PDA

View Full Version : How much would it cost for a custom turbo?

Gary
February 18th, 2003, 12:54 AM
I have a 2.5L V6 duratec motor and was wondering how much a turbo setup would cost. I can get a setup from the States, but that is way too expensive, especially with the exchange.

I was first thinking supercharger, but I would rather have a turbo. If anybody knows what it takes to make one work or who I should talk to, it would be appreciated....thanks!

SlowAzzPorsche911T
February 18th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Gary I've done A LOT of research about turbos cause of my 2.7 L boxer 6 cly. This is what you'll most likely need.... A fuel management system, custom piping and exhaust work, custom manifold, some gauges and perhaps an intercooler just to keep the heat down... As far as I know all those components mentioned above are necessary.... also depending on the strength and age of the engine it would be wise to go with aluminum forged pistons, new connecting rods, re-do your valves, and maybe some other things... most people think you can just slap a T4 turbo on a Civic LX and run 10 lbs. of boost all day w/o killing your engine in 4 yrs.. and those ppl are fools.. same with just adding some no2 right on your stock engine like this guy did on his '02 Cavalier... the fool ran out of gas actually and for some reason the system shot pure no2 into his cylinders and it blew the pistons apart, cracked 3 connecting rods and melted some of the pistons onto the cylinder wall LOL. As far as cost.. depends o what kit you're going with. Talk to PearlyWhiteTSI or bigpappa on here for turbo kits... also try silentrage..

Hope this helped.. Matt

Dirty_SOHC
February 18th, 2003, 12:51 PM
For a nice custom kit for a honda, your looking abour 7-8 grand for decent goodies

Gary
February 18th, 2003, 02:54 PM
I dont want to change the internals of my motor at all....just need something to give me that little extra boost!

I'm going to call around i guess, and hopefully somebody will be able to help me out...

...thanks guys!

mrprecidia
February 18th, 2003, 02:59 PM
why dont you go with a nitrous kit if you want just a bit more boost? more bang for the buck.

Gary
February 18th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by mrprecidia@Feb 18 2003, 12:59 PM
why dont you go with a nitrous kit if you want just a bit more boost? more bang for the buck.
haha...i know...i can't decide between the two. If I were to get a nitrous kit, I would get the VCN-2000. But with the turbo you have the power all the time.

What does everybody here think? opinions??

Blaine B.
February 18th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Speed costs money, how fast you go usually corelates to how much money you spend. Unless you are driving a DSM :bigthumbup:
Mr. Precidia is correct, bang for the buck it is hard to beat Nitrous. Unless you are going to have the car for a very long time and it means something special to you, nitrous is a decent "investment".
Custom turbo kit, you are looking at at least $5000, that's before engine management costs.

Gary
February 18th, 2003, 08:40 PM
PearlyWhite....can you get the VCN-2000?...if so how much?

thanks

Benny
February 18th, 2003, 11:29 PM
If there was one thing I learned about Nitrous is that it sucks bad, cause your car is fuckin slow ass with out it. Got no bottle, got no speed. Chargers and Turbines are constant power on Tap, ALL THE TIME. That and the fact using N2O on the streets is pretty dumb anyways, not to mention VERY VERY illegal.

Blaine B.
February 19th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Benny@Feb 18 2003, 10:29 PM
If there was one thing I learned about Nitrous is that it sucks bad, cause your car is fuckin slow ass with out it. Got no bottle, got no speed. Chargers and Turbines are constant power on Tap, ALL THE TIME. That and the fact using N2O on the streets is pretty dumb anyways, not to mention VERY VERY illegal.
This is also true. Nitrous is illegal for use on public roads. So is speeding.

prophet_ca
February 20th, 2003, 02:17 PM
GO WITH THE NITROUS, PIECING TOGETHER A TURBO KIT IS ONLY CHEAP IF YOU BUY THE PARTS USED, OR GET REALLY GOOD DEALS ON NEW PARTS

scooby_dooby
February 25th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Why does it have to cost $5000 for a custom turbo?

here's a post from another forum, tell my why no-body is sharing the hookups here in E-town, all prices are in american but it works out to about $2000 canadian. BTW This is a only a mild set-up meant for only 6-8lbs.

