PDA

View Full Version : NOS

siopao
August 6th, 2001, 11:54 AM
just out of curiousity, does anyone here carry NOS... i highly doubt it.. is it even legal here in canada?

test
August 7th, 2001, 10:25 AM
A friend of mine had nitrous in his B16a 5th gen Si,

With slicks he did mid 13 sec run. I believe this was on a 70-80 HP shot. Personally I don't like nitrous, I hear it costs &#3660 to fill up a tank that can do about 10 runs, that means each time you turn it on it costs &#366!

I believe it is not ilegal to own, but becasue of insurance reasons (no insurance company will insure you) it is "illegal" - or will void your insurance if you get into an accident!

seven
August 10th, 2001, 10:09 AM
ya, you can get NOS here. *NOS bottles come in different sizes so the cost for filling a bottle varies... and so does the number of runs you can do on a bottle. *GAPS, what size bottle are you thinking of? *i'm guessing a 10 lbs bottle for &#3650-&#3660. *sound about right?

REFLUX
August 11th, 2001, 01:49 AM
yea iknow u can BUY NOS, so i'm guessin cuz it's sellable it is not illegal
but i dont know bout the insurance thing...

test
August 11th, 2001, 06:30 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from seven on 10http://www.asianet.ca/images/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif9 am on Aug. 10, 2001
ya, you can get NOS here. *NOS bottles come in different sizes so the cost for filling a bottle varies... and so does the number of runs you can do on a bottle. *GAPS, what size bottle are you thinking of? *i'm guessing a 10 lbs bottle for &#3650-&#3660. *sound about right?
[/b][/quote]

Its the standard bottle size you get with a kit, I belive 10lbs sounds right. So what is the difference between wet and dry?

seven
August 12th, 2001, 01:37 AM
you can get different kits for Hondas with 10 lbs, 15 lbs, 20 lbs, etc. bottle sizes.

a dry system uses the stock fuel injectors to deliver nitrous to the motor. *dry systems usually spray nitrous under wide open throttle.

a wet system uses dedicated additional injector(s) to deliver nitrous into the intake tract. *wet systems vary the amount of nitrous delivery depending on throttle/load conditions.

thats a pretty generalized explanation of the difference.

btw, NOS stands for Nitrous Oxide Systems. *that's a company name... NOS isn't a generic name for nitrous. *but i'd bet the company would want us all to use their name. *if you've seen the movie Fast and the Furious you'll know what i mean... it's like a 2 hour NOS ad.

anyone here running nitrous?

REFLUX
August 12th, 2001, 01:51 AM
well NOS is pretty much the same (used the same) as Kleenex
or Xerox

Alpha Gangsta
August 12th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Its about &#3610 a lb to refill your bottle. Bigger the bottle, the more the the cost. I'd liek to add N2O to my car but thats the last step. A lot of people like to use NOS(Fast and Furious) but I've been hearing alot of good thigs from ZEX. Its a real easy kit to install and performas quite well. They also have a device that allows you to open your bottle while driving instead of having to go to the trunk just to turn the nozzle. very convenient for street racers.

seven
August 13th, 2001, 12:52 AM
i think NOS also has a remote switch to open the bottle. *i totally agree with ya... you gotta have that switch.

EG6 SiRII
August 13th, 2001, 03:36 AM
ALLL MOTOR is the way to go!
more reliable in the long term.
especially when you go road racing at the track.

test
August 13th, 2001, 03:43 PM
Now that we know what they are, which is better, wet or dry?

CRXguy
August 14th, 2001, 11:13 AM
I don't have NOS and will never use it. I consider it a method of "cheating."

It's all about making reliable power.

icon
August 14th, 2001, 01:25 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from CRXguy on 11:13 am on Aug. 14, 2001
I don't have NOS and will never use it. I consider it a method of "cheating."

It's all about making reliable power.

[/b][/quote]

I don't see how Nitrous is unreliable. I know people who've made hundreds of passes with nitrous with no problems. Like any upgrade, you have to be careful with what you are doing.

seven
August 14th, 2001, 02:05 PM
i agree. *nitrous can be as reliable as the other power adder options (supercharging, turbo, etc.).

just like with any other setup--if you know what you are doing (and are careful about it) you can make good, reliable power.

as for which system is better, dry or wet... it depends on what you want... a simple system that will add a few extra horses or a mega power setup with extra complexity and cost? *that's not to say you can't make good power with a dry system but if you're looking to add 150 hp, or something like that, then you're probably gonna need to run a wet system.

test
August 14th, 2001, 11:01 PM
So I take it wet is safer? Then why even consider dry?

