PDA

View Full Version : What is the best sounding/performing muffler?

mrprecidia
November 23rd, 2002, 05:10 PM
Just wondering whats out there that sounds good and has the performance to back up the sound.

Wask
November 23rd, 2002, 05:17 PM
I like the sound that a Borla gives.

mrprecidia
November 23rd, 2002, 05:21 PM
TheWask Posted on Nov 23 2002, 11:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like the sound that a Borla gives.

what about the performance?

Wask
November 23rd, 2002, 05:56 PM
I guess it depends on the car?

mrprecidia
November 23rd, 2002, 06:04 PM
yeah that's true I am shopping for something for my car it's a mx-3 with 2.5 v6 and 2.5 inch cat back exhaust. :dunno:

Cyanide Ride
November 23rd, 2002, 06:23 PM
Partial to the sound Brullen mufflers make...

redbaron303
November 23rd, 2002, 07:34 PM
I like the sound Greddy and ApexI give, as for performance, when they're on the right car they're good.

RallyCivic
November 23rd, 2002, 08:03 PM
How about strait pipe!!!

I like the N1 apex sound too.

Cyanide Ride
November 23rd, 2002, 09:36 PM
I've always disliked the Apex N1 exhaust, they tend to get blatty as you get on in the revs, or perhaps that's that's my experience.

The greddy's are ALWAYS nice sounding!.

mrprecidia
November 23rd, 2002, 09:45 PM
anyone have any experience with hks or tanabe?

Scintillater
November 23rd, 2002, 10:39 PM
Im wanna get one for my Integra but I don't like the ones that sound SUPER ASS LOUD like a SUPER RICE ROCKET (all sound and no go). Any suggestions?

mrprecidia
November 23rd, 2002, 10:41 PM
thats the same as me right now i have a cheap ass ractive muffler and it rasps like a bitch in heat at higher rpm. need something with a more toned down growel

REFLUX
November 23rd, 2002, 10:44 PM
STOCK!!!!!!! :D

unless you're forcely induced (i cant believe i jus came up w/ that)

but for those of u who went to the last v8less cruise, Edwin (white rx-7) has a Racing Beat exhaust...............VERY nice no???

not sure if RB makes MX-3 products tho....

mrprecidia
November 23rd, 2002, 10:47 PM
maybe a universal fit

hondaluva
November 24th, 2002, 03:40 AM
I've found teh best sounding muffler is anything hooked up to a Porshe 911.

Other than that - I think raspy is bad. the Mugen copies should be a good deal for good sound.

blown_mr2
November 24th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by mrprecidia@Nov 23 2002, 09:41 PM
thats the same as me right now i have a cheap ass ractive muffler and it rasps like a bitch in heat at higher rpm. need something with a more toned down growel
:wtf: . Dude, you have a kl-ze in your car and you put a "Ractive" muffler on there?? Hmmm, check Probetalk (http://probetalk.com) and do see what they are using.

mrprecidia
November 24th, 2002, 12:04 PM
I had the muffler on way before i had my kl-ze back when i was clueless and thought jb's was the best store ever. :(

mrprecidia
November 24th, 2002, 12:08 PM
I've found teh best sounding muffler is anything hooked up to a Porshe 911.

Other than that - I think raspy is bad. the Mugen copies should be a good deal for good sound.

AS for the porche thing I agree but dont you think it would be pretty rice to put a mugen muffler on a mazda

dkny
November 25th, 2002, 12:20 PM
your basic coffee can muffler!!!
:D

drastik
November 27th, 2002, 06:34 PM
first off, damn good thread.
I'm looking for something nice and deep as well, and as always good performance is a must.
(it's good to hear opinions, although it'd be better to hear the actual tone)

as for starting with a ractive muffler - that's what happens when you start and wanna get everything done right away, you end up going cheapy route, then have to redo everything. I know.... I did that too. :( My car's gone through 2 different looks (into the third this winter), and I've ended up tossing out a lot of ricey things along the way. Gotta keep with the times..... and gotta keep evolving.

adrenaline
November 28th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Magnaflow mufflers are good. Low sound but not loud. Good price too.

Cyanide Ride
November 28th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Haha, I've been through 6 systems throughout my car's history, now I have a 3" downpipe and 3" exhaust that splits to to 2.5" then to 4 3" square slash SS tips... anything less than a chambered muffler will be loud :)

LowTEC
November 29th, 2002, 04:04 AM
For the best performance, there is nothing can beat a straight muffler with correct diameter (aka straight pipe)
For the best sound, there is nothing can beat a Mugen loop type muffler.

Cyanide Ride
November 29th, 2002, 09:06 AM
If you think about it, the mugen twin loop is no better than a Dynomax Turbo muffler...

No matter how you look at it, you're forcing the exhaust gasses to make two turns, whether it be left, right, or wide radius, turn=flow restriction, then again, restriction also =quiet... Depends on what you're looking for :)

I'll take the noise, the Brullen I have is low, mean, no raspyness, but LOUD. Guess you can't have it all :pat:

LowTEC
November 30th, 2002, 07:10 AM
You are right, turns will differently slow down the flow, but the main factor is the shape inside the muffler itself. In conventional mufflers, designers try to keep the noise as low as possible, they actually make the exhaust flow hit the walls, bounce back and squeeze the gas to one or more "side rooms" to cancel out or slow down the frequency, then squeeze it back to the tail pipe. That definitely kills the flow. In the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, they try to keep the flow velocity with a couple tight 180" "U-turns" inside the muffler, it's a great way to increase a lot better flow velocity while keep the sound to acceptable level, which is not a bad thing, as many ppl just want a muffler that way. Mugen in the other hand, designed it with the turns outside of the muffler, they wanted the turns to be as wide as possible (it does help to keep the velocity) while keeping the whole package small. I personally really like this design, it looks cool and easily recognizable. Like I said before, if one who wants to have a muffler to have the best performance, he better off just make a straight pipe instead of some straight thru mufflers, simply becuase there is no restriction at all.

Benny
November 30th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Meh, I went strait out the back with a loud ass fireball muff on the bitch, no cat, no resonaters, NOTHIN, and the sound it very very nice, but also very VERY loud! :D

Cyanide Ride
November 30th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I have a 3" in and dual 2.50" out straight through... Can you say LOOOOOUUUUUDDD.

Anyone try any of those Ravin' exhausts or those delta flow exhausts?...

They look relatively free flowing, but I wonder what they sound like.

schlong8
November 30th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by BlueTurboEGG@Nov 29 2002, 08:06 AM
the Brullen I have is low, mean, no raspyness, but LOUD. Guess you can't have it all :pat:
This is exactly the same w/ mine. From stock i went w/ a brullen muffler and a larger 2.25" pipe from the cat.

The sound is loud, but deep, throaty w/ a growl.....i think. That's what a lot of people have said. Of course the flat-4 boxer sound always sounds "deeper" then another 4-banger.

I think i have a vid clip w/ a Brullen muffler on a new OBS wagon w/ a resonated midpipe.

C

D_B_Z_888
December 1st, 2002, 07:06 PM
for a nice low pitch growl greddy evo is a good choice