PDA

View Full Version : My first quasi track experience (kinda)....

MightyMidget
August 16th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Well me and a friend, Chris(QYV) on the forums went out to the local track to WATCH some pro and amature racing....we got there about 1:30pm and the admission was $10.

We were there watching for a couple hours and they start over the PA system about after the race day is over they will be taking the bikers out for a track session(3 laps) to show them the view/perspective from the racer point of view.....OK, cool we thought!! So we said we were going to stay until the end go out. All we needed was jacket, boots, gloves, helmet.....got those!!

OK to the good part.....we stick around to the end and they organize us in to a few groups and have us follow an instructor/racer out. They tell us that we are going for a 5 lap round instead of the earlier 3 laps, COOL! They tell us that they will start slow then slowly pick up the pace. Well they bring us out for 5 laps then we pull back into the staging area and they let another group out. He asks us how it was etc and if we wanted to go again, at a faster pace this time (we are in jeans and a jacket so it is far from race pace), anyway we all say YEAH!!!

In all we ended up doing 5, 5 lap sessions and omg it was AWESOME! I can't wait until I go to the last track day in Sept. The sides of my tires actually started heating up and were getting tacky...I have never had the sides heat up that much on the street (obviously). All in all it was great to see what the track is like and I am still buzzed about it.

On a side note, it was very humbling because the instructor/racer who took us out was riding around the track almost full lean with only ONE hand on the bars while everyone else was maybe half lean with both hand on the bars!!

S

bmwboyz
August 16th, 2004, 02:14 PM
That sounds like so much fun, i want to try out the track because in the city you can't even use your bike's turning potential/ when is the next track day?

MightyMidget
August 16th, 2004, 03:39 PM
^^^^^ Sept 26th at Stratotech!!!! you should come out, I would love to eat a ZX-6RR for breakfast :p

S

bmwboyz
August 16th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Nice i'll be there for sure to beat you, even thou i've never been on the track but that's just fine :D

slikz
August 19th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by bmwboyz
Nice i'll be there for sure to beat you, even thou i've never been on the track but that's just fine :D

It's funny, you'll think you're fast, until you hit the track.

bmwboyz
August 20th, 2004, 01:12 AM
ya its prob tru, i really dont know how to take a bike on a track, but I defintly want to learn. and slikz how much is ur bike geared down? i did just one in the front to see if i liked it and i do, so im gunna do somein the rear.

slikz
August 20th, 2004, 07:14 AM
I'm stock in the front, but i'm 17 up in the rear. It's ballsy but fun as hell. My highway/whatever gearing is just 5 up in the rear though.

MightyMidget
August 20th, 2004, 08:26 AM
ya its prob tru, i really dont know how to take a bike on a track, but I defintly want to learn. and slikz how much is ur bike geared down? i did just one in the front to see if i liked it and i do, so im gunna do somein the rear.

so I will kick yer ass at the track :p :lol:

S

bmwboyz
August 20th, 2004, 03:39 PM
well i guess we will see:blink:

MightyMidget
August 20th, 2004, 05:32 PM
well i guess we will see:blink:

the only thing you will see it the tape over my tail light :lol: :lol:

S

bmwboyz
August 21st, 2004, 01:34 AM
u sure are milking this...

MightyMidget
August 21st, 2004, 12:44 PM
u sure are milking this...

milking it; post whoring, it's all the same thing!! :lol:

S

bmwboyz
August 21st, 2004, 01:00 PM
well to join in the post whoring, what rear tires do you have on ur R6? cause i need some new ones and its either between the dunlops of michilen pilots

MightyMidget
August 21st, 2004, 01:25 PM
well to join in the post whoring, what rear tires do you have on ur R6? cause i need some new ones and its either between the dunlops of michilen pilots

I think that you are talking to me so I will answer you.....I don't have an R6 but I have Michelin Pilot ROADS which are a sport sport touring tire. I have no other experience with the tires you metioned but I like the pilot SPORTS and will use those when my current tires are gone!!!

Most of the racers at stratotech use Pilot Sport or sport RACE H2's because they have to use DOT tires in the races. Hope that helps a bit..but like i said I will be using the pilot sports next time. I have heard very good things about them.

S

bmwboyz
August 22nd, 2004, 01:51 AM
wellll wtf i thought u had an R6.....lol wrong guy then/ what do u ride?? but yah i think i will buy those michilens. they sound pretty good, the dunlops are the ones that are stock on the honda cbr600rr, my buddy has one and i actually like the feel of them, (Not so much the bike thou).