PDA

View Full Version : Street drag radials or slicks

v8slayer
January 1st, 2003, 11:17 PM
Last year I was amazed how JB's was running slicked cars with street tire cars.
IDRC has completely banned this action recognizing slicks give cars between 1.5-3.0 second advantages over cars of equal power.

http://www.importdrag.com/index_pr091302.shtml

Who here feels there should either be a Street car challenge(Street radial tires only , No DOT approved slicks) or at least a slick class if at least 6 cars show up with them and are closely matched in displacement and power ?

I feel keeping it a Street car challenge would keep a level playing field and promote more compitition and fun at the BOI's.

Let me state though that we should allow 6 Cyl turbo's to compete with the 4 bangers with NO weight penaltys for them , even if the IDRC requires a penalty for the the 6 cylinder 3.0L cars.

To many rules will just hurt things.

What are your thoughts on this and please give your reasoning behind them?

Maybe a mod can make a pole for us!

:D

1mns13
January 1st, 2003, 11:51 PM
I believe in street tire classes, because it is accurate. Slicks are entirely different and should be recognized as different. It also promotes good car choice (AWD or RWD) for traction issues. Too many rules can make more hassles sometimes. Equalizing cars can be difficult and many times keeping 4cyl 6 cyl and rotary cars separate can be easier.
Jared

redbaron303
January 2nd, 2003, 12:29 AM
As a "spectator" right now, I think that it is more exciting to see a "smaller" car kick a "bigger" car.... whether it be a civic vs mustang or rx7 vs 300zx.

I agree with the tire issue though, I watched that black supra, mau's car?!, and it ran the fastest time of the day on drag radials, then he did a pass on his pirelli street tires and was a couple of seconds off from his other times. Tires do make a difference, sometimes they can give an unfair advantage!

I haven't really thought this through, as I'd only run on street tires (the pocket book can only take so much), but no holds barred is a cool way to do things. Like I said I like to see a car with a smaller displacement show up the bigger rides out there. This being said I think that to only allow races between certain engine classes at a "street" legal event is senseless, it takes some of the fun out of competition! At the same time those drag radials will allow a car to run faster than if the car was running street tires, so that's where I see the problem and I think it would be easier to tier cars based on tires, thus making it a little more fair and competitive at the same time.

~Chris

TurboTony
January 2nd, 2003, 01:12 AM
So where should we consider BFG or Nitto drag radials in all this? As radials or slicks?

It always seems to be a grey area.

Tony

mrprecidia
January 2nd, 2003, 07:47 AM
I think that everyone one knows that better tires will make you run faster so if you have slicks put them on and go faster and if you don't have slicks go slower.

v8slayer
January 2nd, 2003, 08:58 AM
Well just clarify..........
Drag radial are what they use in the street car class.
Nitto,Toyo,BFG,Yoka and some others.

All out Bias Ply Wrinkle Wall Treadless Slicks are what they don't allow in the Street car class and that is what some were using last year.

We need to get our thoughts out there in order for us to develope a fair class structure for this summer.

Do you guys feel we should keep it a Street car challenge so our times reflect what our cars would be like in real life on the street?

Thanks

Cyanide Ride
January 2nd, 2003, 09:59 AM
Haha!, I vote YES, street legals should be run with STREET TIRES, No DOT approved tires either!.

If I had my way, I'd dis-allow C17 and run only pump gas!, what you run in the street is exactly what you should be competing with!.

I've been trying to keep to this "true street" idea ever since I've been racing.

Loose
January 2nd, 2003, 10:26 AM
I think there are too many classes as is. Weren't there 4 or so, just for the imports? There are not enough cars to support multiple classes. At the last BOI, I think there were only 3 cars in the top class. That is not very exciting. A slick class would probably only have 2 or 3 cars in it, not enough to warrant creating a separate class.

I really want to see a quick 16. I think it would be way more entertaining to watch, than trying to keep track of the 3 or 4 separate classes.

If anything, maybe there should be another award, for the quickest car on radials.

v8slayer
January 2nd, 2003, 10:47 AM
Good point Loose.
Maybe have everyone on street radials so we can have less classes and head aches or have an award for fastest car on street radials that doesn't race against the slick equiped cars.

What do you guys think?

Loose
January 2nd, 2003, 11:01 AM
I'd vote for a no hold barred Quick 16, + quickest ET award, + quickest ET radial award.

Banning slicks is a step backwards, as it will cause the powerful 2wd cars run slower.

v8slayer
January 2nd, 2003, 12:06 PM
Banning Slicks causes everyone to run slower but puts everyone on the same field.

Maybe we should get a moderator to make an open poll so we can get an idea what the populas wants.

I'm open to democracy , how about it mod can you make a poll for us please.

Another idea is to let the slick cars do an exibition run at the end of the day so we can see how fast they are off Street radials.

There are lots of good options we just need to get everyone's input.

Keep it comming guys!
;)

v8slayer
January 2nd, 2003, 12:35 PM
I made a poll , please give your vote.

redbaron303
January 2nd, 2003, 12:57 PM
OKay... I guess I'm just a little lost... what is the difference between drag radials and slicks... radials have slight tread to them or not? Are they street legal?

I really agree with a couple of the other guys, run what you have on the street because that's what its about, being the fastest street 'ready' car! Right? The fastest time with no race gas/drag tires, that's just cool! I'm sure we'd still have some really quick cars out there! :)

What is meant by quick 16? Just the top 16 cars or something else?

