if you can find some and drop it off he'll tap them for you, he didn't say a price but i'm sure something like 10-15bux would be fine

I'm not sure if I can dig some up - I'll look around and if I find any I'll get back to ya.

mitsuman
August 28th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Dude... if you can get this done for 10-15 $ then go for it.

5/8 -18 NFLH tap is a special purpose tap that will probably cost between 35-50 bucks here in town. Other thing to consider is the depth of the thread. 2.5 inches of thread may be too deep for a standard tap. Guy will probably have to get a bottoming tap to reach that depth if its even possible with a std bottoming tap. If the guy at national has it that good.

As to the material, try the metal supermarket. Make sure the you choose a good grade of steel to be on the safe side. Something like 4140htsr.

food for thought