Performance-shop.com

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 173 of 185 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183 ... LastLast
Results 1,549 to 1,557 of 1660

Thread: Giant fitness thread

Thanks DieselDakota.

I guess I'll just try another full body full weight day.

See where that takes me.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Just organizing my workout spreadsheets.

I decided to take a look back at my progress... Compared the weights I was lifting almost precisely 1 year ago, to where I'm at today.

I won't post the exact numbers, as I don't want to be judged, lol. But nearly all of my lifts have seen approximately 50% increase.

Also, it's about time to stop using as many machines as I do, since I'm getting close to maxing most of them. I guess I'm a little intimidated by free weights.

Some of the exercises, however, I'm not sure how you'd do them with free weights. For example, how do you do rowing without a rowing machine? lol

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post

I decided to take a look back at my progress... Compared the weights I was lifting almost precisely 1 year ago, to where I'm at today.

I won't post the exact numbers, as I don't want to be judged, lol. But nearly all of my lifts have seen approximately 50% increase.

Also, it's about time to stop using as many machines as I do, since I'm getting close to maxing most of them. I guess I'm a little intimidated by free weights.

Some of the exercises, however, I'm not sure how you'd do them with free weights. For example, how do you do rowing without a rowing machine? lol
    Seated cable rows (i consider cables to be more like a free weight than a machine since there is no guided linear motion), landmine rows (this might be my fav exercise) dumbell rows (although I rarely see people doing these properly, they usually have a 900 lb dumbbell and are lifting in a super twisty and jerky motion doing them 0 benefit, and pendlay/barbell rows
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post

bent over barbell rows, pendlay rows or landmine rows are my favorite free weight rows. behind seated cable rows if you count that. I never do dumbell rows anymore.

I always recommend this app called strong, I got it way back when they were starting out and it was all free, now they charge a couple dollars after you try out the free version. still the best way to track your lifts in my mind. my buddy had like 3 notebooks in his gym bag and I kept giving him shit until he caved.
    #RAM

Honestly I'd have to say Pendlay rows are one of the dumbest exercises ever. "I really like Barbell rows, but I feel too stable while doing them, and I'd like a higher risk of injury during my workouts. I know!! Pendlay Rows!!"

Nothing wrong with machines. But when it comes to back I find there is pretty rarely more machine movements I could ever do than free weights(considering cables as free weights). And back is pretty damn simple. Row row row your back! My back workout lately consists of pull downs, dumbbell rows, seated close grip cable rows, seated one arm cable rows, and hyper extensions. Sometimes I'll toss in deadlifts if I'm feeling rambunctious.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
    Honestly I'd have to say Pendlay rows are one of the dumbest exercises ever. "I really like Barbell rows, but I feel too stable while doing them, and I'd like a higher risk of injury during my workouts. I know!! Pendlay Rows!!"
    Oh wow, i looked up the difference now, but i always thought Pendlay was just another name for barbell row. Pendlay definitely does seem stupid.

I forgot to mention rack pulls too. I've been phasing out deadlifts with these and my back is loving me for it.
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

I just looked up rack pulls.

I did not know this was a legit thing. I've always seen people in the gym do this and sorta laughed because, to me, it came across as a weird/scaled/cheat/one-third-ROM dead lift. Mind you, they were smaller fellows so who knows if they were knowingly performing rack pulls or were just fucking around?

After a bit of reading, it appears to serve a very specific purpose but the general temperature is that they should not replace dead lifts. https://forums.t-nation.com/t/whats-...pulls/207739/8
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 2G Toyota 4Runner (22RE) aka Gandalf / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Quote Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post
    I just looked up rack pulls.

I did not know this was a legit thing. I've always seen people in the gym do this and sorta laughed because, to me, it came across as a weird/scaled/cheat/one-third-ROM dead lift. Mind you, they were smaller fellows so who knows if they were knowingly performing rack pulls or were just fucking around?

After a bit of reading, it appears to serve a very specific purpose but the general temperature is that they should not replace dead lifts. https://forums.t-nation.com/t/whats-...pulls/207739/8
    It depends what you use deadlifts for i guess. Like if you are in to power lifting then obviously you need to keep up with your DLs, if you are new to lifting and are only deadlifting like 200 lbs then yeah theres no issue with that.

The problem, for me at least, with deadlifts is that I'm at the point where ive gotten strong enough that if i want to get a good workout in with deadlifts, i'm lifting enough that it is very taxing on the central nervous system and the lower back too once you get some form degradation as you begin to tire out. A little while back, I asked myself why i insist on killing myself every week with deadlifts and the only thing i could come up with is "because some strangers on the internet said it's important". The only thing i like deadlifts for is building upper back/traps. The same thing is accomplished with rack pulls but i'm not dead after.
    -Viktimize

Thanks weinerschnitzels!

Went to the gym last night, as per usual, and the very first machine I went to use was out-of-order. I took it as a sign, and decided to go over to the big-boy section and start using free weights.

LOL. Fuck my life. I wasn't planning on making such a huge change to my routine with zero warning. But, go hard - or go home, right? Boy, do machines ever give you a false sense of accomplishment.

Basically, what I found was, whatever a machine said I could lift - divide that by two. Which is fine. I figured machines were artificially high numbers anyways. AND... Everything is relative. If I started at 50lbs on a machine and worked up to 100lbs... It's probably the same as if I had started with 25lb free weights and worked my way up to 50lbs.

I certainly saw "gainz" on the machines. So it's not like I've been wasting my time in the gym. It'll just take me a few days to learn what my "real" weights need to be. I also felt like this was progression. Like... Taking off training wheels and learning to ride for real.

I'm pretty excited to see where the next year of gym'ing takes me.