Loose
January 2nd, 2003, 01:25 PM
The way I see it there are basically 4 groups of tires when you talk about drag racing:

1. Regular street radials: What you and I normally run on the street. DOT tread wear of 180+ (eg. Yokohoma Paradas, Kumho 712, Toyo T1-S, Pirelli PZero)

2. Drag Radial: Street legal, but purposely made for competition. These have excellent straight line traction, are reasonable on the street, but don't like rain or long trips. (eg. BFG drag radial, Nitto 555R, I suppose some AutoX tires like Toyo RA1's too, since some people use these)

3. DOT approved slicks: Bias ply construction, scary in cornering, scary in the wet. Street legal, but not streetable. Not recommended for street use, even by the manufactures. (eg. Mickey Thomoson ET Street)

4. Slicks: Bias ply slicks, no tread. Not street legal (eg. MT ET Drags)

We are talking about allowing cars with tires 3 & 4 racing against radial tired cars (1 & 2)

Quick 16 refers to have the 16 quickest imports race each other in a single elimination ladder.

redbaron303
January 2nd, 2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Loose@Jan 2 2003, 11:25 AM
The way I see it there are basically 4 groups of tires when you talk about drag racing:

1. Regular street radials: What you and I normally run on the street. DOT tread wear of 180+ (eg. Yokohoma Paradas, Kumho 712, Toyo T1-S, Pirelli PZero)

2. Drag Radial: Street legal, but purposely made for competition. These have excellent straight line traction, are reasonable on the street, but don't like rain or long trips. (eg. BFG drag radial, Nitto 555R, I suppose some AutoX tires like Toyo RA1's too, since some people use these)

3. DOT approved slicks: Bias ply construction, scary in cornering, scary in the wet. Street legal, but not streetable. Not recommended for street use, even by the manufactures. (eg. Mickey Thomoson ET Street)

4. Slicks: Bias ply slicks, no tread. Not street legal (eg. MT ET Drags)

We are talking about allowing cars with tires 3 & 4 racing against radial tired cars (1 & 2)
Okay, so i was a little confused then...

My viewpoint is that as a racer I don't want to handed the unfairl advantage of running tire set #1 and having my competitor in a fairly equal car runing tire sets 3 & 4. Like everyone says, tires have a purpose for everything. I think the purpose of the event, street legal (I assume also means streetable) should limit the tire classes then. Running on tire sets 1 and 2 then should be allowed even if people bring their drag radials to the track and put em on there. Does this make sense coming from me?

v8slayer
January 2nd, 2003, 01:32 PM
-Slicks are wrinkle wall bias ply treadless race only non street legal tires.
-DOT approved slicks are the above race slick with a couple treads cut in to get it DOT approved.
These two tires are not a street radial class tire.

-Nitto's , Toyo's , Yoka and BFG drag radials are what are used in the street tire class.
Nitto's for example have full tread and are good in the rain and daily driving.
They differ from other tires only by tread life. The casing is the same as the non drag street radial. 555 extreme compared to 555R drag radial for example.
There is no wrinkle wall effect and no advantage to heating them up like a slick.

They are common and offer little if not no advantage to tires like 008's , parada's and W rated high end soft sports car tires.

Slicks are a different animal all together that is why this happened.

I hope this helps you make your vote.

T51R
January 2nd, 2003, 02:22 PM
This is a pretty funny thread.

So if slicks are banned for 2003, can i use the BFG drag radials instead? something like 335 60 15?

That is pretty much a wrinkle wall slick isnt it?

Well if you want to make it a real street car challenge
then its has to be this
pump gas
stock long block
and even stock turbo if included from the factory
no weight reduction
street tires that came from the factory.

To many excuses just bring what you got.
Here a little hint car will be 2800lbs instead of 3600 last time:)

ManHunter
January 2nd, 2003, 02:28 PM
Well I think we can't banned slicks. Many people go there to see how fast their car can go (more than actually racing against somebody else), and they won't be happy to loose a couple of seconds because they can't use their slicks. On the other hand, what Loose says is also true, there aren't enough cars to support al the different classes we would need.

I don't know what the solution is.

MH

T51R
January 2nd, 2003, 02:36 PM
You guys should make it like Calgary's street car challenge.

tubbed and non tubbed

maybe that is alittle extreme.

stock(bracket), sportsman(mid mods) and outlaw(quick 16)

Manhunter how you like the AEM?(or did you get it)

I might get its
I can't seem to control 6x 1000cc inj with my stock ecu anymore?

redbaron303
January 2nd, 2003, 02:41 PM
THE SCCC, when I was reading posts last summer, no where did it say you needed a "street" car, hell Zippys brought out their little civic for the event... I think it depends on the event.

Maybe we could do this kind of scenerio:

race a - anything goes, no holds barred
race b - slightly modded street car challenge, must use what you would use when daily driving (no race gas, slicks, interior taken out...) After market turbos...that sorta deal or just plain stock
The SCCC - again anything goes... like last years?

I think it would be neat to see if we could get all the same cars out for "race a" and "race b." It would be cool to see the difference in performance that a car like mau's supra or jack' fd would have. It's just an idea, and I think that may solve a couple of the problems, it would give everyone something to be happy for and race in...

fatbastard
January 2nd, 2003, 02:43 PM
I think this debate is stupid, really.

Ban slicks? If you guys want to see a Supra capable of 10's run 15's all day, then have at 'er. I feel if you want to ban slicks you should either ban AWD or have them as a seperate class because it adds an unfair advantage over everyone else. While you're at it, you could make classes that are simply turbo, and one for only people with K&N's. Where does it end? Loose said it the best, we don't have the people here to support it.

I'm all for a Quick 16 no holds barred kind of event. If you want the competition to actually be interesting to watch (alot of money is generated from spectators, too people!) then don't be stupid.

Ban slicks? If you want the first top 5 places to be Talons or WRX's. Be realistic. Yes, I am a Talon guy, but... I'm all for decent competition as well.

