Westside Mitsubishi

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrician Required

Thanks

Default Electrician Required

I need someone to replace this disaster:

The catch is that I doubt it will be possible to get access to the breaker inside the house to kill power to the feed line. Is that even feasible?

Landlord won't do anything about it, considering how much I pay to rent the garage, I'm not surprised. I just want to be able to use 10-15amps reliably without the breaker popping because everything is corroded to shit.

Let me know

Thanks

Doing it live would be stupid, . Why wouldn't landlord let someone turn off the power?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seevik View Post
    Doing it live would be stupid, . Why wouldn't landlord let someone turn off the power?
    Hmm, I wouldn't call it "stupid", because I've had an electrician in previously that replaced the breaker and he said it wasn't against code or anything to do so with the breaker still on. That was with the previous management company though, I don't have their info.

I would say you probably don't want to hold the wires together with your hands when you pull it, but that's common sense. And its not that the landlord "won't", its getting him to come into town and allow access to the others renters property. Its just not worth his time, and I get that, it has power, it works for lighting and the occasional tool. I want it taken care of, I know it can be done, but I'm not asking for some joe-schmoe to come in and electrocute himself either.
    Last edited by HiTempguy; September 18th, 2015 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    Hmm, I wouldn't call it "stupid", because I've had an electrician in previously that replaced the breaker and he said it wasn't against code or anything to do so with the breaker still on.
    Replacing a breaker with the power still on is do able. Replacing the whole panel with a new one with a live feeder, lol. Good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2K1civic View Post
    Replacing a breaker with the power still on is do able. Replacing the whole panel with a new one with a live feeder, lol. Good luck.
    See, that's a bit more helpful. I don't really care if the whole panel is replaced, as long as I get consistent power that doesn't pop the breaker when I am way under its load ratings. I don't want anyone to do anything that isn't safe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    See, that's a bit more helpful. I don't really care if the whole panel is replaced, as long as I get consistent power that doesn't pop the breaker when I am way under its load ratings. I don't want anyone to do anything that isn't safe
    The bus bar and feeder wiring doesn't look corroded; it looks like it caught on fire. Something isn't right.

At the bare minimum, you'd need the bus bar replaced and the circuit breaker. Also, the feeder wire would have to be cut back to some place where the cable insulation isn't melted. I doubt you'll find an electrician who would do all of that work with a live feeder.

Thanks

There is some problems evident there though that should have the feeder shut off. The melted jacket on the red wire would be a start.... looks like it tried to light itself on fire at least once which is somewhat scary. You could still cut it off live provided you have enough slack on the feeder that is actually good wire to reterminate it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Badass69; September 18th, 2015 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2K1civic View Post
    The bus bar and feeder wiring doesn't look corroded; it looks like it caught on fire. Something isn't right.

At the bare minimum, you'd need the bus bar replaced and the circuit breaker. Also, the feeder wire would have to be cut back to some place where the cable insulation isn't melted. I doubt you'll find an electrician who would do all of that work with a live feeder.
    Thanks for the input, that makes a bit more sense. I might have to bug the landlord to help out a bit more with this, the breaker popping with under 10amps of load on it is a pain

Thanks

I see this kind of thing all of the time. The problem was that the screw where the red wire was connected to the bus bar became loosened (the wire hadn't been installed properly). This caused resistance in the connection, which causes heat, which melted everything to shit. The heat is what causes your breaker to prematurely trip as well. Further use of the electrical connected to this panel is not advisable as this is a fire waiting to happen.

As for replacing it live, not recommended but most certainly do-able. Tell your landlord that they need to allow access to the breaker to replace the panel, because if the garage burns down due to an electrical fire they won't get a dime from the insurance company if you were to show them your pictures of said panel.

||| Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. |||