PDA

View Full Version : SCC's Ultimate Streetcar Challenge

Cyanide Ride
January 2nd, 2002, 10:09 AM
I'll be posting descriptions of the 10 cars that made it to the finals of SCC's Ultimate Streetcar Challenge.

For the Ultimate Street Car Challenge they're going to be testing reader's street-driven cars in a series of decathlon events to measure acceleration, braking, handling and drivability.

A very interesting mix of cars made it in this year,most notably, a twin engine, twin turbo'd methanol powered Hyundai Tiburon, a blown 5.0 Mustang, and a 360 Ferrari.

It looks to be a very interesting competition.

Marximus
January 2nd, 2002, 12:22 PM
Been thinking of running a street car shootout.

Based on the following:

1. Drag
2. Autocross
3. Show

I'll start a new thread rather than posting here.

Please go here:
http://asianet.ca/cgi-bin/topic.cgi?forum=15&topic=199

Cyanide Ride
January 2nd, 2002, 10:43 PM
Here are the top ten cars in no particular order:

1998 Hyundai Tiburon twin engine, both automatic, methanol powered turbocharged. No HP figures, but it pulls 10.6 in the 1/4 mile.

2000 Nissan Snetra SE Turbo charged about 300 HP BHP.

1999 Ferrari 360 Modena F1 tubi exhaust, otherwise stock on slick tires.

1988 Ford Mustang with about 600 BHP

2000 Acura Integra Type R supercharged about 250 BHP

1985 Toyota MR2 Twin Charged (supercharger and Turbo Charger) no hp figures

1972 Datsun 510 Rotary powered no hp figures

1994 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo no hp figures

1996 Skyline GT-R approx. 505 BHP

1990 300ZX Twin Turbo No HP numbers but pulls an 11.90 at 114MPH.

For more details wait until I have more time or go and get yourself a copy of January's edition of Sport Compact Car.

Each car has had copious amounts of modifications to them in terms of suspension and engine.

I have high hopes for the Twin Charger MR2 or the (of course) the Skyline with the Supra in close somewhere.

Any bets? http://www.asianet.ca/images/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

TALONV8KILLER
January 3rd, 2002, 10:35 PM
Isn't John Shepards car a street car?
9.97 @ 143 mph ....................2.0L
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Cyanide Ride
January 4th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Yeah but noone voted for DSM's...

Cyanide Ride
January 4th, 2002, 10:05 AM
http://www.asianet.ca/images/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Talonts96
January 4th, 2002, 02:11 PM
I wonder why DSM's werent entered. John Sheppard's car is the fastest street car ever. It holds the record according to Speedvision's IHRA show. So why would anyone vote for his car. If you can't beat them, IGNORE THEIR EXISTANCE thats the way to win right? Well it might be the only way to win for some of these cars.....lol. Sheppard's car gets my vote even if it wasn't entered in the competition.

Talonts96
January 4th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Who reads That bogus magazine anyway...SCC is full of rice......lol

Loose
January 4th, 2002, 03:35 PM
The SCC challenge was not limited to the drag strip. I believe they raced at Willow Springs also.

I wonder how Shepard would do on a road course? http://www.asianet.ca/images/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

By the way the winning car was the most expensive one...

CYA
January 4th, 2002, 03:48 PM
fastest street car ever? i wasn't going to comment in here but that is obviously not true. and you know it. want an example real close to home? vince's blown challenger from calgary. low 9's. another example that's more similar to yours (i.e. magazine sourced) lee howie's single turbo 5.0L 8.30's... another example don what's his name with the green vette that was here... 7's. on the last example yeah... i've heard it's not much of a street car (by my definition) but IHRA or NHRA's or rules similar to that then... yes it's a street car.

loose has the right idea though. typically the most expensive one wins and none of the cars i mentioned are any good at road courses.

TALONV8KILLER
January 4th, 2002, 07:04 PM
CYA , your to quick to answer again.
Were on a Import mag and conversation here.
Keep the classes straight and avoid bullshit replys like this.
But you right it would take double the DIS to beat shepard.

CYA
January 4th, 2002, 08:11 PM
uh h*llo mcfly?? wanna read what the 4th car on that list is?? need double the displacement to beat joe lamb or whatever his name is?? please!... when you see a talon running anywhere near 6.6's @ 210+ on gas... not alcohol or whatever then we'll have this discussion.

Cyanide Ride
January 4th, 2002, 08:14 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Loose on 1:35 pm on Jan. 4, 2002
The SCC challenge was not limited to the drag strip. *I believe they raced at Willow Springs also.

I wonder how Shepard would do on a road course? http://www.asianet.ca/images/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

By the way the winning car was the most expensive one...
[/b][/quote]

Is the "results" issue out already?!...