ManHunter
January 2nd, 2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by T51R@Jan 2 2003, 01:36 PM
Manhunter how you like the AEM?(or did you get it)

I might get its
I can't seem to control 6x 1000cc inj with my stock ecu anymore?

The EMS is installed, and I can drive the car, but it's not tuned yet. I installed it just before winter, and I'll need some extensive road tuning to get it right. In spring. :)

MH

v8slayer
January 2nd, 2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by fatbastard@Jan 2 2003, 12:43 PM
Ban slicks? If you guys want to see a Supra capable of 10's run 15's all day, then have at 'er. I feel if you want to ban slicks you should either ban AWD or have them as a seperate class because it adds an unfair advantage over everyone else.
FB, you are loosing me. Last I checked Sheppard's Talon and the Supra's were all running drag radial's and were in the 9's. So why would Calgary's Supra drop to 15's by putting drag radial's on?

T51R, go ahead and use whatever you want, even if it is 375 wide, we are just trying to decide what rules to make to keep it fair.

The drivers in IDRC Street Radial class seem to be happy with the rules down there. There needs to be some hard and fast rules for everybody to play by if you ever expect to see more than a $200 gift certificate as top prize for a class. Happy New Year everybody.

Happy Voting! :bigthumbup:

T51R
January 2nd, 2003, 03:41 PM
T51R, go ahead and use whatever you want, even if it is 375 wide, we are just trying to decide what rules to make to keep it fair.

I am just stating that a MT ET street 26x10.5x16 is basically the same as the BFG 335 60 15 or even less
so if you banned slicks then you have to ban nitto and bfg's too!

dogstar
January 2nd, 2003, 03:52 PM
i suggest that the rules state "the vehicle shall be raced as it was driven to the track, save for removing personal items, spares, and tools."

pretty simple if you ask me, and if someone is foolish enough to drive illegal slicks to the track and risk a major accident (dont think anyone here is that nuts) then you can run em, but the majority of the serious racers will come with drag radials, which will put them on a reasonably even traction footing with people who will come with sticky street tires.

just my 2 cents

Loose
January 2nd, 2003, 04:24 PM
Can we have a seperate class for stock mudflaps and no window tint?

Come on guys..... Quick 16!!!!!! That will be the most exciting. It's all about king of the hill.

IDRC has the street class because the cars there were becoming to far separated from what most of us drive on the street. The cars became wheelie barred tincans with lexan. We are not at that point and we have some very capable street cars that can still whoop the race cars. I think if someone wants to race their built engine race gas slurping car on slicks against everyone else then do it. It's run what you brung and hope you brought enough.

Restricting the vehicles will only slow down the sport. I wanna see it progress, and if that means some of the cars aren't in %100 street trim, so be it.

If you want to toot your horn as the "Fastest Street Trim" car (which are awesome bragging rights in my book), then that's fine as bragging rights, but I don't want to see the shootouts be tainted by rules and rule interpretations.

v8slayer
January 2nd, 2003, 05:31 PM
I never meant ban slicks I meant not include them in a street radial class.

Looking at how many people stepped up here today it clearly looks like the pole is accurate and worked well for us as we have enough people to run a slick class judging by how many responded in favor of them.

That means everyone will race and everyone will be happy!

Now its up to the big boys from here and a far to read all this and make a decession on how they want to run they're events.

I hope this helps our import racing further its self and bring some heavey hitters from back east and down south up even if they are just exhibition runs.
I personely know 3 gents that will come if we can get things professional and class organized so its worth they're trip.

;)

Thanks for all the input it was great.

Blaine B.
January 2nd, 2003, 06:59 PM
Street Car Shootout = Drag radials or regular street tires.

If we are to truly see a sport evolve to a higher level, the competitors need to compete within the rules to achieve an ultimate goal. The southern racers are waaay ahead of us in terms of speed and e.t..

Why?, because they worked within the rules and made gains in other areas of performance which negated the use of "slicks".

Wanna run slicks?, see you (maybe!) in the Quick 8 class.

Want to see how the machine you put your blood sweat & tears into fairs against somebody's else's pride and joy on an even playing ground? Then race in the street radial class.

A minimum # of classes "should" lead to a bigger payout in each class. I know this hasn't always been the case but I am hoping to change that. Once a set of rules has been laid down that can be applied year after year prize money can go up.

Another benefit to "universal" rules is you can see your machine stacks up against everybody else's world wide.

Cyanide Ride
January 2nd, 2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by dogstar@Jan 2 2003, 01:52 PM
i suggest that the rules state "the vehicle shall be raced as it was driven to the track, save for removing personal items, spares, and tools."

pretty simple if you ask me, and if someone is foolish enough to drive illegal slicks to the track and risk a major accident (dont think anyone here is that nuts) then you can run em, but the majority of the serious racers will come with drag radials, which will put them on a reasonably even traction footing with people who will come with sticky street tires.

just my 2 cents
I like this suggestion.

Perhaps not today, but definitely in the future, we'll have a need for a class where "Run what you brung" Using Dogstar's specifics.

It'd be nice to have something for the other guys to gun for too.

1mns13
January 2nd, 2003, 07:30 PM
I like slicks in one class and radials in another class because of the point Blaine brought up of working with the rules. There are plenty of fast(good e.t.) 2wd cars on drag radials.
Jared

T51R
January 3rd, 2003, 10:16 AM
Kool
So there is going to be a street car class this year?
and drag radial (D.O.T. approved tires only) are allowed.

