Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: building a deck

HAHA. OK. I posted and didn't see your reply. That's a super fantastic explanation. And if your yard slopes up... That's pretty cool. Should hopefully work for you. Although it means when your snow melts every year, the runoff will be going under the deck. Which, in that case, I think screw piles totally make sense as well. I hear you on the cost, too, because when I got screw pile quotes it was quite surprising. 6-8 piles at $200 each... No thank you. I ended up doing concrete myself. It was $150 worth of materials, and a weekend worth of manual labour. But still, I did 8 piles for less than the cost of 1 screw pile. Could have probably got away with 6 piles, or only 3 (if I had used the ledger board) but then I would have been WAY above permit and railing height.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Yeah if I could get away with 2 piles then I would probably just buck up and pay for 2 vs renting an auger and equipment etc etc. At the cost of 6 screw piles though not a chance, I would rather pay my friend with a bobcat and auger to dig holes or I'll rent the auger myself and do it. I don't mind putting in the work but perhaps I have a little more planning to do here.

The yard slopes towards the house and down the left of my drawing. High point would be the outer right edge and it slopes down toward the house and to the left. With topsoil and sod though I'm still pretty certain I would finish with a surface under 24" to ground level though.

Almost tempted to consider using 2x8 and just going with 2 beams, attached to house, and putting pier blocks on 24x24 pads with gravel underneath. Use 4 pier blocks per beam and call it a day. Like I said it would just need to pass the wife inspection for safety. Easily adjusted too if needed

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    Thanks!
    Very prelim, first impressions.
    1.) 16' is long, but 16" spaced 2x12's might not sag... Might?
    2.) You'll have to use quite a few Hilti expanding anchors in that 2x8 to paste that 2x12 onto it.
    3.) It wouldn't hurt to triple that 2x12 between the piles.

I'll check my deck later on. It's tiny, iMO, and it's pin cushioned with piles beneath it and I think the beams between them are surprisingly robust.
    I was using the COE deck brochure as my guide, 2x12 joists at 16' can span 15'8" and the piles can span 13'10".

So it's within code but perhaps it's not ideal?

The thing that really is the make/break scenario for 2x12 framing is if it's possible to laminate that 2x12 onto the existing 2x8 and it be permissible

I've got a guy that does screw piles for just under $100 each. PM me and ill give you his number if you want.
    I also by my alias as Matt@SherwoodDodge.
    For all of your alignment needs......... Shoot me a message!!

Quote Originally Posted by cudakid View Post
    I've got a guy that does screw piles for just under $100 each. PM me and ill give you his number if you want.
    PM'd 10 char

Replied to your PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.