B18A stock block
ARP head studs ($200)
stock head gasket ($90)
STR block guard when the head is off the car ($160)
B18A stock head with stock cams (i figure thats what you have???)
T25 or T3 turbo would be fine ($300)
Eagle Talon Blowoff valve or Saab blowoff ($50)
intercoolerpiping (no intercooler) ($60)
hose clamps for piping ($20)
oil return line #10 line ($10)
Turbo manifold without external wastegate, leave the stock one on the turbo ($400)
310cc injectors from a Prelude ($50)
FMU 8to 1ratio ($100)
missing link or check valves ($50)
255 Walbro intank pump ($200) a must. Your fuel system is key for longevity. When a motor works efficently it lives.
Tap your oil pan with fittings ($10)
B&M adjustable fuel pressure regulator ($80)
oil feed line from the back of the block with all the fittings (#3 line) ($130)
boost guage ($80)
Lastly some dyno time to tune her properly

is this so unreasonable?? Why??

prophet_ca
February 25th, 2003, 07:34 PM
B18A stock block
ARP head studs ($200) (Dont know if these are needed)
stock head gasket ($90)
STR block guard when the head is off the car ($160) (Dont know if these are needed)
B18A stock head with stock cams (i figure thats what you have???)
T25 or T3 turbo would be fine ($300)
Eagle Talon Blowoff valve or Saab blowoff ($50)
intercoolerpiping (no intercooler) ($60) (Even a cheap talon intercooler is good to have)
hose clamps for piping ($20) Get some t-bolt clamps and pipe humped
oil return line #10 line ($10)
Turbo manifold without external wastegate, leave the stock one on the turbo ($400)
310cc injectors from a Prelude ($50)
FMU 8to 1ratio ($100)
missing link or check valves ($50)
255 Walbro intank pump ($200) a must. Your fuel system is key for longevity. When a motor works efficently it lives.
Tap your oil pan with fittings ($10)
B&M adjustable fuel pressure regulator ($80)
oil feed line from the back of the block with all the fittings (#3 line) ($130)
boost guage ($80)
Lastly some dyno time to tune her properly Important, Important

Might also what to do something about compression, perhaps a thicker headgasket.. Don't want detonation, and or rods breaking (don't know how strong honda rods are)

Im building a turbo setup is and im at 2100 (but i got hella more stuff than that list).. still need to get a wide band o2 sensor $240CDN (if napa ever gets it), and get my wide band controller made... Some some other misc items.. Im documenting this little experiment at http://www.members.shaw.ca/turboneon/

scooby_dooby
February 25th, 2003, 08:10 PM
where did you get your parts?

Seems to me if you can save money on the big ticket items (Turbo, Manifold) you should be able to piece a custom turbo together for WAY less than 5000.

Isn't a wide band O2 sensor used for tuning your a/f ratio? I thought most people just went to a dyno that has onbe and used theirs....

pearlwhiteTSI, you don't by chance work at Zippy's Auto do you??

prophet_ca
February 25th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by scooby_dooby@Feb 25 2003, 06:10 PM
where did you get your parts?

Seems to me if you can save money on the big ticket items (Turbo, Manifold) you should be able to piece a custom turbo together for WAY less than 5000.

Isn't a wide band O2 sensor used for tuning your a/f ratio? I thought most people just went to a dyno that has onbe and used theirs....

pearlwhiteTSI,* you don't by chance work at Zippy's Auto do you??

I got my parts from all over the place... Ebay, Neons.org, Clubsi.com, Turbododge.com, Dsmtrader.com, JunkYards, Zippy's Prodrag, etc etc.. You could easily build your system for less than 5g's, would it last thats other question.. It comes down to tuning and not getting boost happy until you can fortify the engine

Well there a nice little honda o2 sensor that is able to process the information it gets into more than lean/rich... Thats the wideband o2 sensor similar to the ones used on dyno machines.. check out http://www.diy-wb.com (it will explain it more)

pearlwhiteTSI does work at Pro-drag

scooby_dooby
February 25th, 2003, 08:35 PM
hey prophet, i just finished checking out your page, looks like you've got some great plans for your car.