So back to my first question.
MT ET Street 26x10.5x16 is a D.O.T approved radial so is it allowed in the street car class?.
Thats what i ran on last year not the MT DRAG SLICKS

v8slayer
January 3rd, 2003, 11:38 AM
Good bring them out , as long as they are treaded drag radials and not wrinkle walls.
The link below is an example of a Faux DOT drag tire that is not a radial design and is a wrinkle wall nylon style that IDRC banned from the street radial class.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip_e..._et_street.html (http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip_et_street.html)

As for the classes we don't have a heads up yet on what they feel will be done.

This thread was to get popular opinion so the people who do the organizing can see what the fans want. I hope they're watching.

Happy New Year

:bigthumbup:

Inzane
January 3rd, 2003, 01:23 PM
How much do treaded drag radials cost anyway? (ballpark)

I may need to take that next step this year.

v8slayer
January 3rd, 2003, 02:07 PM
My Nitto 555R 225/50/VR16 were 68.00 USD each.

www.nittotire.com

Got them at discounttire .com

Loose
January 3rd, 2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by v8slayer@Jan 3 2003, 09:38 AM

The link below is an example of a Faux DOT drag tire that is not a radial design and is a wrinkle wall nylon style that IDRC banned from the street radial class.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip_e..._et_street.html (http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip_et_street.html)

According to the IDRC link you provided, they aren't banned, there is a 150lb weight penalty associated with them.

That's funny, cause I thought they were completely banned... and a 150lb penalty does not come close to offsetting the advantage they have over a radial.

"Non-Radial D.O.T. Tires +150 Pounds "

v8slayer
January 3rd, 2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by T51R@Jan 3 2003, 08:16 AM
MT ET Street 26x10.5x16 is a D.O.T approved radial so ┬*is it allowed in the street car class?.

I don't under stand Loose you say if he runs a non radial its only a 150 lb penalty.
Penalty over what weight for is class and size?(2 power adders is nos next year)
Min 3000 + 150 equals 3150.
But didn't he say he wants to run 2700 lb's.

Also he said to us all he was running radials last year , was that the truth or was he running wrinkle wall nylons?

I checked. He has me confused about this.
Whats up bud?

:rolleyes:

bigpappa
January 3rd, 2003, 06:08 PM
like who cares this is a useless foroum? :wtf:

Loose
January 3rd, 2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by T51R@Jan 3 2003, 08:16 AM

MT ET Street 26x10.5x16 is a D.O.T approved radial so is it allowed in the street car class?.

Okey dokey,

Mr. T51R was on BFG's the first BOI and MT ET St. the 2nd BOI if my memory is correct. How's that for Acronym Alphabet Soup?

He was telling the truth, except got mixed up calling an ET Street a radial, which it's not. His BFG's, however, are.

About weights and classes, lets do you 2 for example:

V8Slayer: 4cyl + AWD + Turbo + N2O = 2400lb minimum, with driver. Good luck in getting down to that weight!

T51R: 6cyl + RWD + Turbo + N2O + ET Streets = 3100lb + 150lb penalty = 3250lb minimum, with driver. Again, good luck in getting down to that weight!

Bah, all this talk about racing is getting my imagination running wild. How bout we make a "Who will be the fastest next year" thread. That would stir some shit up old school style.

v8slayer
January 3rd, 2003, 10:53 PM
Thanks C for straightening that out.
I agree with you the weights are just wacked for a street car class aren't they.

Anyways I really am just trying to get some sort of rules or classes discussed here so It may help the sport in Edmonton.

I see some people call this thread a waste so I'm assuming they aren't the one's with 40,000+ dollar cars that were purpose built for certain classes.
I hope they can understand and just ignore this thread if it doesn't apply to them and let us try to figure some stuff out.
:(
You know if we had firm fair rules already we wouldn't even be having this discussion , how's that for a mind bender.
I guess someone had to step up and get dialog going to see what everyone would say and I thought that it was about time do to the ET's expected next summer by numerous cars.
Anyways I hope this dialog wasn't diludded by the complainers and that the people that will help our sport develope actually take note of this thread and poll to use they're content when making decissions. :fingersx:

After this cools for a while we should discuss what area we need to talk about next and get feed back on that subject.

Once we have classes set up who know's maybe we'll have an actual league or something and we'll have weekly points races at the track leading to a seasonal champ. If that actually happened street racing would get less and less and parents would stop burying they're kids. :fingersx:

Anyways thanks for all the input and for those of you who didn't like it just don't click the mouse on it! :bigthumbup:

v8slayer
January 3rd, 2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by T51R@Jan 2 2003, 12:22 PM

T51R
Is this the truth or were you blowing off steam?
I hope you didn't strip out a 75,000 car just to be fastest in a class your alone in.

I purpose built a street class car because I just love the fact my performance and comfort level at the track will be close to what it is on the street.
Except for the VHT effect and the weight of my spare tire and jack.
My car will be close to full weight and has all the trim and sound deadning still in it including the stereo.

I will keep my Nitto's on for weekend driving(since the casing is the same as the 555EXT so cornering is good) , Nos ready , propane ready , half a tank of C-16 since I have a barrell , stutter funtions active and full throttle shifting active so the difference between track and street will be minimal.

However will I ever use this stuff in a street race NO , I just like to know its there. lololol

I thought you knew I was in to the J.S. style Talon and that's what I was building.

If your car is 2800 lb's running slicks and mine is 3500 running radials with 1/3 less engine displacement I guess you can race someone else. ;) Even Sheppard makes sure his compition is in his class.

I know I would never risk my engine and drivetrain over a complete class mismatch. I would be an idiot to do so and I'm not rich!

Happy racing my friend and good luck.
:bigthumbup:

circle
January 4th, 2003, 01:10 AM
What about race gas? I don't suppose you use that on the street.

