Handz

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 174 of 183 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176 ... LastLast
Results 1,558 to 1,566 of 1641

Thread: Giant fitness thread

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    Thanks weinerschnitzels!

Went to the gym last night, as per usual, and the very first machine I went to use was out-of-order. I took it as a sign, and decided to go over to the big-boy section and start using free weights.

LOL. Fuck my life. I wasn't planning on making such a huge change to my routine with zero warning. But, go hard - or go home, right? Boy, do machines ever give you a false sense of accomplishment.

Basically, what I found was, whatever a machine said I could lift - divide that by two. Which is fine. I figured machines were artificially high numbers anyways. AND... Everything is relative. If I started at 50lbs on a machine and worked up to 100lbs... It's probably the same as if I had started with 25lb free weights and worked my way up to 50lbs.

I certainly saw "gainz" on the machines. So it's not like I've been wasting my time in the gym. It'll just take me a few days to learn what my "real" weights need to be. I also felt like this was progression. Like... Taking off training wheels and learning to ride for real.

I'm pretty excited to see where the next year of gym'ing takes me.
    I think almost all my exercises are "free weights" except for some leg machines. I pretty much just randomly pick a mixture of the stuff below depending on what I'm supposed to work for that day and how I feel

for chest my mains are incline dumbell press, flat dumbell press and flat barbell press, and my accessories are cable work and I kinda count dips as a chest exercise

for shoulders my mains are dumbell shoulder press and barbell overhead press. my accessories are front raises with a plate, side and rear lateral raises with dumbells(these are the best), and cable lateral raises.

for back I pretty much only have mains, seated cable row, pull ups, landmine row, lat pull downs. the only real accessory that I do is back flys with a cable.

for legs, my main is squat and hip thrusts. accessories are hamstring machine, hip abductor and adductor machines, leg press, and seated or standing calf raises.

biceps are barbell curl, dumbell curl, or dumbell concentration curls.

triceps are all cable work, rope push downs, the two handed handle push down or single handed tricep extension.
    #RAM

Only "machines" (I quote because I don't know if certain things qualify as a machine since they're not free weights -e.g. cables) I use for chest are cables and occasionally hammer press machines (good for the ego and easy on your joints lol). Everything else is done with a dumbbell or barbell (maybe even the occasional set of dips).

Legs are mostly all over the place. Lots of barbell and dumbbell type exercises, but also some machine stuff mixed in (seated press, ham string curls, seated calf raises). I keep it simple with legs and do a lot of barbell squats.

Back. barbell rows, dumbbell flys, chin ups, hammer strength machines (lat pull downs, rows, etc), cable rows, deadlifts.

arms... I think all dumbbells for biceps, a lot of cable machine stuff + dips for triceps.

shoulders. dumbbells and overhead press with the hammer strength machines.

I usually only touch the hammer strength stuff if I feel like I need to scale stuff a bit back or if my joints are sore or something.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 2G Toyota 4Runner (22RE) aka Gandalf / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Yup. Going forward I'll be doing 90% free weights and 10% machines.

Do you guys do dumbbell fly's for chest? I'm going to need a lot of free space around me for that, with a 7-foot wing span. lol. I think I'll still need a machine for rear-fly?

Last night I did dumbbell shoulder shrugs (as I have been for a long time). Dumbbell shoulder press. Barbell press.

For back I did seated rowing machine, and lat pull down machine - since I'm not strong enough to do pull ups (never have been able to). But next time I'm going to try bent over rows with a barbell instead of a machine.

Arms I did barbell curls and barbell extensions. I'll probably throw in some dumbbell work too, but it was getting late and my everything hurt.

For legs I did curls and extensions on the machines. I did cardio the day before, and squats the day before that.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    Oh wow, i looked up the difference now, but i always thought Pendlay was just another name for barbell row. Pendlay definitely does seem stupid.

I forgot to mention rack pulls too. I've been phasing out deadlifts with these and my back is loving me for it.

One of the best things I ever did for back, is changing whatever I can to reverse grip(Yates style). Barbell rows with an underhand grip are awesome. And my one arm cable rows I end up completely palm up when full contraction. They hit the last hard. Probably just genetics, but I'd like to think that stuff played a bit of a role in having one of the best backs on a Provincial stage. I'd post a pic if this forum wasn't so gay as to prevent me doing that from my phone.

Thanks weinerschnitzels!

Went to the gym last night, as per usual, and the very first machine I went to use was out-of-order. I took it as a sign, and decided to go over to the big-boy section and start using free weights.

LOL. Fuck my life. I wasn't planning on making such a huge change to my routine with zero warning. But, go hard - or go home, right? Boy, do machines ever give you a false sense of accomplishment.

Basically, what I found was, whatever a machine said I could lift - divide that by two. Which is fine. I figured machines were artificially high numbers anyways. AND... Everything is relative. If I started at 50lbs on a machine and worked up to 100lbs... It's probably the same as if I had started with 25lb free weights and worked my way up to 50lbs.

I certainly saw "gainz" on the machines. So it's not like I've been wasting my time in the gym. It'll just take me a few days to learn what my "real" weights need to be. I also felt like this was progression. Like... Taking off training wheels and learning to ride for real.

I'm pretty excited to see where the next year of gym'ing takes me.
    Machines tend to take away the need for stabilization muscles. So it's easier. Plus they just tell you the weight of the stack, that stack is still lifted by a series of levers or other mechanical advantage that decreases the actual weight.

Maybe try booking something at the EIA for when you gotta do flys? haha try 50 lbs flys right off the bat, no point warming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    Maybe try booking something at the EIA for when you gotta do flys? haha try 50 lbs flys right off the bat, no point warming up.
    LOLOL!

Yeah. I was thinking I'd start with 40-50lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

LOLOL!

Yeah. I was thinking I'd start with 40-50lbs.
    In all seriousness start at like 30 and go really slow.. does just as good as a job with less chance of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
    ... Plus they just tell you the weight of the stack, that stack is still lifted by a series of levers or other mechanical advantage that decreases the actual weight.
    Surely they factor that in and the weights are actually higher, yielding an equivalent weight listed.
    Are they actually that dumb?