Garage 104

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: building a deck

Thanks

I still have rough grade under my deck.....

No problems....

I approve of this thread.

I love big decks, I also have one

Thanks

Am going to be building my deck this summer as well...

I've been told to get 8' piles instead of the 4' ones. But calling around and trying to get a quote, it seems that "8 feet" is an odd depth??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tibbymat View Post
    its 420sq ft. and i went with cedar instead of pressure treated becuase i LOVE the way cedar smells. and we are staining it with a natural stain so it is just going to bring out the grains and the color it looks absolutely amazing.

i was really close to going with TREX composite decking but it was 40% more expensive. but the 7200 also includes the fence. and we have 120 feet of fencing to to. and we also WAYYYY over engineered our deck. its not going to budge at all.

I've built a few fences & decks, and a free tip:

Avoid using cedar for the decking, cedar is a soft wood, and will be easily damaged by patio furniture. Cedar isn't used for framing for a reason.

I've never used screw piles, but have had excellent results with both the "big foot" and regular concrete pilings.

Thanks

After spending 7200 bucks on wood I think he is committed to the cedar at this point.

Thanks

lol.... the cedar isnt being used for the framing. that is all pressure treated. just the decking and railings are cedar as well as my fence which wont see any action to be damaged really.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboi View Post

I've been told to get 8' piles instead of the 4' ones. But calling around and trying to get a quote, it seems that "8 feet" is an odd depth??
    the frost line is 3 feet so most people will go just below that in Edmonton. But leduc requires you go 12 feet deep with concrete. This is why i went the way of engineered screw piles. a lot less work.
    "Epic" has lost all meaning. Thanks internet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tibbymat View Post
    lol.... the cedar isnt being used for the framing. that is all pressure treated. just the decking and railings are cedar as well as my fence which wont see any action to be damaged really.
    Yeah, understood; it was only an example to illustrate the "softness" of cedar. i.e. not the best decking material. And you probably don't wanna be "that guy" that tells people not to lean in their chairs, not to drag the chairs, take care with everything being moved, etc. Will you be using a section of the deck during winter? i.e. how well does cedar stand up to shoveling? All things you should consider. Whereas, T-rex is a bit more expensive, but much more durable. I've replaced cedar decking with t-rex, with excellent results.

Also, how much are you saving on the screw pilings + engineer's stamp, versus concrete.

Thanks

well i didnt really do the math on screw pilings vs. concrete. but leduc wants us to go 12 ft below grade for a deck. so if you do the math to mix concrete to fill 3 pilings 12 feet down vs. 200 dollars per screw piling. i think i saved big time. not sure on an exact number tho.

And i "damage proof" everything i own. if im worried about chairs scratching my deck i will put rubber feet on all my chairs and table so nothing does happen. And i looked at the trex decking in terms of scratch resistance and it still scratches quite easily. only difference is i can sand cedar and re stain it to remove the scratch. where i have to replace the trex if it gets sctarched.

I will not be using the deck at all in the winter but i will be doing snow removal from it wil a push broom.
    "Epic" has lost all meaning. Thanks internet.

Thanks

I built my 20x30 deck for 1800 bucks

Granted I got a sick deal on my wood, pressure treated framing, ceder decking.

They really arn't hard to build, just takes some time, and its nice to have buddies to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboi View Post

You just want to be below the frost line...which is 5ft roughly.... I put my piles 6 feet down.

Quote Originally Posted by S3V View Post
    I've built a few fences & decks, and a free tip:

Avoid using cedar for the decking, cedar is a soft wood, and will be easily damaged by patio furniture. Cedar isn't used for framing for a reason.

I've never used screw piles, but have had excellent results with both the "big foot" and regular concrete pilings.
    Yeah.... Cedar isnt used for framing. You use Cedar for decking. Its a naturally preserved wood. I drag my patio furniture on mine, and it doesnt scratch. Just make sure you have a good sealer on it.
    Last edited by ///AMGPWR; May 24th, 2011 at 08:19 AM.

C63 AMG - "This is just an axe-murderer with headlights... and I absolutely adore it." -Jeremy Clarkson

"Haters don't really hate you, they hate themselves cause you're a reflection of what they wish to be".

Thanks

Screw Piles

Three 8 foot piles installed in less than an hour.