PDA

View Full Version : No more tint on driver and passenger window!

Wookey
February 25th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Well yesterday i got double teamed by the cops. I was coming home from Camrose and a cop passes me and i look at him as he passes me and i see him get on the radio, at this point i was just like, awww shit....... But he didn't turn around so i was like ok whatever... 4 KM's down the road a cop is on the side of the road and i pass him and then he puts on the lights and pulls me over. He told me i couldn't have tint on my drivers window and said that if i didn't have it off in 10 days he would write me a ticket and impound my car... So i left without a ticket but took off the tint when i got home... But the only problem is how the hell do you get that glue stuff of the window..... the tints all off just that weird glue stuff isn't. anyone got any idea's?

Thanks
The Wook B)

1mns13
February 25th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Use an alcohol based cleaner or if you're in a shop use varsol.

Wookey
February 25th, 2003, 11:35 AM
k, so i guess i am gonna take off my door panel then if i am using alcohol or varsol, i just dont wanna wreck the leather :D and i gotta fix the window motor anywase while its off. heh... anywase thanks.

If anyone has an easier way to take this shiat off tell me or i am gonna do it this way!

Thanks
The Wook B)

dogstar
February 25th, 2003, 11:50 AM
rubbing alcohol and careful use of a razor blade or steel wool was how we did it when i was detailing for londonderry chrysler

Kato
February 26th, 2003, 01:20 AM
Do a search on , this site (http://www.tintdude.com/), they got a bunch of faq's on this sort of thing.

schlong8
February 26th, 2003, 01:24 AM
Wow, your lucky. I was forced to take off the tint on the ROAD!

As for getting the glue off, i used Lacquer thinner on a cloth, then a razor to scrap off the stuff. Just soak a portion of the cloth in the thinner, place it on the glue and let it soak in for a few minutes, then razor it off.

c

ChromeDragon
February 26th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Full strength acetone works great!

redbaron303
February 26th, 2003, 08:27 AM
That sucks Chad.... Get Eric to retint them, but a little lighter...

Cyanide Ride
February 26th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Acetone is great, providing you don't get it on aything else :)

Do this, works for me everytime:

Get a razor blade, have a good chamois with lots of soapy water
Wipe area down with shammy and soapy water
Let sit for 10 seconds, then go crazy with the razor blade, it should come off like snot.
If it gets too difficult to scrape, wipe again with soapy watered chamois.

The soapy water lubricates the razor blade across the glass and is much safer than dealing with caustic chemicals or anything like than. Soapy water is easier to clean up than Acetone.

If this don't work, pm me and we'll hook-up, I'll help you out.

SlowAzzPorsche911T
February 26th, 2003, 10:33 AM
wookeys... if you really like tint on those windows just get em dipped and call it factory.. sure it's pricey but some older cars could've come with that package hell my porsche was built in germany and came factory direct with a full tint kit *cough* bullshit.. but how would they know?

andystar
March 4th, 2003, 04:29 AM
i had the same thing.

in order to get my gunk off, i just sprayed with windex, left it to sit for 10 minutes, sprayed it again, left it for a couple minutes, then wiped it off with a shop rag. It came off pretty easy too, and it's windex, so it's not toxic and won't eat your interior