TurboTony
January 4th, 2003, 01:13 AM

Why not? :)

Tony

Blaine B.
January 4th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Ya what's up with that? :o

Inzane
January 4th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by v8slayer@Jan 3 2003, 09:20 PM
I hope you didn't strip out a 75,000 car just to be fastest in a class your alone in.

Agreed! :blink:

redbaron303
January 4th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Inzane@Jan 4 2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by v8slayer@Jan 3 2003, 09:20 PM

Agreed! :blink:
Ditto!

matrix_xrs
January 5th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by PearlyWhiteTSI@Jan 4 2003, 01:14 PM

Ya what's up with that? :o
No doubt , we are all curious about the truth? :blink:

1mns13
January 5th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Kudos to V8Slayer. Fast with Class. I'm trying to decide whether to say like that or not. I won't be touching those times early this year but maybe late.
Jared

Cyanide Ride
January 5th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by TurboTony@Jan 3 2003, 11:13 PM

Why not? :)

Tony
I don't suppose that'd be beyond you're pocket book to run Race gas each and every day huh? ;)

Blaine B.
January 5th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by BlueTurboEGG@Jan 5 2003, 07:34 PM
I don't suppose that'd be beyond you're pocket book to run Race gas each and every day huh? ;)
That would be beyond lot's of people's pocket books.

Do you drive the Egg day in and day out year around? Most people have a daily driver then they have "their baby". The daily driver gets the routine maintenance, but "the baby" gets as close to the best of everything that you can afford.

Blaine B.
January 5th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by 1mns13@Jan 5 2003, 06:30 PM
Kudos to V8Slayer. Fast with Class. I'm trying to decide whether to say like that or not.
It looks like we share some of the same tastes. :bigthumbup:

T51R
January 6th, 2003, 11:01 AM
I am not planning to compete in the etown events at all next year.(maybe 1)
I am putting my car on a diet to compete with my fello calgarians which are all in the low 10's and 9's and not to please BOI.
I dought i will reach 2800lbs but maybe 3000lbs.

As also stated in your first post NO SLICKS ALLOWED, last I check MT ET are DOT approved same as nitto and bfg drag radials
I did not call it a street radial "LOOSE" I called it a "dot approved radial".get it straight.

I dont want to spend more money on getting 3 sets of tires and rims just for racing, i am not sponsored, dont have a team and most of all dont have anymore money.

This is the most stupidiest topic ever, and why am i defending myself, what i do to my car is for my enjoyment and it seems you thing its more for your events.

ENOUGHT WITH THE DRAMA, JUST BRING WHAT YOU GOT

Inzane
January 6th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by T51R@Jan 6 2003, 09:01 AM
I dought i will reach 2800lbs but maybe 3000lbs.

and ROGER you fuking moron I am not strippin my car just to compete in etown events,

and also my car is not 75000, who that fuck told you that too.

MKIV Supra Turbos sold NEW in Canada were ~ $75k-$80K CDN.

I *think* Roger's point was merely that it'd be a shame to strip down a really NICE car, that's all.

v8slayer
January 6th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Inzane your totally right about the price and that I thought it would be a shame to strip as it is one of the nicest cars I have seen.

As for the MT ET's being a radial they are not a radial , do you know what radial means?

MT ET's are nylon wrinkle walls not a radial design at all that is where your mistaken also you said you have BFG drag radials or maybe Loose said it , how were they compared to your wrinkle wall MT ET's.

T51R please tell us what imports are in the 9's and 10's in cow town as we can update our list.

None of you please take this thread personally , class and rules will only help us have a better sport and possibly a league at the track someday as I said before.

I have already been talking to sponsers trying to get a All street car class pay out that will make it worth your while to not run wrinkle walls or strip your car.
Things my be a little more inline with a proper pay outs this year if the organizers allow it to be done. ;) :D

....and yes sometimes I am a moron I won't deny that.
But I'm far from a fucking Moron because I know the diff between radials and non-radial tires. ;) ;) ;)

T51R
January 6th, 2003, 12:23 PM
V8slayer: DID I SAY IMPORTS

QUIT PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH, START READING IT MORE CAREFULLY

BEFORE YOU START WHINNING.

DAMN ENOUGH OF THE DRAMA, guess i was wrong about MT ET's guess i am going to have to start selling cochaine and start pimping my ho's to get some new wheels

MT ET street are a D.O.T. approved tire(maybe not radial couldnt find it on their site) They passed all test done and are legal to use on the streets.
They arent recommend to be very safe for the steets, they cant go more than 30km on a corner,etc,etc,etc.
So are they a street tire? They are legal!

bigpappa
January 6th, 2003, 12:29 PM
see some people call this thread a waste so I'm assuming they aren't the one's with 40,000+ dollar cars that were purpose built for certain classes.
I hope they can understand and just ignore this thread if it doesn't apply to them and let us try to figure some stuff out.

boy your a real fuckin hero,that proves my point you cry about tires but why should you care you got the bread and the rest of us aren;t as good :thefinger: why should you care what the rest of us do or the rules when you are the king right?

talk about rules?why,roger are you worried that your times where not as fast as the cars or trucks that came out last year?so now you wanna put all these stupid rules in so you don't get embarrased by the supra from c-town or tonys truck.i wouldn't show my face either if i spent 40,000 can and could only muster a 12.5 or whatever you;ll run boy i would want stiff rules so i don't look stupid to props to you roger :thefinger:

v8slayer
January 6th, 2003, 12:31 PM
What about the BFG's don't you have them anymore?

