FirstGear

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thermostat vs restrictor plate

Default thermostat vs restrictor plate

edit: nevermind.

Hey there. Anyone running a restrictor plate vs a thermostat in their street car/daily ? I'm curious what the pros/cons of a restrictor plate vs a thermostat are. I realize that removing the thermostat would likely cause the car to not warm up as quickly, but that's not an issue for me. Other than that, whats the pros/cons of a restrictor plate vs thermostat?
    Last edited by bowtie; June 2nd, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
    780 tuners at its best right here

2. Default

Restrictor plates are fine but they really only work in one type of conditions as they wont modulate coolant flow/temp.

Why are you thinking of removing the thermostat to run a plate?

-the faster you go
    -the longer you live

Well, I'm considering doing it to see how much it would lower my engine tempertures. Having the heater working isn't that important to me, and I don't care that much how quickly the car warms up. I just want to see how much cooler the car is going to run without the thermostat. Call it an experiment. Right now, after driving for about an hour I can noticeably feel the heat of the engine inside the cabin. Running a little cooler would be nice. Also, I don't have a cold air kit right now and my manifold is getting super hot. Either way, that's all aside. I'm just wondering what people's experiences running restrictor plates instead of thermostats are.

You can drill some holes in the thermostat.

There is an optimum engine operating temperature. Above and below are both bad. If your car is running hot, find the source of the problem. Running the car cooler just for fun makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    There is an optimum engine operating temperature. Above and below are both bad. If your car is running hot, find the source of the problem. Running the car cooler just for fun makes no sense.
    Yes. You will actually lose power driving at below operating temperature. Also hard on fuel economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged GT View Post
    IMO it is getting a bit ridiculous out there with these laws, maybe the EPS quota for the year is a bit high and they are pulling all the stunts. Pretty soon you will not be able to fart in your own back yard because it will be distracting to drivers in front of your house.

mot bot: that's exactly what I will do. I'm going to keep the normal thermostat but drill out the bypass holes. i read more about it (on the internet!) and it seems to be the simplest solution. thanks

how will I lose power? fuel puddling? oil being too cold?

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie View Post
    mot bot: that's exactly what I will do. I'm going to keep the normal thermostat but drill out the bypass holes. i read more about it (on the internet!) and it seems to be the simplest solution. thanks

how will I lose power? fuel puddling? oil being too cold?
    no problem , but yeah being at optimal temperature is definitely best.

Less than optimal heat in the cylinder equates to less power. Engines require a certain amount of heat to operate efficiently, that's why thermostats were invented to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged GT View Post
    IMO it is getting a bit ridiculous out there with these laws, maybe the EPS quota for the year is a bit high and they are pulling all the stunts. Pretty soon you will not be able to fart in your own back yard because it will be distracting to drivers in front of your house.