Performance-shop.com

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 207 of 215 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209 ... LastLast
Results 1,855 to 1,863 of 1932

Thread: Giant fitness thread

Thanks

So question for you guys. Has anyone ever hired a personal trainer with World Health? I've done a few sessions with a guy at the St.Albert location and so far it's really been an eye opener. There are a couple new workouts that we've gone through that have just blown my mind. He's also shown me a couple tweaks that have completely improved my knee injury in as little as a week.
    Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
    The name is Zach.

Flickr

Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Fuzz View Post
    So question for you guys. Has anyone ever hired a personal trainer with World Health? I've done a few sessions with a guy at the St.Albert location and so far it's really been an eye opener. There are a couple new workouts that we've gone through that have just blown my mind. He's also shown me a couple tweaks that have completely improved my knee injury in as little as a week.
    Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
    Yeah.. I would just stay away from those big-gym personal training sessions. They are just a money grab. You are honestly better off doing a little research and putting together your own routines / workouts. If you have an injury, you should be seeing a doctor, not someone who took a 3 day personal training course in a hotel conference room.

My girlfriend's brother was a personal trainer for world health a while back and not to be mean/rude but he didn't really know what he was doing when it came to putting together workouts or diets. He had a book (his own, not one they provided) with a whole bunch of different exercises in it and would just pick shit at random out of there to use in the next session. You are far better off doing your own research and putting together routines that suit your goals then just paying someone to haphazardly pick some stuff out of a book. Not to mention aren't those sessions expensive as fuck? That's how those gyms pull in the big bucks.

But if you think it's beneficial and worth the money, keep doing it. I personally don't see the value in it.

Oh and also forgot to mention - when I am looking to someone for help to reach my goals, I always take a look at them first. Have they achieved what I am striving for? If not, then how the hell are they going to get me there when they can't even do it themselves? My overall goal since i began working out probably like 7 years ago (holy shit time flies) has been basically just been shooting for the best physique possible. When I look at the personal trainers from any of these gym's I have yet to see a single one who has a physique that I consider impressive, or a "goal physique." In fact, I have yet to see any big-gym personal trainer who has a better physique than me.

The one's who do are running their own businesses / consulting on their own and cost a heck of a lot more but will probably actually get you where you want to be.
    Last edited by 780rx; February 6th, 2018 at 08:15 AM.
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 780rx For This Useful Post:

tomekr2k (February 6th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post

Oh and also forgot to mention - when I am looking to someone for help to reach my goals, I always take a look at them first. Have they achieved what I am striving for? If not, then how the hell are they going to get me there when they can't even do it themselves? My overall goal since i began working out probably like 7 years ago (holy shit time flies) has been basically just been shooting for the best physique possible. When I look at the personal trainers from any of these gym's I have yet to see a single one who has a physique that I consider impressive, or a "goal physique." In fact, I have yet to see any big-gym personal trainer who has a better physique than me.
    I don't particularly agree with that logic. a coach doesn't need to be amazing at what he is coaching. your top coaches in most sports were never top of their league in the sports they coach and train. same goes for many Olympic trainers and many other sports.

on the same note, those who excel at what they do don't always make the best trainers/coaches.

to be a coach or trainer is a completely different mentality than that of one who is training or being coached.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blam View Post
    I don't particularly agree with that logic. a coach doesn't need to be amazing at what he is coaching. your top coaches in most sports were never top of their league in the sports they coach and train. same goes for many Olympic trainers and many other sports.

on the same note, those who excel at what they do don't always make the best trainers/coaches.

to be a coach or trainer is a completely different mentality than that of one who is training or being coached.
    I think the logic sort of breaks down at top level sports / activities. Where I'm at, I would rather get advice from someone who looks like I want to look like than some pudgy dude working at world health.