I agree with you about most of the local tunershops here being a joke, it's like you can;t get anything for a semi-reasonable price, everyone is out to gouge the hell outta us. Calgary's definately got much better tunershops.

I've noted the bodykit, and if I ever see you we may have to race! Sedan vs. Sedan, no Turbo's allowed though! I'll be a little tougher than buddies SI...

http://www.shawnblais.com/newcar/images/red_side.jpg

http://www.shawnblais.com/wayne2.jpg B)

prophet_ca
February 25th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Domestic grocery getter Sedan vs. Shiny Intergra Sedan

Lol... the race of the century :D

scooby_dooby
February 25th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by prophet_ca@Feb 25 2003, 06:16 PM
pearlwhiteTSI does work at Pro-drag
is that AKA Zippy's Auto?

I recoginized that "Speed costs money" line, he'd told me the exact same thing when I enquired about building me a Turbo set-up, 6g's he said.

As far as it lasting, I would only run like 6-8lbs of boost, and with proper fuel management with the block guard to reinforce my block, I've heard that set-up is fairly reliable.

I would like to get an Intercooler, but considering I'd need to get a 92-93 Teg bumper, then you have the cost of the IC, and install is also more work with an IC.

What would be side-effects of running 6-8lbs without an intercooler, from what I've heard it should be fairly OK.

prophet_ca
February 25th, 2003, 08:58 PM
is that AKA Zippy's Auto?
Yep!

personally I wouldnt run more than 5psi non-intercooled on my neon (but we all know neons have the strongest rods in the world ;) )... You could run 6-8psi with the proper tuning, It all comes down to the tuning... You would also get more hp and less detonation with a intercooler... you don't need a front mount one, to get the benefits of a intercooler (get a side mount one), then you will not have to get a new bumper

6g's seems a little high especially for a honda/acura, parts are so abundant for your cars.. I would say 2-3gs for a system that can 5-8psi strongly...

check these guys out... http://www.homemadeturbo.com it will give you an idea of what is needed to have a halfdecent homemade turbosystem for a honda

Blaine B.
February 25th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by scooby_dooby@Feb 25 2003, 05:10 PM

here's a post from another forum, tell my why no-body is sharing the hookups here in E-town, all prices are in american but it works out to about $2000 canadian. BTW This is a only a mild set-up meant for only 6-8lbs.

That list isn't totally unreasonable, due to the fact that they are MOSTLY USED parts.
A turbo kit sold by a reputable shop would contain no used parts.
A valid point was brought up by Prophet, you CAN build a kit for less, but how long will it last?
In my experience, people are left wanting more when they opt for a non IC turbo system.
Good luck with your setup. :bigthumbup:

prophet_ca
February 25th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by PearlyWhiteTSI@Feb 25 2003, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by scooby_dooby@Feb 25 2003, 05:10 PM

That list isn't totally unreasonable, due to the fact that they are MOSTLY USED parts.
A turbo kit sold by a reputable shop would contain no used parts.
A valid point was brought up by Prophet, you CAN build a kit for less, but how long will it last?
In my experience, people are left wanting more when they opt for a non IC turbo system.
Good luck with your setup. :bigthumbup:
Like i said before

GO WITH THE NITROUS, PIECING TOGETHER A TURBO KIT IS ONLY CHEAP IF YOU BUY THE PARTS USED, OR GET REALLY GOOD DEALS ON NEW PARTS

If i would have bought all new pieces... boy would i be deadly broke.... :( , but who knows one of these use parts will probably be the downfall of the all system...

