PDA

View Full Version : K & N air filters

blk240sx
March 13th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Well i was just looking into buying a k&n air finter fo rmy car. i Went to jb's power centre and they wre like $89.00 . i had no ida they wree so expensive ................ARE THEY EVEN WORTH IT ?..............neone know anywhere i can gte one cheper.?

Focus Guy
March 13th, 2003, 10:28 PM
The filter is worth it, they don't filter quite as good as the stock filters but do a nice job of letting better air flow.

redbaron303
March 13th, 2003, 10:45 PM
I have one on my Nissan, seems good... but it came that way so I have no comparison!

Spike7ss
March 13th, 2003, 10:50 PM
I put one on my 350 and there is little difference, but i find that i pays for itself the longer you have it, ive heard of people cleaning them once a year, and they are supposed to last a lifetime, so when you consider how much a stock filter is, it seems to be worth it. I have heard a dirty K&N is better than a clean one? am i hearing stories, or is this a fact?

SRBURG13
March 13th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Is this a cone filter? If not, invest in a cone filter. Whatever name it will be. Forget that Airbox shit. Pull that out, and the box in the fender. With a cone, you will notice a world of different engine noise. Sounds great. I have no idea about the power adding thing, but if you wanna hear that it give you 30hp, then it does :D

uncle ben
March 13th, 2003, 11:02 PM
It's not worth it. I doesent give you anymore power than a stock filter, yeah you can rewash it, but it takes an hour, you never know when to wash it, and if you screw up washing it, you can make it ineffective, letting your engine breath dirty air. It's not worth the 90 bucks. If you want a rewashable filter than buy a big cone filter and make yourselfe or buy a cheap intake. Just my 2 cents

1mns13
March 14th, 2003, 01:05 AM
For power, it is a waste of money. I have a cold air intake I made that I can sell you that does make power, or you can any other one on the market. Adding an open element filter in the engine by will create noise but no appreciable power.

blk240sx
March 14th, 2003, 03:33 AM
ho wmuch do u want 4 it and is it the same set up an lets say in injen one or what we should meet up sometime u live southside or what

ChromeDragon
March 14th, 2003, 03:53 AM
A dirty air filter will work better than a brand new clean filter to a point. Because there are particles being trapped in the filter they are making smaller and smaller spaces for other particles to get through. Most filters are effective down to a few microns now so it's not a huge issue unless you're driving in a really dusty climate or the Paris Dakar Rally. Just remember boys and girls, it only takes one teaspoon of dust to destroy your engine, do you want to take a chance with an inferior filter?

Chromey

prophet_ca
March 14th, 2003, 07:51 AM
I paided 150 for mine, K&N have been around they are good filters...

MightyMidget
March 14th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by prophet_ca@Mar 14 2003, 06:51 AM
I paided 150 for mine, K&N have been around they are good filters...
i agree.....I have one and have had no problems.....

when you clean and reoil the k&n just make sure that you do NOT over oil it....this may effect and O2 sensors by the oil clogging them up......

GTS Jeff
March 14th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by 1mns13@Mar 13 2003, 11:05 PM
For power, it is a waste of money. I have a cold air intake I made that I can sell you that does make power, or you can any other one on the market. Adding an open element filter in the engine by will create noise but no appreciable power.
i think an open element intake has made a noticeable difference in my case. the stock airbox and tubing was extremely restrictive to say the least...

it also makes the engine sound a lot nicer :)

CanadianR
March 14th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R@Mar 14 2003, 09:49 AM

i think an open element intake has made a noticeable difference in my case. the stock airbox and tubing was extremely restrictive to say the least...

Do you drive a type R? I'm just curious because of your name, but that doesn't necessarily mean you drive an R. What kind of intake did you put on( short ram or CAI), or was it just an open element filter? Is the noticeable difference a dyno result or just the "butt dyno"?

Genki
March 14th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R@Mar 14 2003, 10:49 AM
it also makes the engine sound a lot nicer :)
i've done the same. It sounds a lot meaner now :P

FingerPuppet
March 14th, 2003, 03:49 PM
K&N does increase power but not by much, if you want a demo just go to partsource and they usually have displays to show you the diff in airflow.
In my opinion, though they arn't worth is price wise.

SlowAzzPorsche911T
March 14th, 2003, 04:01 PM
the K&N Air Filter is the best h.p/$$$ ratio out of any other bolt-on part... next is headers and then nitrous I believe...

blk240sx
March 15th, 2003, 01:30 AM
dude everything is a bolt on part , do u glue your turbo in JUST JOKIN i see what your sayin

RezaREX
March 15th, 2003, 02:13 AM
Best HP/$$$?..................HAHAHAHA!!!! Sorry lol. I'm not sure about other cars but on the WRX there are dyno-proven results that a K&N OR a Cold Air Intake actually produce a loss of 0-3 HP.

MightyMidget
March 15th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by RezaREX@Mar 15 2003, 01:13 AM
Best HP/$$$?..................HAHAHAHA!!!! Sorry lol. I'm not sure about other cars but on the WRX there are dyno-proven results that a K&N OR a Cold Air Intake actually produce a loss of 0-3 HP.
thats just because it a POS subaru :P

redbaron303
March 15th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by schlong69@Mar 15 2003, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by RezaREX@Mar 15 2003, 01:13 AM
thats just because it a POS subaru :P

Geeze Christian... buy a "real" car, then let us know what you think :P

j/k ----> Christian, you know I'm just playin..... I'll remind you about your car when I see you later... hahahahahha :)

RezaREX
March 15th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Hey Schlong ummmmm You do know you have well over 5000 posts on the Subaru board right?? I might have to link this thread over there :o haha. Anyways at least I didn't get the Australian version of the Impreza :P JK.

redbaron: REAL car?? Alright thats it. You - Me, Auto-x, and 5 bucks says I make you my bitch :bigthumbup: HAHA.

redbaron303
March 15th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by RezaREX@Mar 15 2003, 09:39 AM
Hey Schlong ummmmm You do know you have well over 5000 posts on the Subaru board right?? I might have to link this thread over there :o haha. Anyways at least I didn't get the Australian version of the Impreza :P JK.

redbaron: REAL car?? Alright thats it. You - Me, Auto-x, and 5 bucks says I make you my bitch :bigthumbup: HAHA.
Damn man... you're such a high roller! $5.00.... you, me, drag, your mom.... hahah :) I bet she'll suck in harder than that K&N that's on my ride... haha!

Christian... just whore it up some more... we'll not distroy this thread, take it to msn.. haha!

Schlon - OMG, we've found a new post whore unfortunatly on another forum :(

MightyMidget
March 16th, 2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by RezaREX@Mar 15 2003, 10:39 AM
Hey Schlong ummmmm You do know you have well over 5000 posts on the Subaru board right?? I might have to link this thread over there :o haha. Anyways at least I didn't get the Australian version of the Impreza :P JK
WHAT....I dont have anything REMOTELY CLOSE to 5000 posts....I only have like 700-800 posts.....dood what are you smoking?? oh thats right.....CAck :lol: :moon: and just wait until next year when my S/C ausy version of the impreza kicks your little ars!!!!

TyPhOOnSliPPerY
March 19th, 2003, 08:53 AM
buy one from ebay ..... or else get a cold air intake for sure ......everything is cheaper on ebay or from a 240 forumn somewhere