I'm not saying I entirely disagree with you cause i see what you're saying but does that also mean that you find Sarah Hoffman (who is morbidly obese) to be a suitable health minister for our province? I sure don't. In fact I think it's a joke. She has proven to not be able to take care of her own health yet we are putting her in charge of making decisions that will affect the health of others.
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

Thanks

For trainers at the gym, I would say that maybe 15% are awesome and legit and the rest are kind of there to collect a pay cheque. The thing that mainly sets them apart are their credentials. At the center club location, there's a guy there that had his kinesiology degree and was the junior provincial body building champ, still competed, etc. So, if getting big was your goal, he was THE person to go to. If anybody knew about injuries related to mass compound movements, it's probably that guy.

There are others who I'm sure are amazing at endurance training, strength training, etc., but again, only the top 15%. That job has an incredibly high turnover rate and I think you only have to pass a weekend class / test to become a trainer (obviously withstanding the interview). So, the trainers' backgrounds will be a very real determining factor if they're legit or not.

I agree with blam in that just because one can, doesn't mean they can teach which is obviously true. Everybody knows someone who's good at something but sucks at explaining things to you, but in the same vain, I think it's sort of up to the client to engage and constantly ask questions as well. Mine the information out of them sort of thing. Ask lots of questions. That way you can engage with the trainer vs having them tell you everything all the time -there's not much feedback in that example. i.e. the classic struggle between a developer trying to gather requirements to determine what the client wants vs the client being able to clearly articulate themselves to relay entirely/comprehensively what they want their vision to accomplish, achieve, and look like.

I was watching a trainer at a goodlife the other day and he was just going through the motions with his client without much engagement. If I were a trainer, I'd be educating, explaining, critiquing, etc. In that same breath, I imagine there are some people that would *hate* me as their trainer (talks too much, can't handle critique, etc.) since not everybody learns the same way.
    Last edited by the_fornicator; February 6th, 2018 at 01:26 PM. Reason: no spell good
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 829 Posts

I see both sides as well... I personally wouldn't take fitness advice from somebody that looks like Jabba-The-Hutt.

But then if you look at somebody's credentials, maybe they know exactly what they're talking about... For example; Dorian Yates. I wouldn't look twice at him passing down the street now. But in his prime... Dayum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Thanks

Looking at Freddie Roach, who would take boxing lessons from him if you didn't know who he was?

Not even going touch the whole parkinson's thing.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Thanks

Thanks a bunch guys. I have been putting together my own routines for the last three to four years from what friends have been doing, articles, online workout guides etc etc. In the last few months, I feel like I've peaked and my goal is to become bigger. Will definitely need to do some searching for trainers that have some sort of body building background. But definitely, any trainer can become "certified" overnight and start cashing in on the fitness game haha.
    The name is Zach.

Flickr

Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Fuzz View Post
    Thanks a bunch guys. I have been putting together my own routines for the last three to four years from what friends have been doing, articles, online workout guides etc etc. In the last few months, I feel like I've peaked and my goal is to become bigger. Will definitely need to do some searching for trainers that have some sort of body building background. But definitely, any trainer can become "certified" overnight and start cashing in on the fitness game haha.
    Big box gym trainers are hit and miss. Mostly miss though. Wife used to work at World Health, turns out it was a sales job not a training job. They hire you to train people, but if you don't meet a sales quota they fire you. So trainers that are personable and make clients feel good despite their results, tend to do the best and last there. The only time you find good trainers at those gyms, is when you have a good guy/gal that can't market themselves worth shit. Who the hell would allow a big corporation to pay them pennies on the dollar for the clients they bring in? When they can train people out of their house or online for zero overhead, and charge out the same rate as the gym.

If you want some references for bodybuilding trainers let me know. I was a national competitor at one time. Almost won Albertas a few years ago. I don't have any interest in training people myself any more, but I can point you in the right direction(please don't go to Full Force Fitness). Biggest thing you will need is diet not workouts. And no WH trainer will be able to help you in the slightest with diet for bodybuilding.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterMan For This Useful Post:

The_Fuzz (February 11th, 2018)