Garage 104

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: building a deck

Thanks

Default building a deck

So me and the g/f bought our house last year and took posession in august. This summer we plan to get the deck, fence, and landscaping done. we are also finnishing the basement but thats a good winter project for me so it can wait.

pics!

Totem shows up with $7200 worth of lumber.

they drop it off on the driveway so we had to handbomb it all into the back yard!

the house was built with a 2x10 ledger board on the half with the patio doors.
    we ripped that one off and lag bolted a 2x12 on that half and then took apart the siding on the other half and added another 2x12 ledger board and lag bolted that as well.

the side boards are just so we could get an idea of how large the deck is.
    the screw pilings are being done on tuedsay as well as the rest of the fence post holes.
    **NOTE** i dont recommend anyone using a 2 man augger to drill holes in leduc. there is really hard black clay about 6 inches down from the rough grade. so i decided to hire a pro with a bobcat attachment after attempting 5 with a friend and myself.

another note. Patio furniture you see is up for grabs.

i will update with more photo's as the deck progresses.
    Last edited by tibbymat; May 22nd, 2011 at 08:40 PM.
    "Epic" has lost all meaning. Thanks internet.

Thanks

7200???

Jon told me about your adventure with drilling the holes! I lol'd, then he lol'd, then we both lol'd at the same time!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrightWhite View Post
    7200???

Jon told me about your adventure with drilling the holes! I lol'd, then he lol'd, then we both lol'd at the same time!
    fuck that made me lol

yeah it was gruelling. and it didnt help that i hadnt eatten for like 20 hrs prior to the sun blazing stressful auger digging. i was about ready to pass out. All cedar decking and fencing. so it was a little pricy. but its gonna look killer!

but on the plus side, we fixed his "factory alarm problem" on the SER that day.
    Last edited by tibbymat; May 22nd, 2011 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks

your building your deck before final grade? or is that your final grade??

Thanks

Lol, nice!

So what size is this thing? I'm trying to figure out why your lumber bill is that high.

Thanks

Holy shit that seems expensive...

GL with everything! Should look good!

Obviously the high price comes from all the cedar. Any reason why you went with that over just pressure treated wood?

Jamie

Thanks

its 420sq ft. and i went with cedar instead of pressure treated becuase i LOVE the way cedar smells. and we are staining it with a natural stain so it is just going to bring out the grains and the color it looks absolutely amazing.

i was really close to going with TREX composite decking but it was 40% more expensive. but the 7200 also includes the fence. and we have 120 feet of fencing to to. and we also WAYYYY over engineered our deck. its not going to budge at all.

Thanks

Ah I see...forgot you said that included a fence as well. So all in all, that's not too bad.

Jamie

Thanks

Your deck is going to look awesome! i cant believe you hand carried all that wood to the back, that is crazy. Cant wait to see more pics.
    Thanks to The_Fuzz for the photo