Ming Shine

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plumber - HWT Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Rice View Post
    Bump. My tank had issues last month, hot water outlet was clogged, no pressure. Fixed that, and now the pilot won't stay light. Replaced the thermocouple and still no dice. Tank is 16 years old so time to replace. Anyone have any recommedations? Leaning towards buying one from Home Depot and getting them to install but looking for other sources.

Action Furnace has a $999 installed 40 Gallon, Bradford White unit but only 5 year warranty on the tank.
    All tanks are 5 years on the tank. But the tank (vessel) isn't usually the problem; its the components attached to it like the blower, limit switches, gas valves etc.. fail. That's the shit that breaks and when it does, its expensive. I just had to replace the blower assembly on my tank and I used my contractor to get me the best price on the part and his cost was 385 bucks. My cost was 480. I replaced it myself because I'm just that awesome. For the record, my tank is only 5 years old. I called the manufacturer and they told me the warranty was only for 1 year on the components which pissed me off!!

R.K.
    My answer/post, always overrides noobs and members here less time than me.

Quote Originally Posted by RADRIDE View Post
    All tanks are 5 years on the tank. But the tank (vessel) isn't usually the problem; its the components attached to it like the blower, limit switches, gas valves etc.. fail. That's the shit that breaks and when it does, its expensive. I just had to replace the blower assembly on my tank and I used my contractor to get me the best price on the part and his cost was 385 bucks. My cost was 480. I replaced it myself because I'm just that awesome. For the record, my tank is only 5 years old. I called the manufacturer and they told me the warranty was only for 1 year on the components which pissed me off!!

R.K.
    I'm guessing you have a Power Vent tank, mine is basic atmospheric vent.

Had the dip tube in ours replaced, turned out to be a waste because the thing ruptured last sept and was pissing water all over the floor. A friend of my dad's did his a few years back so he did ours as well. Got a Rheem 40 GAL, was $500 for the tank and $200 for installation plus he took the old one with him.

I'm guessing you have a Power Vent tank, mine is basic atmospheric vent.
    You are correct.

R.K.
    My answer/post, always overrides noobs and members here less time than me.

Anyone have any other suggestions on plumber to use? Went to Home Depot to inquire and they sub-contract their installs to Friesens. $425 for delivery/install and removal of old tank and on weekends its an additional $65 on top.That's a bit steep as the tank itself is $630 and the reviews online for Friesens aren't very good. Looking on Kijiji but hard to tell who is decent and who isn't.

Looking for someone that is fully licensed, bonded, and has insurance and warranty and has reviews online. So far best ad I've seen is $199 Installed from KMS Plumbing on Kijiji but he hasn't responded to my emails yet.
    Last edited by DJ Rice; January 18th, 2017 at 02:49 PM.

When I have having issues with my tanks I called several companies and a few of them all lead to the same call center, and 3 of the independent plumbers couldn't even be bothered to return my phone messages. So i said screw it and between Best Plumbing and Lighting and Rona I bought all the parts I needed it did it myself.

However when I ranted at best plumbing and lighting they did had me a business card and said he was recommended if I decided to try and give someone else a try. I never did call him but the information best plumbing gave me was...

WH Mechanical
    Wally
    780-862-5266
    Model View Caffeine

Anyone have any other suggestions on plumber to use? Went to Home Depot to inquire and they sub-contract their installs to Friesens. $425 for delivery/install and removal of old tank and on weekends its an additional $65 on top.That's a bit steep as the tank itself is $630 and the reviews online for Friesens aren't very good. Looking on Kijiji but hard to tell who is decent and who isn't.

Looking for someone that is fully licensed, bonded, and has insurance and warranty and has reviews online. So far best ad I've seen is $199 Installed from KMS Plumbing on Kijiji but he hasn't responded to my emails yet.
    I would suggest staying away from KMS based on a previous estimate from him.

Quote Originally Posted by R-S-P View Post
    I would suggest staying away from KMS based on a previous estimate from him.

I ended up just going through Home Depot and Friesens. KMS didn't even respond back from me. Must not want to work and I found out most of his online reviews, are all family/friend reviews so not legit customers.