Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EM1 Build

Default EM1 Build

So a customer stopped by with an EM1 that doesn't run and had been sitting for over a couple years. Discovered it had a snapped T-Belt. Valves were bent pistons had deep impact marks etc. On top of other problems with the car the customer decided they didn't want to keep it. I made an offer they accepted and took on the project, not being able to let a honda die. Turns out it has been a little more than I expected as well ha ha.

Luckily I have had a spare drive train sitting around for a while. I had assembled a JDM B16 Bottom End, JDM B16 LSD Tans, and USDM B18C1 GSR Head. I had the head decked and new Honda head gasket, installed Continental timing belt with water pump kit, and Exedy stage 2 clutch kit before I left it to sit for the right car. Unfortunately I didn't think to document swapping the motor because I didn't intend on it becoming a build.

This is what I started with

Looks pretty OEMish from the front, Has a little Driver Front Fender Damage at the headlight. Dent was filled with bondo and sprayed with black primer

This was the rear, again pretty stock save ugly tinted tails.

This is the motor after I swapped it in.

Day 1
    I did a lot of basic maintenance. Shampooed the Engine Bay, Plugs (NGK G-Power Platinum), Distributor cap and rotor (Altrom), and Plug Wires (NGK Blues). Brand New Type R valve cover and gasket (OEM Honda), Oil Change with OE filter and liquimoly synthetic oil. Trans service with AC Delco Synchromesh, Power Steering Flush, Fuel Filter (Altrom), Battery Terminal service, then checked the alignment and discovered a lot of issues, deleted Cruise because it is ugly, and lastly I tensioned the alternator belt to get rid of a squeal.

Day 2
    Day 2 was fun tackling a lot of issues discovered on Day 1. First I installed some rims and tires I picked up (Volk TE37's Bronze 16x7 +35 with 215/50R16 Falken Azenis RT615 tires). Also I had to replace all 4 endlinks (Altrom), two were obviously broken, the other two just held together by the dust boots haha. I also put in a new mid pipe (Walker) It is absolute junk, the resonator lasted 2 weeks before falling apart. When I did the motor swap, I was missing the shift linkage pin that connects the linkage at the transmission, so I threw in a bolt, it was reeeeaaaalll sloppy, so I got the proper pin and retainer from Honda to put in. I also put in normal OE tail lights that are not tinted, deleted the Antenna with the proper OE Honda block off plate. Recharged the A/C since I had it disconnected during the swap, then it was off to front end fun. The night before when we checked the alignment, it was out, but we were un able to adjust it since the tie rod ends were so badly rusted and corroded that they would not break free. So new Inner and Outer tie rod ends were installed, and the front alignment was cleaned up.

Day 3
    Took it easy this day. The window mouldings had to be replaced, the ones above had to be done due to the glue tearing the rubber from removing the window visors, then the ones at the bottom of the window were just weathered bad and the rubber coating started to chip off and expose aluminum. Also had an exhaust leak wanted to tackle. Removed the heat shield, then removed the exhaust manifold. The flange was warped slightly at the number 4 cylinder causing an exhaust leak, so temporarily ground it down and installed a Nippon Exhaust manifold gasket.

Day 4
    This was another easier day. Again dealing with weathered parts, the wiper arms were pretty weather beaten. I contemplated just tremcladding them but hate painting and have a lot of it ahead of me , so I ordered new arms from Honda and some Bosch wiper blades. Lastly I ordered a new knock sensor from Honda since my car was throwing a code, figured I had bumped it too hard when swapping. I installed it still had a code, checked the wiring, found the connector in the harness pinned backwards, No clue how this happens, but it was an expensive learning mistake haha.

Day 5
    Today I just cleaned and serviced the fuel injectors , ran the Motovac machine on the car to aide clearing everything out. Then tucked the injector harness (learnt this from a friend, tight on the GSR intake manifold, but looks cleaner. After that I replaced the washer lines with black vacuum hose before tucking them in the hood (will tuck rest in the fender later)

Day 6
    This day I installed some Prelude seats, nothing special, but they are better bholstered and are heated which works perfectly for my center console from an EL and its heated seat buttons. After the seat rails were modified, heated seats and stuff were installed, I installed an OE front lip. Lastly I got some generic Billet Lower control arms that I put in to help correct the rear alignment I had. Typical Honda, 4 of the LCA were seized, had fun with a torch getting them out

Day 7.