*quickly knocks on wood*

scooby_dooby
February 25th, 2003, 11:22 PM
I'm pretty sure I can't use a side mount intercooler just because there's no room in my engine bay. I'll ask around though,

PearlyWhiteTSI, if I got together all the parts how much would you guys charge to install it? Would it be easier/cheaper if I left all the piping up to you, or if I found out the exact pieces I need and order them myself?

dogstar
February 26th, 2003, 03:00 AM
from what ive learned, frankensteined cars work like frankenstein monsters, kinda funny and a bit odd.

a kit is a bunch of new parts, proven to work together, with a warrantee and tech support, which are all good things.
if your willing to compromise on buying used parts, and have the knowledge to bash something together, turbos arent hard to do, hell, a lot of places will knock together an intake manifold adapter for 50-100 bucks, which will get you started bolting parts on.

then again, if you arent too sure what your doing, id say get a kit, and install it yourself with a good likelyhood of it working right off the bat.

Blaine B.
February 26th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by scooby_dooby@Feb 25 2003, 10:22 PM
I'm pretty sure I can't use a side mount intercooler just because there's no room in my engine bay. I'll ask around though,

PearlyWhiteTSI, if I got together all the parts how much would you guys charge to install it? Would it be easier/cheaper if I left all the piping up to you, or if I found out the exact pieces I need and order them myself?
That depends on the application. We'd have to see the car and the parts you've gathered together.
We can't quote on a job that involves a car and pile of parts we haven't seen.
Shop rate is $80/Hour on customer supplied parts and $65/Hour on shop supplied parts.
Feel free to give me a call and set up a time to swing by so the tech's can look at the car and parts.

scooby_dooby
February 26th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Well I'm not looking for a solid quote, but more of a ball-park or average install price. I'm still not sure whether I want to build NA style, or go turbo, so I'm trying to get a feel for what the total project will cost me.

Your shop rates are very reasonable though.

My car is a 1990 Acura Integra GS Sedan, No AC.

Say I bring that in, with my Turbo, MAnifold, BOV, FMU, missing link, Fuel Pump, Guages, FPR, Injectors and Block Guard. I would buy all piping, oil lines, and hoses from you. I also have an AEM CAI that can be used as a pipe.

Again just looking for a ballpark before I start spending my dough, even just the average time it take's you to do an install on a Teg.

If I decide Turbo is too much, with too many headaches involved then I'll go NA. Do you guys sell aftermarket parts like Crower and Skunk2?

Maybe you can give me a quote on the following:

- Skunk2 IM
- DC Sports 4-2-1 Header
- AEM CAI
- Crower 404's + springs (No Retainers needed)

and assuming I buy all parts off you, Install as well.

thx bro

Blaine B.
February 26th, 2003, 11:32 PM
We do sell Crower and Skunk2.
If you can, PM me this message so I can easily refer to it and reply to it, as it is sometimes hard to find a thread to reply to with a quote

Loose
February 27th, 2003, 09:04 AM
This looks like a shop's nightmare to me. A guy bringing a pile of used parts and wanting you to throw it all together on his car.

Dirty_SOHC
March 1st, 2003, 12:41 PM
I have been building my kit for quite awhile and I'm on the verge of completing this week. It isnt as hard to put together your self if you research it.In the end you will have greater sastisfaction in the end that you have built your own kit then buying it.

here's my part list

custom manifold.
t-3 tubo with a t-4 upgrade for this summer
custom down pipe.
40mm racegate style wastegate
custom intercooler piping
mini spearco bar and plate intercooler
HKS ss BOV
440cc RC injectors
AEM 1:1 fuel regulator
Standalone ECU
steel braided oil lines, and fittings.
manifold gasket
ACT clutch

prophet_ca
March 1st, 2003, 08:04 PM
here's my part list

custom manifold.
t-3 tubo with a t-4 upgrade for this summer
custom down pipe.
40mm racegate style wastegate
custom intercooler piping
mini spearco bar and plate intercooler
HKS ss BOV
440cc RC injectors
AEM 1:1 fuel regulator
Standalone ECU
steel braided oil lines, and fittings.
manifold gasket
ACT clutch

Nice set up... I wish i could go standalone, but sadly i don't have 1500 to spend.. which standalone system you goint with?