STATUS2

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aftermarket heated steering wheel?

Default aftermarket heated steering wheel?

are there any stores or shops that do this?

Sadly my audi doesnt do this, and yes I know I can wear a pair of gloves.

anyways it was just a thought as I test drove a 3 series and really liked the feature.

I saw one on canadiantire's website however it received really bad reviews and I would be looking for something similar to OEM and not just a basic add-on.

Thanks.

Simon

i would imagine the best way to do this is to get a oem heated steering wheel that works for your car and doesnt look retarded in your car and wire it up to a switch.

probably looking at easily $500 for this i'd imagine. the wildcard could be if u want an airbag to work or not, as a wheel from a different car may not be compatible for that feature.

I wish they would make a heated shift knob.

As soon as I saw the topic "heated steering wheel", the one and only thought that came into my head was "Made in China" and then I had visions of cars burning to the ground, steering wheel first..................*shudder*
    Programmers are machines that turn caffeine into software

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    i would imagine the best way to do this is to get a oem heated steering wheel that works for your car and doesnt look retarded in your car and wire it up to a switch.

probably looking at easily $500 for this i'd imagine. the wildcard could be if u want an airbag to work or not, as a wheel from a different car may not be compatible for that feature.

Id think that would be a low quote. Cheapest option, trade in the Audi and get the BMW?

haha the audi is a 2011 so i dont think that is an option.
    besides im not a fan of the beamer interiors.. the drive is great! but the interior is a little bland for my liking.

2011..... ya have fun. i predict you aren't going to do it.

you have 2 options:

one is to modify your current wheel (if possible), which i understand the basics of it, but do not think its feasible to do properly, and you probably will not get enough heat out of it to make it worth it because you can not run a very big wire through your wheel, if you can even run an extra wire (may be no space left). check an audi forum, i'm sure this has been discussed on there before.

the other is to get a wheel from another vehicle. you can find an old A8 wheel from like 2000, or an allroad from 2002ish, or 2000ish a6 (some years had heated wheels, some didn't, but i know those 3 models had heated wheels around that era) and i figured you had an older audi so that probably woulda been in the 500 range since those wheels aren't too hard to find 'cheap'.

recent stuff is going to be limited to high end stuff like q7s, a8s, maybe a6s have it again. q5 might? those cars are rare to find parts off of, and i still think you may have issues with the airbag, and other wheel mounted controls working properly (german wiring FTL). if you want a wheel that looks proper in your vehicle, i'm going to ballpark 2g, and you'll still need custom wiring as i doubt (its possible) its semi plug and play with stuff from other models.

i wouldn't do it personally. screwing with the electrics of a new car thats $$$ thats known to have nightmare electrical issues and voiding the warranty on said electrics does not sound its worth it for some very minor feature. wear gloves.

thanks Zhao

Ya it was just a thought. the heated steering wheel wasnt a deal breaker for me. I just thought if it was an option somewhere for not too much money I would consider it.

Cheers and thanks for the info!

Definitely talk to ziebart. I believe they can do this.