Talonts96
January 4th, 2002, 11:38 PM
When speedvision broadcast this event they were talking about IMPORT cars and yes DSM's hold the record for the fastest street and unibody cars. Plus sheppards car is a true street car that he drives to work a couple times a week with regular tread street tiers not slicks of any kind so please do not insult our inteligence in comparing cars like tahat 7 second vette that was in town to street class cars. I mean its a Joke they would even say that. It was amazing that they would even hint that the car is street legal. The car had no interior tube chasis type, was louder than shit and used up the full tank of gas in the quarter...lol

Also remember these rear wheel drive cars with full slicks at the track will not do anywhere near as well on the street with street tires. Sheppards Talon would since thats what he uses on at the track. Oh his car is also full interior..can you say that about this so called street legal corvette...give me a break.

Cyanide Ride
January 5th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Well, I don't think we should be limiting our arguments to some of the worst examples of street race cars. yes, that Vette at V8less was a trailer queen.

If you want to talk about the best streetable car that is warp capable, look at the Buick GN's, Look at the Nissan Skylines... But I think we are also missing an important part in the equation: The driver's abilities.

Sheppards car would seem to be designed around a 1/4 theme, the USCC is about balance.

That 7 second Vette would definitely inflict some hurt on the competition, but going fast in a straight line isn't what it's all about here.

Balance, balance, balance, isn't that what everyone wants?. Car's designed around a solitary function don't do well out of their element, period.

Loose
January 6th, 2002, 08:31 PM
You want to talk about really fast street cars, and your not going to be looking at imports IMO.

Yes Don Murray's Vette is not a street car, but did any of you look at Vince's Dodge? Deep in the 9's on pump gas, and that's here. What is the fastest import street car here? Mid 12's? That is really fast, and really respectable, but far from what the domestics have done. I'm trying to be realistic and open minded here.

As far as I know, the fastest import on radials was Eddie Bello's Porsche, which went low 9's at 160+ on Toyo Proxes, and full interior (Minus a passenger seat which would have to be added to compete in the class).

The name Lee Howie rang a bell, so I pulled out my old MM&FF mag (ugh, I admited it). Do yourselves a favour, search for his car on the net, and see what this car has done....

Cyanide Ride
January 6th, 2002, 09:44 PM
This was all I could find on Lee Howie or anyone from Howie Automotive...

http://www.syclone.freeserve.co.uk/wheeliety.htm

(see Buick Turbo 6's rule http://www.asianet.ca/images/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif )

CYA
January 6th, 2002, 11:45 PM
Quote: from Talonts96 on 12:11 pm on Jan. 4, 2002
John Sheppard's car is the fastest street car ever.

not only can you not comprehend what i wrote but you have no idea what you wrote either... i've quoted it above to refresh your own memory.

CYA
January 6th, 2002, 11:53 PM
Quote: from CYA on 1:48 pm on Jan. 4, 2002
another example don what's his name with the green vette that was here... 7's. *on the last example yeah... i've heard it's not much of a street car (by my definition) but IHRA or NHRA's or rules similar to that then... yes it's a street car.

one more to refresh your memory.

Talonts96
January 7th, 2002, 11:46 AM
CYA!
For crying out loud what the h*ll are you talking about? Get off this V8 shit. I told you that the Speedvision show was about imports, IMPORTS..........I made a mistake that it was IHRA the show is actually NIRA (boo boo on my part) NIRA, I think stands for National Import Racing Accociation. I may be wrong . Anyway, Sheppard's and Glacier's Talons set two records during that event the fastest street car and the fastest unibody car. REMEMBER CYA this is an import class. Dont be comparing the Detroit Iron boys that have been drag racing for over 50 years to the import cars that are relativelly new to drag racing. Wait a few years more to see if the import cars catch up to the Detroit Iron.

Oh yeah I'd like to see these really quick detroit muscle cars take a turn a the end of the track.

Dont be saying that I'm confused, it seems to me that the only one thats confused is you. Were talking about Import cars here and Sheppard's and Glacier's car have set the records for the fastest cars in their class.

Crazyhorse
January 7th, 2002, 11:59 AM
I agree, I dunno why SCC put a mustang or Ferrari in the challenge. Quite honestly I don't care how fast Detroit Iron can go, I know they're fast. The only thing that interests me is imports, and most of these discussions I automatically assume that we're talking imports. Isn't this site called V8less???

CYA
January 7th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Quote: from CYA on 1:48 pm on Jan. 4, 2002
typically the most expensive one wins and none of the cars i mentioned are any good at road courses.

you guys are supposed to pour the gas in your car's gas tank... not sniff the stuff.

backpeddling i see huh? fastest in their class... maybe. i wouldn't know cause i don't follow that. but this...

Quote: from Talonts96 on 12:11 pm on Jan. 4, 2002
John Sheppard's car is the fastest street car ever.

...is NOT the same statement.

Talonts96
January 7th, 2002, 02:53 PM
It is the same statement if you arent brain dead and know that were taking about imports here .....This site is called V8less and thats what were talking about Detroit Iron boy......