Not much going on here either. Garage Five in Van got me a sweet disco 5zigen stainless header, it was JAZMA complient and all that junk. It has smaller diameter runners, and only a 2.25” collector (This isn’t a big power build, just clean Honda) The fit was ridiculously good, I would say fit was better than any aftermarket exhaust manifold I have ever installed, even better than OEM JDM. This biggest PIA this night was one of the license plate bolts was snapped off and seized in the nut, wasn’t enough threads exposed to grab with a vice, so took a cutting disc and cut into it, so I could go with a flat head, still seized. So I sprayed it with liquid wrench and let it sit, still seized. Took a little propane torch to it, careful not to screw up the paint, still seized. Ended up having to drill out the bolt and re tap the threads. A real big pain to just be able to use 2 bolts instead of 1 for a license plate.

Day 8

Well Today was a big suspension day. First I got KYG AGX 8 way adjustable struts, Then I got KYB Strut Mounts, then KYB Shock Billows, Then KYB Strut mount Bushings. I finished the assemblies with H&R Race spec springs which lowered 2.5 in the front and 2.3 in the rear. When I was installing in the car, I also threw in some eibach rear camber adjusting arms. Alignment went pretty good, rear toe was still off, and would like to tweak the front camber, but that will come later

Day 9

Day 9 was Brake Day. I got a Stop Tech Sport Kit through Light Speed in Red Deer, the kit included 4 slotted rotors, 2 pad sets, and 4 brake lines. The rear brake calipers were also seized, luckily open, so had no rear brakes or e brakes. I got 4 new A1 cardone calipers that I painted black prematurely to cover corrosion and a new brake master cylinder since the seals on the old one were shot due to a lip worn into the old one. Silly me not thinking did all the parts at once and the ABS pump ran dry, spent a looonnnngg time bleeding the brakes. Also had to do new pins and cotter pins from Honda to connect the old e-brake cables to the calipers.

Day 10
    Since I was running out of stuff to do I started on the body work. I got 2 new front fenders from Honda. I started with sanding the e-coat with some 200grit paper scuffing it for primer. I then layered on some Dupont filler primer and let it dry. 3 thinner coats with a 15 minute flash time in between them. Also De tinted because tint is for fags, with heat the sunroof, side windows and rear window all came off in one piece with no residue

Day 11
    I sanded the primer with some 600grit sand paper and cleaned it off with some grease and wax remover before laying down some color matched paint from C-max. I used about 3 cans on each fender (didn’t realize ho little paint is actually in each can) Again I had a flash time of about 15 minutes. Things are going slower now since I can only paint on the weekends, plus I hate how tedious body work is. Still have to do some wet sanding on the paint before laying down the clear, then wet sanding again and polishing. I am not sure how much more I am going to paint myself. At $38 a rattle can for color match, plus primer, clear, and other consumables it is pretty pricey. I need to do some touch ups on other panels, plus do some rust repair under the rear window, and then repair some rust and fill spoiler holes on the trunk before repainting. I am either going to get a decent spray gun and spray with bulk paint, or send panels to an actual body shop.

I recently placed an order with Password JDM for a Carbon Kevlar whale penis intake, Carbon Kevlar spark plug cover. Skunk 2 Ultra Street Series Intake Manifold. Skunk 2 Billet Pro Series 70mm Throttle Body, Apex’i World Sport 2 Cat Back Exhaust, Password JDM adjustable rear toe links, Password JDM 3 point Strut Bar in bronze, and a JDM catalytic converter from JDM Source. Hopefully these get here soon so I can put aside body work for at least a few days. More updates will come in he future

For future plans, I am not super sure yet.

Tentative plans include
    - Beaks lower tie bar
    - Password JDM 4 point rear strut bar
    - ASR Complete anti roll bar and reinforcement kit
    - Blox extended racing studs
    - Rays open end lug nuts
    - Innovative motor mounts
    - Spoon Oil Cap
    - Spoon Rad Cap
    - Spoon Thermostat
    - Password JDM Dual Core Radiator
    - Samco Rad Hose Kit
    - Password JDM Carbon Kevlar Cooling Plate
    - Password JDM Rad Stays
    - Skunk 2 tuner series stage 1 cam shafts
    - Skunk 2 Alpha series Valve springs and retainers
    - Skunk 2 Pro series cam gears
    - Skunk 2 composite fuel rail
    - Password JDM Yellow Fogs
    - Password JDM tow hooks front and rear
    - Weathertech side window deflectors
    - Skunk 2 Dual Bend Short Throw Shifter
    - Battery Relocation kit
    - JDM Type R Billet shift knob
    - JDM DC2 red stitched shift boot kit
    - Sparco harness bar ( for the short takata harnesses I have)
    - JDM DC2 black recarros for the front
    - JDM DC2 sedan rear seat