Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Registration of a Right-Hand-Drive Vehicle in Alberta

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010


    Quote Originally Posted by fitz01 View Post
    You got a source for that info??
    This. People have been saying this shit for years but no one has any substantial evidence to support their claims. It's always "I used to work with a guy who knew a guy who had a cousin who had a friend who worked at a registry office for a week and he said jdms are unsafe."

    But if it's true, I'd better get started on that lhd conversion
    Built > Bought

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Edmonton Area


    There was some good info posted in another thread by 1slowZ

    I figured I would copy the thread into the LE forum and provide the info from the Alberta Website.

    Thanks for the post 1slowZ!

    Before you Buy
    Before you decide to purchase an imported right-hand-drive vehicle, you should be aware of a number of factors that may affect your decision. Not asking the right questions could result in substantial costs and delays for you.

    For example, parts for right-hand-drive vehicles may be difficult to find, and may have to be ordered directly from the manufacturer in the country in which the vehicle was manufactured. Even if you can order the parts in Canada, it can take months for them to arrive. At times, it can be difficult to find dealers interested in servicing imported vehicles or taking them in trade for a North American built left-hand-drive vehicle.

    You should also be aware that right-hand-drive vehicles require changes in the way you perform ordinary driving operations. Other provincial jurisdictions, such as British Columbia, have found the risk of being involved in a collision with a right-hand-drive vehicle is 40 percent higher. (Click here to view this information.) This may be because it is far more difficult to perform simple driving functions such as passing (you have to go further into the left lane to see whether it is safe to pass) or left turns (you must allow the vehicle ahead of you to clear the intersection before you have a clear view of your path).

    For more information, refer to this Analysis of Accident Risk for Right Hand Drive Vehicles here.

    You may have been informed that right-hand-drive vehicles that are imported into Canada can automatically be driven on provincial roads. That is not the case. The moment the vehicle is to be driven on a public road, it becomes subject to provincial legislation. Transport Canada makes this clear in this statement: "It should be noted that the provinces/territories have the authority to establish their respective registration (plating) requirements for these vehicles, consistent with the level of risk they may pose to the travelling public."

    After You Buy

    If you intend to drive your vehicle on Alberta roads, the vehicle must pass an out-of- province vehicle inspection before it can be registered. The owner of the vehicle is required to visit a registry office to purchase a “Request for Inspection”. The vehicle owner will then take the “Request for Inspection” and the vehicle to an out of province vehicle inspection facility.

    To find an Alberta Inspection Facility in your area, please click here.

    Purpose of Inspection

    Imported right-hand-drive vehicles were never built for or intended to be driven on North American roads. Therefore, they may have equipment and parts that pose a danger to the driver, passengers, and the public. To ensure the safety of the travelling public, a number of modifications may have to be made to the right-hand-drive vehicle before it can be allowed to operate legally on Alberta highways. For example, headlights that tilted toward the ditch and would now tilt toward an oncoming driver. These headlights may have to be replaced.

    Once your vehicle is inspected

    If the vehicle passes inspection, you will receive an out of province vehicle inspection certificate confirming that you are permitted to register your vehicle. The vehicle inspection certificate must be presented to a Registry Agent within 14 days of the date of issue, in order to register the vehicle.

    If the vehicle does not pass inspection, you will have 10 days to complete the required repairs. Within 10 days of the repairs being completed, take the vehicle back to the vehicle inspection facility for a re-inspection. If the vehicle passes this re-inspection, an out of province vehicle inspection certificate will be issued. This certificate must be presented to a Registry Agent within 14 days of the date of issue, in order to register the vehicle.

    Additionally, it is recommended that you contact the original equipment manufacturer for proper parts. You are responsible for having this work completed, at your cost.
    My Rides:
    | 1988 Ford Mustang Cobra GT | 1997 Jaguar XK8 | 1998 Ford F-250 | 2008 Ford F-150 Lariat | 2012 Volvo S60 R-Design Polestar |
    | 1978 Harley Davidson FLH | 2008 Harley Davidson VRSC "Nightrod Special" | 2008 Harley Davidson "Nightster" |

    Current Projects:
    | 1986 Mercury Capri RS | 1993 Ford Ranger 4x4 | 1981 Mercury Capri "Liberty Block" |

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts