Ming Shine

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 172 of 183 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182 ... LastLast
Results 1,540 to 1,548 of 1647

Thread: Giant fitness thread

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    So... The scale at the gym has been busted for the past 6 months, and I don't own one.

They finally got a new one, and I'm still sitting at 245lbs, so that's pretty killer. Makes sense though, my workout routine hasn't changed too much, and neither have my eating habits.

I don't know if I've mentioned this or not... But I've pretty much given up on cardio the last 3 months. I figure - fuck it, I can just take meds for my asthma. lol.

I want to focus more on getting ripped... I want to add an extra day in the gym. I'm doing 2-3 days a week pretty religiously right now.

I do my big compound lifts on one day, and my accessory lifts on another day, and MAYBE cardio/core on day 3.

I'm lifting (what I consider to be) heavy, for me, and so here's my next noob question; would there be a huge benefit adding a day where i do all my exercises with, for example, 50% of my normal weights, and just pump out a shit ton of reps?
    Hypertrophy is good for "getting ripped". I would incorporate supersets with your work outs, that is a way I have managed to do cardio without actually doing it.

Like Viktimize says you need to get your diet on point, or else no matter who much you work out, you won't see the results your after.

So... The scale at the gym has been busted for the past 6 months, and I don't own one.

They finally got a new one, and I'm still sitting at 245lbs, so that's pretty killer. Makes sense though, my workout routine hasn't changed too much, and neither have my eating habits.

I don't know if I've mentioned this or not... But I've pretty much given up on cardio the last 3 months. I figure - fuck it, I can just take meds for my asthma. lol.

I want to focus more on getting ripped... I want to add an extra day in the gym. I'm doing 2-3 days a week pretty religiously right now.

I do my big compound lifts on one day, and my accessory lifts on another day, and MAYBE cardio/core on day 3.

I'm lifting (what I consider to be) heavy, for me, and so here's my next noob question; would there be a huge benefit adding a day where i do all my exercises with, for example, 50% of my normal weights, and just pump out a shit ton of reps?
    Seems weird that you do heavy compound one day and accessory another day. Why not split you compounds up between the two days and start your workouts with those and then after that finish the workout with accessory stuff. Thats the more traditional way of doing it
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

It's all about my free time, or rather, the lack thereof.

I've got roughly 45 min available on Monday... so I do the big lifts. And then I've got like 2 hours free on Weds. So I can do all the accessory work. And I've got a small amount of free time Friday... which is usually when I do groceries, laundry, etc.

I've proven to myself that I really can stick with this whole gym thing. Since I've basically been going steady for the past year... and not given up after 3 months like the last few times.

I'm really really REALLY enjoying it. And I just want to see more results. So, obviously adding an extra day will help... I just wasn't sure exactly what I should be doing for that extra day.

To see "mad gainz yo" should I be doing more compound work? More accessory work? Full blown 90% rm lifts? 50% rm lifts? Etc.

I appreciate the diet advice. And I suppose I should have been more specific... I don't think I'll ever hit 10% bf, nor do I super care, at least not at this point. I've already dropped 30lbs of what I assume was fat... since I haven't gotten any weaker. Who knows... maybe I'll decide I want to compete, lol. I'll be 40 by that time.

But I digress. Point is, when I started posting in this thread I was a 275lb fat sack of crap who swore up and down that I wasn't going to pay attention to my diet, etc. And then what happened? I starter counting calories and upping my protein intake, etc. So who knows where I'll end up another year from now.

So... when I said "ripped" what I really meant was - I want to get bigger. And what's the best way to promote muscle growth?
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

I've got roughly 45 min available on Monday... so I do the big lifts. And then I've got like 2 hours free on Weds. So I can do all the accessory work. And I've got a small amount of free time Friday... which is usually when I do groceries, laundry, etc.

I've proven to myself that I really can stick with this whole gym thing. Since I've basically been going steady for the past year... and not given up after 3 months like the last few times.

I'm really really REALLY enjoying it. And I just want to see more results. So, obviously adding an extra day will help... I just wasn't sure exactly what I should be doing for that extra day.

To see "mad gainz yo" should I be doing more compound work? More accessory work? Full blown 90% rm lifts? 50% rm lifts? Etc.

I appreciate the diet advice. And I suppose I should have been more specific... I don't think I'll ever hit 10% bf, nor do I super care, at least not at this point. I've already dropped 30lbs of what I assume was fat... since I haven't gotten any weaker. Who knows... maybe I'll decide I want to compete, lol. I'll be 40 by that time.

But I digress. Point is, when I started posting in this thread I was a 275lb fat sack of crap who swore up and down that I wasn't going to pay attention to my diet, etc. And then what happened? I starter counting calories and upping my protein intake, etc. So who knows where I'll end up another year from now.

So... when I said "ripped" what I really meant was - I want to get bigger. And what's the best way to promote muscle growth?

It's awesome that you're making progress and sticking to it. Power to that!!

As for what's the best workout. Well you said you enjoy what you're doing, and really the best workout for some people is the one they won't give up on because they dread going to the gym.

However, if you're open to exploring changes in pursuit of a goal. A balanced workout that focuses on specific body parts will better suit your goal. A full workout can definitely be achieved in 45min. If you're only going 3 times a week and you're going to have to include two body parts per day. Something like chest and tris, back and bis, shoulders and legs. If you add a 4th day then you can split the shoulders a legs up which is optimal. But chest and tris is a short workout if you superset, or just take short breaks. So that can be done on your 45min day.

As far as what builds muscle. Again, eating is the most anabolic thing you can do. That's why insulin is such a powerful hormone. But assuming no diet changes at all, heavy weights induce muscle growth. They say the 8-12 rep range is muscle growth range. But personally I believe lifting in the 3-6 rep range grows your strength and increases your capacity in that 8-12 range. Ultimately you want to lift as heavy as you can in that range.

Really though, if you're not juicing or maximizing your diet, then it's hard to expect incredibly noticeable gains. Losing fat is definitely going to make your muscles appear larger, because you can see their definition more. If diet doesn't change, then increasing the amount of calories you burn in a day is the only other option. Doing a HIRT(high intensity resistance training) style workout. Been proven have the most increase on BMR for the longest period of time.

Always read this thread and never post but feeling sorry for myself while I sit on the couch and recover so figured I'd throw my recent experience out there.

Worked out at the gym off and on for years, usually good for 6-12 months and then lazy for 6-12 months. Bought a crappy Weider home gym on kijiji over a year ago to see if I could be more focused at home with the plan that if I could stick with it I would spend some money on a real set up (rack/bench). Love working out at home but the limitations of a crappy home gym have been getting to me and making leg workouts a pain in the ass so I've been limiting how much legs get done the last few months.

Went to the gym with a friend on Wednesday that wanted to work out together and it was leg day. Overdid it with squats 5x12 and leg press 5x12 and stiff leg deadlift 5x12. Felt like I was pushing it during the workout but not much worse than any intense leg day I've done before. Although I'm usually more of a 5x5 or 3x10 so the rep range felt pretty unnatural to me.

Soreness was high on Thursday as expected but by Friday my thighs were swelling up pretty bad and it was getting hard to get in and out of a vehicle, up and down stairs and even walking was hurting my hams/quads/glutes. Then the kicker on Friday night I noticed my urine was brown, like non watered down iced tea brown. Brushed it off as being dehydrated but didn't sleep well at all and in the morning I looked up the symptoms and went to the doctor.

So I have Rhabdomyolysis which means parts of my skeletal muscles are dead tissue and are being absorbed and processed by my kidneys which can cause kidney damage or failure. If my CK levels were high enough they would have put me on an IV to help the kidneys stay flushed. Instead I'm on bed rest, Tylenol 4 and some muscle relaxant.

This scared the shit out of me but I really want to recover fast and start working out ASAP. Going to give the legs more time to rest but hoping to get an upper body workout in late this week.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000z View Post
    Always read this thread and never post but feeling sorry for myself while I sit on the couch and recover so figured I'd throw my recent experience out there.

Worked out at the gym off and on for years, usually good for 6-12 months and then lazy for 6-12 months. Bought a crappy Weider home gym on kijiji over a year ago to see if I could be more focused at home with the plan that if I could stick with it I would spend some money on a real set up (rack/bench). Love working out at home but the limitations of a crappy home gym have been getting to me and making leg workouts a pain in the ass so I've been limiting how much legs get done the last few months.

Went to the gym with a friend on Wednesday that wanted to work out together and it was leg day. Overdid it with squats 5x12 and leg press 5x12 and stiff leg deadlift 5x12. Felt like I was pushing it during the workout but not much worse than any intense leg day I've done before. Although I'm usually more of a 5x5 or 3x10 so the rep range felt pretty unnatural to me.

Soreness was high on Thursday as expected but by Friday my thighs were swelling up pretty bad and it was getting hard to get in and out of a vehicle, up and down stairs and even walking was hurting my hams/quads/glutes. Then the kicker on Friday night I noticed my urine was brown, like non watered down iced tea brown. Brushed it off as being dehydrated but didn't sleep well at all and in the morning I looked up the symptoms and went to the doctor.

So I have Rhabdomyolysis which means parts of my skeletal muscles are dead tissue and are being absorbed and processed by my kidneys which can cause kidney damage or failure. If my CK levels were high enough they would have put me on an IV to help the kidneys stay flushed. Instead I'm on bed rest, Tylenol 4 and some muscle relaxant.

This scared the shit out of me but I really want to recover fast and start working out ASAP. Going to give the legs more time to rest but hoping to get an upper body workout in late this week.
    Wow. That's not even much of a workout to get Rabdo from. Be thankful you're not on dialysis, or having to be sliced open to relieve pressure. Rabdo can be pretty horrible shit. Stay away from Crossfit whatever you do in the future. Doesn't sound like your body likes much intensity.

I always try to hit everybody part twice a week. Depending on my work/vacation schedule I do this a variety of ways. Although I really don't have any kind of weekly schedule in my life so what I do is pretty sporadic.

I'f I'm on vacation and I have little time I'll go two or three times a week, usually two full body days or an upper, lower, and full body day.

When I get working long hours I'll just do upper, lower, rest repeat.

If I'm at home and I have lots of time I''l do upper, lower/abs, rest, chest/triceps, back/biceps, shoulders/abs, rest, repeat

I also used to repeat the same exercises almost every workout type, now I just have a "collection" of my common exercises and I'll just mix it up so I'm not doing the same thing as last time, this is more for my repeating upper lower days than may split for when I have lots of time.

Besides diet, I find volume and hitting each body part twice a week to be the most important.

And just as an aside don't count yourself out for anything if its something you want to do. I always used to think that with my body type I'd never really have a good looking fit body. When I picked up fitness I committed myself pretty hard and even though I still have cheat meals and live my life I still keep my diet in check for the most part.
    I managed to go from looking like this november 2015

to these, one a few weeks ago and one last week

#RAM

haha I went from your 'after' picture to your 'before'.

Good job! That takes mad dedication.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 2G Toyota 4Runner (22RE) aka Gandalf / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Back in the gym.
    Ending week #2 after 3.5 weeks off from surgery. Recommended weight time is 6-8 weeks with no activity. No pain or discomfort and have been reporting to my Dr.
    Going to be starting a 12 week 5/3/1 challenge this week.
    Past: 85 Ford Ranger
    Past: 92 MX3
    Past: 93 MX3 KLZE Swapped
    Past: 06 Eclipse GT
    Past: First Evo X in Canada to break 300awhp - Sold
    Past: 2010 Ram Sport C/C
    Past: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport C/C: HemiFever Tuned, Stainless Works Longtube Headers, Crossflow Exhaust.
    Current: 2015 SRT8 Grand Cherokee