I'm not whinning , but if I do you will know it because I'm really loud and sound like girl. :P

Seriuosly , if I was you I wouldn't worry because it looks like there will be enough people to run a slick class so you can rip them up as usuall. ;)

bigpappa
January 6th, 2003, 12:34 PM
LIKE I SAID BEFORE ""who cares'' tire classes ,we should follow the idrc rule book without the penalties thats it!! we will have to have no weight penalties who cares ahahah :thefinger: :thefinger:

bigpappa
January 6th, 2003, 12:38 PM
hey roger for 40,000 dollars your car should run a 8 sec quarter mile or else you have a really nice boat anchor. :bigthumbup:

v8slayer
January 6th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by bigpappa@Jan 6 2003, 10:29 AM
see some people call this thread a waste so I'm assuming they aren't the one's with 40,000+ dollar cars that were purpose built for certain classes.

boy your a real fuckin hero,that proves my point you cry about tires but why should you care you got the bread and the rest of us aren;t as good :thefinger: why should you care what the rest of us do or the rules when you are the king right?

talk about rules?why,roger are you worried that your times where not as fast as the cars or trucks that came out last year?so now you wanna put all these stupid rules in so you don't get embarrased by the supra from c-town or tonys truck.i wouldn't show my face either if i spent 40,000 can and could only muster a 12.5 or whatever you;ll run boy i would want stiff rules so i don't look stupid to props to you roger :thefinger:
Your intitled to your opinion but I'm hardly alone on this.
As for the 12.55 @ 116.65 I aready did that on a stock engine with boltons.
I'll hope for more but no telling what will happen.
I'm just a commoner as Marcin and Ron are the Kings and they will be on Street radials again if they come.

Why are you afraid of us getting rules that work for everyone so we can improve on things?
Don't you realize we will never get any where with the sport making comments like you just did.

TSK TSK :rolleyes:

T51R
January 6th, 2003, 12:47 PM
no i am not saying i am a king
the thread is about slicks and what legal for the streets should be legal for a another new class(street class).

MT ET street are a D.O.T. approved tire
They passed all test done and are legal to use on the streets.
They arent recommend to be very safe for the steets, they cant go more than 30km on a corner,etc,etc,etc.
So are they a street tire? They are legal!

I spent alot of money on my car and i am beatting it to death each time its at the track(just like everyone else) its not design to last, so why would you settle for less.

v8slayer
January 6th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Bigpappa
You feel so free to put my name up all over this site so why don't you tell us your name and what you drive?
Thanks ;)

Moderator2
January 6th, 2003, 12:51 PM
For your infomation,

The First V8less Drags SCCC will be on May 18 at Bud park.

This is a complete track rental by V8less.

Inzane
January 6th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by V8less@Jan 6 2003, 10:51 AM
For your infomation,

The First V8less Drags SCCC will be on May 18 at Bud park.

This is a complete track rental by V8less.
Sweet! Is this a confirmed date?

Is it going to be a team format again, or singles, or both? Race & Show, or just race?

Thanks.

Moderator2
January 6th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Rather than to detract from the current discussion, we will make an official annoucement soon. It will be similiar but hopefully with better weather :)

bigpappa
January 6th, 2003, 02:56 PM
here a choice let;s make a class for complainers??ehh that sounds good? :rolleyes:

bigpappa
January 6th, 2003, 02:58 PM
we could also make a class for all those people who got ripped off from zippies there would be a class all to themselves 20 people? :thefinger:

Cyanide Ride
January 6th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Good to hear we now have a date... something to look forward to.

Now, to address all of the drama, yes, this forum may be useless to some, and yes, some drag radials are street legal, but you know what?, you can just as easily skip over this topic.

My whole point is, I've spent time and money on my car, who here hasn't right?, but there is no way I'd be able to compete with guys like Roger or Mau directly. I mena, I'm only running 14's.

I don't have the time or the money.

I liked how the SCCC worked, with classes based on time. With only tenths (well, for some anyways) seperating everyone, each class winner was close.

So why not have an event for the guys who don't run slicks and race gas?, or even have an event racingunder bracket racing?.

That's the point of this topic, atleast how I see it.

Blaine B.
January 6th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by bigpappa@Jan 6 2003, 12:58 PM
we could also make a class for all those people who got ripped off from zippies there would be a class all to themselves 20 people? :thefinger:
I think I have an idea of who you are now.
Your initials are probably J.C. or P.S.
Or maybe you can grow the balls to come out and say who you are and what you drive, that is if you have a car.

Cyanide Ride
January 6th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Secure that shit or you will find YOUR ass in the sling.

v8slayer
January 6th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by BlueTurboEGG@Jan 6 2003, 02:01 PM

OK now it all makes sense bigpappa is Lino from Titan motorsports
I would expect nothing less from him as far as manners and honesty goes.

:rolleyes:

bigpappa
January 6th, 2003, 05:54 PM
nope not lino but a friend of his

bigpappa
January 6th, 2003, 05:55 PM
and by the way i drive a eagle talon green

Blaine B.
January 6th, 2003, 06:21 PM
What year?

v8slayer
January 6th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by bigpappa@Jan 6 2003, 03:55 PM
Good attempt to through us off! :mellow:

bigpappa
January 6th, 2003, 06:40 PM
96 green why you ask?roger we met at the jb;s shootout when you where with the russian guy.

bigpappa
January 6th, 2003, 06:46 PM
ohh and by the way lino name on here is tcr100 get it straight?shows how much you know him?or are you done treatin your friends like shit?

v8slayer
January 6th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Good try lino

Cyanide Ride
January 7th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by bigpappa@Jan 6 2003, 03:55 PM
That better not be you Brad.

Cyanide Ride
January 7th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by bigpappa@Jan 6 2003, 04:46 PM
ohh and by the way lino name on here is tcr100 get it straight?shows how much you know him?or are you done treatin your friends like shit?
Roger has never EVER treated me with disrespect.