REFLUX
August 14th, 2001, 11:38 PM
w/ dry the installation is way easier
less engine work & it's easier to uninstall/replace wtvr
i bet a wet system costs more too so if ur only goin for a 60 shot NOS y spend extra money?
unless u plan on boostin up 2 100+ shots

seven
August 15th, 2001, 11:43 AM
wet isn't really safer than dry... you have to be careful running either system. *just as an example, if you run crappy gas in either setup you'll probably end up doing some damage to the motor.

like REFLUX pointed out, dry systems are simpler and cheaper. *but they are kinda limited to lower horsepower applications. *a wet system can support bigger shots of nitrous. *usually a wet kit will use extra injectors and mounting hardware so they're more work to install...*especially if you go with a custom setup. *that means placement of the new injectors and how they will affect air/nitrous/fuel mixture and atomization are considerations.

GAPS, are you thinking of getting a nitrous kit? *or maybe you already run one?

REFLUX
August 15th, 2001, 12:51 PM
& GAPS, if ur talkin bout gettin some NOS
wat company r u goin w/?
Zex, NOS, Venom?
cuz i hear Zex systems r just as good as NOS systems
course that's only wat i hear...can't always believe everything u hear...

CYA
August 22nd, 2001, 09:53 AM
to to make sure people don't go thinking the wrong thing dry nitrous systems spray only nitrous.

whereas wet systems spray a mixture of nitrous and fuel.

wet is safer in terms of even cylinder to cylinder distribution of nitrous.

see if you have a dry system then you might run one nitrous jet at the throttle body. it's now up to the air flow characteristics of your induction system to distribute that nitrous to each combustion chamber. unless you have a horseshoe stuck up your @ss this isn't going to be completely even. unless you've had good quality professional port work done... but still... it's not likely to be even.

so what does that mean? well the cylinders will now have a different air / fuel ratio. so one cylinder maybe running say a 12.5 : 1 a/f ratio while the next runs a 13:1 a/f ratio. anyway... the point is that one cylinder might be able to produce more power but the overall engine is limited to that one cylinder which is running lean.

with a wet system you will have fogger nozzles which are plumbed directly in each cylinders intake tract. each nozzle will deliver it's own shot of nitrous to each cylinder creating a much more even distribution of nitrous. so now you can run each cylinder to it's potential while keeping the air / fuel mixture happy which means no detenation and a motor that lasts.

as for the nitrous as a form of cheating... lol. not. why isn't a turbo cheating then? why isn't a supercharger cheating? all three do the same thing. they introduce more oxygen into the combustion chamber.

if you were to hide the fact that you run a power adder and tell people you're n/a then yes... you're in my opinion cheating.

but with n/a the person can also say yeah... it's stock compression (for example 10:1) but really it's 11.5:1. that in my opinion is cheating as well. and how the #### would the average joe on the street know the person is lying about the compression?

gaps... who are you? you're talking about kev's civic aren't you?

oh yeah... i keep hearing all these people talking about zex nitrous systems. i'm not saying their products are bad but the reason why the people in e-town are hearing lots about zex is because JB's pretty much has a monopoly going in the performance market. and what do you know?? they sell zex! coincidence? i think not. just ask yourself this... do you see zex in the NHRA? IHRA? NIRA?

cya

Swifty
September 24th, 2001, 11:14 PM
I've got NOS...it's fun stuff...but nowhere near as cool as they make it seem on The Fast and the Furious.....whatever setup you decide to run make sure your Fuel and ignition system is in near new condition...B/C if either one of these fail it's gonna make a real mess.

Chris Seto
October 15th, 2001, 05:17 PM
I like the NOS for spooling my turbo.
I use a MSD window switch that only allows NOS between 4500 and 7000 RPM to prevent me from
lugging the engine and killing it and to prevent me from hitting my rev limiter on it which will give you a Manifold back fire and kill your engine.To prevent me from running big boost and NOS at the same time I put a pressure switch in that kills the nos
at 15 PSI.
So what I get is a system that only allows NOS between 4500 and 7000 RPM's and only under 15 PSI.
GOOD for spooling that beast of a turbo until my new engine is built. With the new one the pressure switch will be by passed.NOS all the time in a safe RPM zone.
If anyone needs advice I'm willing to share my research and experience with them and part sourcing.
Please click my WEB icon to see it.