Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't figure something out.

Default Can't figure something out.

I've been having a problem with my Z lately. When it sits for more than a day, it acts like the battery is dead, but it's not. When you go to start it, it makes that clicking sound like it's dead, but after a few tries, it starts to crank and will eventually start. Battery is less than a year old, alternator was just replaced and so was the starter relay. Anything I'm missing here?

So... it's a 280 or a 300zx twin turbo, or a Z33, or a Datsun, or a????
    Anyway, are you sure it's that classic "dead battery" clicking noise, or, is it a grinding like gears not meshing? That grinding could be a broken tooth on a ring gear. I assume that's a thing in a Z. I had it in a couple of cars years ago.

^ amateur. He narrowed it down almost guaranteed to the exact car in that post.

Z + problem = Z32 VG30DETT 300zx. The only thing i'm not sure of is if it's an auto or not, but i'd say 75% chance it's an auto.

If it's not battery almost sounds like your starter is crapping out. If it wasn't a 300zx I'd say go with the simple solutions first like you have corrosion on the terminals, but who knows with those things. We need more info too, like does it actually start fine if you turn it off and start it again once you got it fired up the first time?

P.S. In before the 300zx fanboys say they never have problems.

Actually his avatar and username give it away

Simple things first...

battery voltage at rest and during cranking.
    Pull and clean terminals and connectors.
    Ensure the starter terminal lead isn't broken or cracked and about to fall off the positive connector

Then check the starter connectors and the ground lead running to the transmission top bolt
    My Zs ARE HYBRIDS, THEY RUN ON GASOLINE AND MONEY

Quote Originally Posted by vorpalz View Post
    Actually his avatar and username give it away
    Avatar is not visible on Mobile Mode. As for the name, please tell me what AudiInProgress and DieselDakota drive, again?

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    Avatar is not visible on Mobile Mode. As for the name, please tell me what AudiInProgress and DieselDakota drive, again?
    AudiInProgress drives a ram but has an Audi in progress.

DieselDakota drives a diesel powered dakota.
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

So terminals are good, coated with corrosion preventer. It's a '94 RHD 300zx N/A Auto. Battery voltage at rest is 12v I'll have to check while it's cranking but it's normal while running too.

It starts fine after the first time, every time unless it sits for more than a day. And it's definitely the classic dead battery noise not any kind of grinding. I'll have to check all the wires running to the starter tomorrow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when a starter goes bad I'm pretty sure it won't make a clicking sound, it just won't crank. Had one go out once before on another car and this doesn't seem like that.
    Last edited by JDMZ32; June 6th, 2016 at 10:40 PM.

A bad starter could show those symptoms. You know a guy that can troubleshoot this for you. And he knows a guy who can change the starter if you can't yourself.
    Originally posted by Wookey
    Im pretty sure Chris has built more, raced/driven more faster cars then 99.9% of the people here. he can be a shit disturber but he brings in good points.

Chuckle... and a guy with a username JDMZ32 posting about a problem in the Z forum (despite the fact I know the guy) is a pretty sure bet they're running some form of 90-96 300ZX which have the same starter/battery setup across models and regions. Sorry about the lack of visuals in mobile mode, the internetz can be hard
    My Zs ARE HYBRIDS, THEY RUN ON GASOLINE AND MONEY