He has always helped me whenever I needed help without even asking and wears his personality on his sleeve.

There is no second guessing what Roger thinks, in my books he will always be a stand-up guy who's helped me when noone else would and asked for nothing in return other than a "Hey, hows the car running" He is a true enthusiast a a competitor in the feild.

You can't put a price on that. Rogers friendship is gold.

Blaine B.
January 7th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by BlueTurboEGG@Jan 7 2003, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by bigpappa@Jan 6 2003, 04:46 PM
Roger has never EVER treated me with disrespect.

He has always helped me whenever I needed help without even asking and wears his personality on his sleeve.

There is no second guessing what Roger thinks, in my books he will always be a stand-up guy who's helped me when noone else would and asked for nothing in return other than a "Hey, hows the car running" He is a true enthusiast a a competitor in the feild.

You can't put a price on that. Rogers friendship is gold.
Direct hit BTE, couldn't have said it better myself.

Mark Seto
January 7th, 2003, 12:44 PM
:grouphug:

Thanks for all the info, some of it got kinda wacky but it great to see your opinions.

Cyanide Ride
January 7th, 2003, 01:20 PM
hey, Hey, HEY&#33;, keep your :grouphug: to yourself Mr. "If I was to marry a guy, it&#39;d be Andy" <shiver> :huh: Ack&#33;, get away, getaway&#33; :gay:

v8slayer
January 7th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Stop it I&#39;m going to cry. :tear:

1mns13
January 7th, 2003, 11:00 PM
This Roger guy seems like an alright guy. I look forward to meeting him at the races.
Jared

Loose
January 7th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Shoud we make a neew gay cirlce jerking forums???? :gay:

Ha ha, just playin. I think most of you are into chicks, right?

fatbastard
January 8th, 2003, 01:32 AM
Before I vomit all over the place, back to the tire debate.

To be honest, I don&#39;t care too much about who runs what on what tires. I build/race my own cars for my own enjoyment. I refuse to make excuses to as to why the car is slow or not slow. If that were the case it would be:

1992 Mitsu Mirage 4G63T
Stock internals (only)
15 psi (only)
Stock turbo with chipped wheels
Stock injectors (only)
Stock MAF (only)
Intercooler not in prime position
Knocking rod (yes, I raced on a bad rod bearing)
155/80/13&#39;s
1.75" stock exhaust (only)
Rusty Tailgate
Fat Driver (Roger and I race with a handicap LOL)
Dynapack Clutch

And this got me a 14.0@101. Is that a bad time? I think not. Will slicks help me out alot next year? I think so. What will I be running next year? Slicks. If I can&#39;t race at your events, then so be it. I&#39;m all about enjoying the car. Test and Tune days are good enough for me. If I run my best times on slicks, then so be it. I&#39;d be really curious to see my street tire time as well, but they will be true "Street Tires". The 155/80/13&#39;s will be brought out again&#33;

Next years plans are nasty for the new Colt, aka Grimace. Traction will be a major issue. I&#39;m looking forward to it&#33;

4kruzn
January 8th, 2003, 01:48 AM
:blink: all this talk about slicks and radials, and not one mention of 4wd vs front or rear drive. how could we possibly have a fun fair race event unless we all drive equally prepaired,equal weight, equal powerd, same wheel drive cars on the same size tires from the same manufacturer? just try to think is it more equal to run a 4wd on 4 bfg drag radials against your fwd car with only 2? Just my two cents, let people run what the bring and have more cars = more fun.

v8slayer
January 8th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Did you read all the posts or did you start on the 6th page? LOLOL

This is what would be ideal but it won&#39;t happen so we are just trying to see if we can start some where and eventally get there.

On a different note why does everyone who whines about awd cars NEVER mention the fact we carry a 400-600 pound weight handicap(depending on car brand) , an extra 5-8% drive train loss and have even a smaller engine than a prelude.

By the way my 60&#39; time was 1.98 when I did 117.40 mph in the 1/4 mile.
Hardly a benifet to have awd.

The boys who have perfected the classes down south know AWD isn&#39;t the best and RWD kicks ass and can be lighter depending on the car.

The fact is if we don&#39;t get some rules and classes our sport we never develope up here.

This whole thread did do one positive thing though , it has shown there is cleary enough people to run a slick only class. So stop worrying. ;)

v8slayer
January 8th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Loose@Jan 7 2003, 09:06 PM
Shoud we make a neew gay cirlce jerking forums???? :gay:

Ha ha, just playin. I think most of you are into chicks, right?
I&#39;m married and have 1 kid and another do March 10th.

Just wanted to clearify that.
:blink:

wanksta
January 9th, 2003, 07:07 AM
I like loose&#39;s idea of a quick 16 class.
However, maybe narrow that down a bit to maybe a quick 8 as i really doubt theres 16 cars that can be relatively competitive with eachother.
As for the awd advantage of divi&#39;ing up tire classes, yes it does exist.
If you turned a 1.98, im sure you can do at least that consistently, whereas thats not very likely with a rwd car with huge power, let alone a fwd. Im an avid fan of "run what you brung" provided it doesnt class tubbed and non tubbed cars together (ie. cars that should not be on the street vs. normal cars with x amount of mods)

Blaine B.
January 9th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by wanksta@Jan 9 2003, 06:07 AM
I like loose&#39;s idea of a quick 16 class.
However, maybe narrow that down a bit to maybe a quick 8 as i really doubt theres 16 cars that can be relatively competitive with eachother.
As for the awd advantage of divi&#39;ing up tire classes, yes it does exist.
If you turned a 1.98, im sure you can do at least that consistently, whereas thats not very likely with a rwd car with huge power, let alone a fwd. Im an avid fan of "run what you brung" provided it doesnt class tubbed and non tubbed cars together (ie. cars that should not be on the street vs. normal cars with x amount of mods)
Consistency is a direct result of tuning and suspension tweaking, as well as driving ability. It is applicable to all drivetrain layouts.

