Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 90 Mitsubishi Pajero - Long range touring ute

Default 90 Mitsubishi Pajero - Long range touring ute

I figured I would start a new build thread in the correct section as the last one I had detailed my progress with a full body of a wagon.

Previous goals I was trying to attain were:
    1500km range without fuel - Attained, can eek 1700-1800 out of both tanks on highway only

stay under gvm - no.... about 150kgs overweight

1000km offroad without fuel - Attained, 15l/100km with a 25% safety range still in tanks, can load 40L in jerry cans if needed

capable offroad yet still have car like road manners - mehh, pretty close. She drives nice enough loaded yet can go most places without struggles

So I will now proceed to update this thread to where I currently sit:

Alrighty, where to begin, basically I have been sitting here staring at my wagon, looking at ways to shave weight, reuibld this and that out of ally, blah blah blah, basically it came down to a vast amount of work. but one way to drop weight quickly is to cut the body in half. haha.

I have been tossing this idea around for about a year now, I would gain room, lose weight, and it would look awesome, well I hope.

Here is a photochop of the plan, the cab was made a bit short, it will have about 150mm added behind the b pillar. like a small extra cab, which will allow me to fit a 1700x1700x1000mm canopy in size. with the spare tyres hanging of the canopy it will come in at the same length, but will allow me to raise my rear fuel tank for a slightly better departure angle.

I did get some new tools to sort out the swap, including and air compressor, 200 amp ac/dc tig welder, and paint gun kit.

How it currently sits:
    07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty VRX - Bush basher
    90 Mitsubishi Pajero Ute - The project
    89 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Pavement Princess
    89 Mitsubishi Pajero Exceed - The donor

Well, today was a good day, I have gotten the whole interior stripped. My storage system had no fail points that i found while removing it which is good, but it was heavy. so it had to go.

Then I reinstalled the front seat and set it all the way back to find where I should be cutting it at. where the green line is allows me 50mm behind the seat at its current setting which is more than enough.

Here is the line down the whole side of the wagon.

Well, the chop has begun... I am committed, no backing out now. LOL

Pretty straight forward to chop, pulled all the wiring out. and dropped my second fuel tank to make the cut.

We started at about 1pm and had the back of the body sitting on the ground by 5. It would of been quicker, but there is a video that goes with this and filming takes a while to setup ad get the shots right.

A good day. mixed it with beer and a bbq too, a lot of fun was had. Many thanks to those who showed up to help

With all the doors pulled off:

Starting to mark it out:

I used plumb lines to line the cuts up. a bit tricky on slightly curved surfaces. but I had my 1m ruler to help make sure it was all straight and square.. this was a measure 8 times deal. haha

Time to cut:
    photos coming soon

After the cut!!!

Nice straight cuts:

The sills and roof support:

The frame with the body off, it was very clean. impressed for a 90 model. haha.

Alrighty, time for that update with the cut photos I was talking about.

And BAM its off

I am heading back to Canada for 4 weeks for vaca so for now... she sleeps

Alright, Back from Canada. was a good month off.
    been a bit of a slow start. jsut sorting a mig welder out to start tacking it together.

I began today making templates for the front of the rear doors to fill the gap after the hinges are gone and hold it in place.

How wierd do the doors look hanging there..

pulled all the gear out of the door so I can begin cutting the panels for fitting.

Another cut line:

pulled off a cover and found some orignal untouched paint. love the colour:

A little more done today, but some of my tools have gone walk-about... i know where they are and why they are there... but they shouldnt be there anymore... ugghhh i need a lock on my garage.

dropped the fuel tank, Will do a full inspection for cracks to see how it is holding up as some of the welds on install were questionable for me. its also a bitch to drop by yourself. Also removed the rear cut springs and will remove the axle once my air tools are back home too.

And I got one door cut to size, well close, the outer sheet is still to long but I will wait to cut that once I have stripped more from the back half for corners so there is no mistakes.

This is awesome!

Subbed
    summer toy: 2003 Z33

Thanks. Hopefully this round I meet all my goals. either way I will be happy with it. I am hoping to take it to South America in 2015 with my little bro and his pajero.

I picked up a foxwing awning for the rig recently. I used to have jsut a square type side awning now I will have one that wraps around the vehicle for better shade coverage.

Size: the old awning was jsut a 2.5M long by 2M out from the rig

Link for more info:
    http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCa...Awning_56.aspx

Got mine form a mate with the sand bags, side walls, screens and some other gear. Will be nice to have shade all day without having to move the rig around.

The cool thing I will add is that you can push the outter legs higher than the part closest to the car and it has a drain system with a funnel so you can catch rain water from that huge surface and refill your water tanks. which for where I end up is a great thing. cause if it rains I may be stuck for a few days.

Good news, I have a mig welder at home. time to get back on the project. tonight I cut the other door to suit. this weekend my goal is to try to get the bottom half mostly fabricated and tacked up.
    I got side tracked for a few months since I bought a ss ute.. was having to much fun to sit in a dark shed and weld. but now, it is time.