Certified

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Ford Focus ST (whats a daily driver?)

Thanks

Default 2013 Ford Focus ST (whats a daily driver?)

Hey guys, thought i should start a build thread on my 2013 Ford Focus ST.

Bought it last year in september as a daily driver. That idea didnt last long obviously.

Stock specs :

Focus ST in tangerine scream (pictures dont do this color justice. Its a nice tricoat paint that just shines on the daylight)
    2.0 L direct injection eco boost motor. 252hp 270ftlbs
    6-speed getrag transmission
    Heated, leather power recaros

I was shopping around for a hot hatch and this came out top in terms of cost, power, features and technology. The recaros are one of the best fitting stock seats ive been in. The transmission is smooth and the torque was insane. This thing would blow the tires off in first and second.

Picked er up from the dealership with about 50 KM's on it:

Took it to the track the very same night :

Ended up with horrible times. First time owning a FWD car. haha.

Few weeks later I ended up doing a full car 3m and tint (done by derek at car pretty). We did black vinyl on the roof and mirrors. Car still looks brand new to this day. No rock chips.

Picked up a set of weather tech mats. The laser cut series fit perfect and look awesome. I actually keep them in year round :

I didnt like the long throws of the stock shifter, so I installed the cobb short shift plate and shifter. This reduced the throw by about 40 percent:

Decided the car was too quiet and needed some bark so I ordered an Agency Power Titanium Catback exhaust:

Ooooh what could be in the box :

LOUD STUFF :

I also installed Cobb Exhaust hangers with the new exhaust. The stock hangers were a little too soft and my exhaust started hitting the underside of my bumper.

Picked up a boomba BOV. I have grown to hate it. This replaced the stock diverter valve thats in the compressor housing of the Borgwarner stock turbo

Thanks

Since it was winter I thought I should start hunting down a nice set of wheels. Quickly realized there was a poor selection of wheels in this bolt pattern. Everything out there was weak sizes and guady designs.
    Got in touch with Avant Garde and went through them.

Ended up with a set of Avant Garde m240s in 18x9 +43

I ended up getting the faces painted a nice metallic black with a lot flake. Turned out really nice :

Just a quick test fit. Perfect fitment :

At this point it was winter So i had to wait untill spring to get some tires mounted and put on the car.

I started wanting a bit more power. First choice was obviously the Cobb Accessport. Ive dealt with cobb alot when I had my subaru. They actually let me trade in my old version 2 cobb accessport from my wrx and gave me half off on the new focus accessport

Stage 1 tune felt awesome. Better powerband, very smooth. Car held power to redline much better. Also got launch control and flatfoot shifting as well as 5 way on the fly map switching

It gets dirty here in canada :

My next set of parts came in near the end of the winter.

A set of Fortune Auto 500 with 7k swift springs in the front and rear. Adjustable camber plates, spherical bearings. I initially had issues with some clunk in the rear. Turned out to be the bushing was too short. Fortune Auto quickly sent me out a replacement and they have been perfect since :

Thanks

Finally all the snow was gone so I could put on the coilovers and wheels. It was a tight fit, but goddamn did she ever look good :

At this point I was craving even more power. Ordered an FSWerks catless downpipe, cobb FMIC (my intake temperatures dropped from an average of 140ish to barely over 80 degrees. This allowed for way more timing and even better power), cobb CAI, cobb RMM and some FSWerks shifter bushings. Tossed all that stuff on and a new tune.

Thanks

Not much has changed for the past month or so, but of course the mod bug started itching again.

Picked up some cup spoilers for a guy in calgary (these will get painted once i take my car in to get a door ding touched up) :

And just this week I decided i needed even more power. So i made a little purchase:

The gtx is the top of the line gt series turbo. They have a billet wheel and have excellent effeciency range. I will be running around the 25psi area, which is exactly where this turbo shines. It may be a 'small framed' turbo, but guys around making close to 400hp with the same setup I am doing. And it still has more up top, unfortuately we are limited by our fuel system right now. Once someone designs a HPFP for our platform, these numbers will start going up.

Currently going to be having it tuned by Matt and Panda Motor Works out of the states. He currently has the fastest gtx 2867r focus running 12.71 @ 113.2 mph on pump gas with no meth injection.

So this is how the car sits now. My parts should be shipped out next week and installed shortly after. Ill keep this thread updated as the parts come. I plan to start sourcing out a block for the winter and starting an engine build. Once we have a better HPFP and internal parts I will be more than likely doing a gt35r sized turbo swap and see what this thing can put out.

Thanks

Looking real good. i've always liked the focus ST, do you winter drive this car? if you do how was it in the winter? whats your end goal with this car?

Thanks

Thanks dude! I winter drove it last year. It wasn't terrible but it was also stock, too. Still debating on it this year haha. Might just pick up another vehicle.

Not sure on end goal right now. This platform is still fairly new so I'd like to push the stock components and see how they hold up. Realistically I'd want to make about 500hp with this platform. Any more then that would be pointless with fwd.

Thanks

No problem, hahaha well at least you made it through the winter. if i were you i would just get a winter beater and save the car from collecting rust during winter, make it easier to work on. If you already have another car you can use for winter then perfect.

Has nobody tested how much power the stock internals can hold? 500 hp in a focus would be pretty impressive, the torque steer would probably be a little terrifying at that power level though haha. is there forged internals for that engine out yet? how much boost can the stock turbo push out?

Thanks

Yeah I will probally end up picking up something.

So far there are a few guys making right around 400whp on a gtx2867r. But that's with e85 and meth.

There is a shop right now testing and making forged pistons as well as built heads.

Thanks

Also stock turbo is a borg warner k03. I am running around 23 lbs with it right now.