wanksta
January 9th, 2003, 04:56 PM
I agree. But awd is still easier to drive consistently if huge amounts of power are present.

talont
January 10th, 2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by wanksta@Jan 9 2003, 02:56 PM
I agree. But awd is still easier to drive consistently if huge amounts of power are present.
Hahahah, I think you will find that opinions will vary. have you ever tried to consistantly launch a awd?
PearlyWhiteTSI you hit the nail on the head. the most important factor in consistancy is driver skill.

talont
January 10th, 2003, 03:20 AM
I go away for a few months and all hell breaks loose :D

I think the tire issue is both important and valid. Events are becoming bigger and better thanks to local organizers and sponsors volunteering their time and money. The import scene in Edmonton is growing extremely fast. We are seeing more cars at the events going faster and if we want things to continue to grow and become organized then I think a level playing field should be put in place regarding the "Tire issue".
I know there are a lot of serious competitors who have spent allot of time and money on there cars here in Edmonton and even more, who with limited time and money are just as serious but would also love to have more competitors come out. This would defiantly include people from across Canada and even our friends down south. (More competitors mean more evenly matched classes and more money). This will never happen unless rules are in place.

The idea of "anything goes" was great when things were small but I think we have outgrown this and it is time to focus on making things better for everyone.

I thought the way BOI was done was fair and competitive with the exception of slicks. They should have their own class period. Everything else stays the same.

That way we have:
SLICKS - open to all 4&6 cylinder, 2&3 Rotary. Unlimited Modifications. Slicks.
OUTLAW - open to all 4&6 cylinder, 2&3 Rotary. Unlimited Modifications. Radial
COMP - open to all 4&6 cylinder, 2&3 Rotary, Limited modifications. one power adder. Radials
STOCK - open to 6cyl. 4cyl with factory turbo/supercharger. Boost controller and intercoolers. Radials
BRACKET - Dial in and have fun.

There needs to be classes for EVERYONE so that no one is left out and that defiantly includes slicks.

Thanks Roger for having the guts to stick your neck out and address this topic. :bigthumbup:

talont3t4
January 24th, 2003, 11:16 PM
I think something has to be done eventually, other wise you well have 3000+lb cars with street tires running against 1800+ stripped and gutted cars on slicks. I would like to see a street tire ( any street legal tire ), no gutting of interior, and even no race fuel. To me that&#39;s a true "street car". That&#39;s just my personal opinion, either way i&#39;m still coming out to race and better my time, i like to see some fast times just to gain respect for "├Âur" sport with the v8 guys. I think if someone could run a 10 that would be great for all of us&#33; The reason we all race i think is to have a good time and see what our cars can do. I think some rules well be nessasary to keep everything competitive but to many well just cause problems. it a fine line we are going to have to walk&#33; :fingersx:

redbaron303
January 26th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Are drag radials a good investment if you run a 14.3 but not consistantly... or are there cheaper better ways to put yourself into the 13&#39;s?&#33; I&#39;m asking how to improve drag times and what the best most effective way to do that is (next to driver skill), so is it tires, suspension, power adders?&#33;

dogstar
January 27th, 2003, 03:22 AM
baron, id say some power adders and a lot of practice should put that car into the 13s, hell, maybe a metal head gasket and some stronger studs in the head might allow you to crank the boost a bit, and that should get you into the 13s on a good quick run.

question for someone, ive read most of the rules, and unless i missed it, where would my car, an 82 supra which ill be swapping a 88-92 turbo supra engine into, fit??

it looks like outlaw class from what i can gather, which probably means ill be destroyed as soon as i get on the track, but again, ive probably missed something in the rules.

Blaine B.
January 27th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by dogstar@Jan 27 2003, 02:22 AM
baron, id say some power adders and a lot of practice should put that car into the 13s, hell, maybe a metal head gasket and some stronger studs in the head might allow you to crank the boost a bit, and that should get you into the 13s on a good quick run.

question for someone, ive read most of the rules, and unless i missed it, where would my car, an 82 supra which ill be swapping a 88-92 turbo supra engine into, fit??

it looks like outlaw class from what i can gather, which probably means ill be destroyed as soon as i get on the track, but again, ive probably missed something in the rules.
"Engine manufacturer must match vehicle chassis manufacturer. Brother-company substitutions are allowed, such as Lexus/Toyota, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura. Domestic manufactured engines (Ford, GM, Chrysler) are limited to four cylinders and OHC six cylinders. Engine must be located and configured in OEM location. Setting engine forward or back is allowable when and only when modified engine mounts attach to factory mounts on the frame or cross-member assembly. Changing engine from transverse configuration (East-to-West) to
conventional (North-to-South) is not allowed. Engine type (# of cylinders) and the number of power adders will establish minimum weight breaks along with drive configuration (FWD, RWD, AWD)."

If your ride meets this description, you can run in Street Class according to IDRC rules. Bracket Class rules are wide open, almost anything goes.

IH8V8S
January 27th, 2003, 04:53 PM
And here I thought we had worked this all out??? Didn&#39;t we agree to go with IDRC rules??? Is n&#39;t this like bringing up the same issue all over again??? :wacko: I think all this is just going to create 17 classes with 2 cars in each one and where will the excitement be??? :wtf: Sorry Guys, but my thoughts are Bracket (Any car any times), Modified (14.0-16.0 Heads up), and outlaw (Whoever can run faster than 14.0). What do you guys figure??? :wacko:

Karl :gay: