PDA

View Full Version : how much for a mini-me swap?

dmak_el
March 24th, 2003, 08:00 PM
how much is it for a honda sohc engine?...
did anyone done this b4? and any good place?

Kato
March 24th, 2003, 08:19 PM
I thought about attempting this but I opted to go b16 instead. A lot less complicated. How much is going to depend on who you go to for the vtec head and all of the other parts. I had worked it out to be around half of what my b16 was going to cost in the end.

Look here how to do it. (http://www.geocities.com/chipman_13/mini-me-parts.html)

crxcel
March 24th, 2003, 09:39 PM
How much did you pay for a B16 cuz a mini me should be way less than half the overall cost a b16

Kato
March 24th, 2003, 10:37 PM
I figured the mini would cost around 1500 to 2000 all in. That's the z6 head, manifold, ECU, vtec controller, misc.

My b16 for the engine alone was 1500 and after all is said and done, I have estimated around 4500.

This is with me doing all the labour.

Almost
March 24th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Kato's dead on as usual. We've both researched this for days and days.

B16a is more expensive, but seems to have a lot less headaches involved.......

unless of course you decide to add every single bolt on part you can before you drop it in...... :)

The Mini-me does have it's advantages though.

crxcel
March 24th, 2003, 11:24 PM
use a rpm switch, and or vtec controller and stock si ecu and away you go. And the Z6 head of course. If you use the Y8 head then the distributor is supposed to bolt right up as well eith no mods. I guess if I had the extra cash i would go b16 also, just because alot more power. But minime is a good cheap alternative.

Almost
March 24th, 2003, 11:37 PM
And it's got a way cooler name too.

Kato
March 25th, 2003, 12:39 AM
I really wanted to go mini-me, ~130 to 140 whp from a sohc VTEC engine would be cool. It just takes a lot of knowledge on engine management, which I don't have right now, to tune it right.

dmak_el
March 25th, 2003, 06:27 PM
do u guys think it would be easier and cheaper to buy the whole sohc vtec engine, and change it in?

...um.....i did think about putting a B16 or 18 in it, but then i will not have money to put turbo. coz if i turbo a D16, i can have money to build the engine.
but if i turbo a b16 or b18, i don't have much to build the engine.....

Kato
March 26th, 2003, 01:01 AM
The thing about doing a mini-me swap is that it's an extremely high compression engine afterwards. It's up with the B18c5, ~11.0:1. Not the most boost friendly compression engine. If you want to go turbo, i'd suggest a ZC swap, the integra non-vtec engine. That's a boost friendly motor. It will also cost you about the same in the end for the mini-me. Just not as much HP right out of the shop until you boost it.

Kato
March 26th, 2003, 03:44 AM
I have heard of people, not many, going turbo on their mini-me. I don't recommend it unless you have an inside and out understanding and knowledge of engine management. You have to be able to get the fuel/air/ignition timing/cam timing/etc. correct for this to not blow up on you even with a mild boost. Also, the gas in Edmonton isn't the best at 91 Octane. It's good enough for the mini-me but not on boost.

Whatever you decide, can I be there to help? I'm always willing to learn new things and get in the way. :D

Almost
March 26th, 2003, 10:03 AM
boosting a mini-me? Hey go for it, it can be done. I'd never attempt it, but then again lots of people won't try the b16 swap....

I refuse to listen to my own common sense, so why listen to others?

You should do the same, it's what makes your car unique and original.

dmak_el
March 26th, 2003, 07:59 PM
..ic...ok...i will think about what should i do

but thx for the reply everyone

brbHPR
March 27th, 2003, 09:37 PM
I have a D16Z6 for sale.
New parts:
Honda OEM Integra piston oversized .050"
Honda OEM piston rings oversized .050"
Honda OEM wrist pins
Honda OEM rod bearings
Honda OEM main bearings
Honda OEM head gasket and timing belt
block has been hot tanked and bored out
water pump and oil pump are well within factory tolerances
$1500
does not come with distributor or ecu. Those can be had for ecu:$200 distributor:$100 though the wiring has to be converted to obd1. The obd0 si ecu can be used but the distributor and intake manifold must also be used, and the distributor has to be modified. The engine has a 12:1 compression ratio and must be fed a minimum of 91 octane. ignition timing must also be retarded. This will be a great all-motor project. msg me back if you are interested.

Kato
March 28th, 2003, 01:38 AM
umm...I paid less than $1500 for my b16a1. I realize that there are a lot of new parts on it but for a mini-me, all he'll need is the head, intake manifold (optional), ECU (P28) (optional), and a few misc. parts like hoses and whatnot.

If you do choose to go this route, here's a write-up on how to get that bad boy into your car.

d16z6 into 88-91 Civic/CRX (http://resource.crx.org/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=39)

Here's a thread on someone who's gone the rout of swapping in the d16z6 as a whole (http://resource.crx.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8696)