Were talking about imports and Sheppards car is the fastest street legal car ever......acording to NIRA anyway.....Watch the f*cking program I have a copy of it if you want to see it.....

CYA
January 7th, 2002, 03:05 PM
what's the matter can't think of any other good excuses so you have to borrow somebody else's? *FYI the board is asianet and v8less was incorporated into it later. *but that's besides the point... point is your statement is false. *furthermore... bringing up the v8less thing is pretty weak anyway since the subject of this thread is SCC's Ultimate Streetcar Challenge. *in other words... NO we're NOT talking about imports only. once again... comprehension problems. *hooked on phonics anyone?

(Edited by CYA at 1http://www.asianet.ca/images/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif7 pm on Jan. 7, 2002)

Marximus
January 7th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Moved to 'bringiton'. If you want to continue this discussion.

Marximus
January 7th, 2002, 03:18 PM
#Moderation Mode

Moved

Moved here (http://asianet.ca/cgi-bin/topic.cgi?forum=11&topic=46)

lawn boy
January 7th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Man you guys need to chill. Is it the cold weather?

Talonts96
January 7th, 2002, 03:38 PM
CYA!!
I gotta admit that youre probably right in one aspect, that is, the statement "Sheppards Car is the fastest street car ever" may not be absolutely true to the line, you really need to put it in context with what I was trying to say. Of course when I was making that statement I was assuming that people on the board were not complete morons and would know that I am talking about an import car considering that I was referring to a speedvision show about import racing. I figured that no one on this board is a moron and would be able to put the two together. This also being that only one of the cars selected in the Ultimate Car chalange was not an import. The point that I was making is that some of the cars picked were not very impressive and that there are cars out there that are alot more deserving to be on the list. I was suprised that cars like that would be completely overlooked.

It seems to me that You have a personal vendetta with DSM's or maybe just their owners. I was following up a link on performance where you started a fight with talonV8killer about intakes. I mean just because you drive a belly button detoit iron car doesnt necessarily have to make you the enemy or the bad guy even though this site seems to be predomently viewed by import car lovers. I mean I owned a 1989 Mustang 5.0 back in 1992 and it didnt automatically convert me to an ####### that tried to pick a fight whenever possible and I sure hope I dont come across as an ####### right now.

CYA
January 7th, 2002, 04:12 PM
what you intended to say and what you said are two very different things. when someone says such and such car was the fastest ever it does not mean only in the show (and it's rules and guidelines) you watched on tv. if what you meant is that it is the fastest in it's class then i would assume "people on this board are not complete morons" and say so.

once again i do not have anything against any car be it import/domestic... what you need to examine is your stereotypical attitude towards people who happen to own a domestic car. for example the intake thread where roger started on the name calling with "v8 boy".

all i gotta say about that is he's got a big mouth and needs to watch what he says.

Talonts96
January 7th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Well I think you came down on him pretty hard to begin with ...before the v8 boy stuff. Anyway, the reason why I said fastest ever is because the car holds the record according to NIRA. His time is the time to beat.

REFLUX
January 7th, 2002, 04:57 PM
sorry to cut your bitch session short, but what kinds of trials are they running with the cars?

I'm thinking:
1/4 mile
slalom
skidpad
maybe some kind of circuit racing???

If that's it, SCC should think of a few more things to "test" the cars IMO

Cyanide Ride
January 7th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Pretty much what you said there, acceleration, braking, handling, durability, drivability and a few surprise tests...

REFLUX
February 10th, 2002, 06:33 PM
hope i dont ruin this for anyone

but i seriously thot the Skyline or 300ZX shoulda taken it
not even that stupid lil datsun 510 shoulda come close
such an ugly car...how could they give it top marks for LOOKS???
pathetic

& as for the Ferrari winning it.................blah

Cyanide Ride
February 11th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Like you weren&#39;t expecting the Ferrari to come out on top, it&#39;s completely stock save for the wheels&#33;.

The team that brought out the Skyline weren&#39;t too smart... Adding a Methanol injection system at the last minute really hurt them, not to mention the race clutch, and then those electronics problems...

That little 510 ad a super modified Rotary in it...

Cyanide Ride
February 11th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Hey, nice avatar man http://asianet.ca/images/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

REFLUX
February 11th, 2002, 12:17 PM
hehe thnx

Thing is...i didn&#39;t think the 510 looked good at all, i mean...WOOO FLASHY ORANGE PAINT woooooooo&#33;&#33;

sheesh...oh well, but i did NOT expect the Ferrari to WIN. I figured it would place in top 3 but not a win
dah well....till next year

Cyanide Ride
February 11th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Well, some of those surprise tests really killed some of the fav&#39;s.

I didn&#39;t see the 510 up close, but last months issue detailed every car and the 510 looked super sano clean.

REFLUX
February 11th, 2002, 04:27 PM
dah well, surprise surprise
http://asianet.ca/images/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif