Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't figure something out.

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    His wife owned one. Low km stock too from what I remember. Engine blew up and other problems
    chuckle, yeah, third hand, hazy, unverified anecdotal drive-by statement FTMFW. Of course all twin turbo Z32s are completely unreliable, fire-bombs ready to explode at a moments notice.

I call user error.
    Last edited by vorpalz; June 12th, 2016 at 10:33 PM.
    My Zs ARE HYBRIDS, THEY RUN ON GASOLINE AND MONEY

Of course it's user error. Everyone knows to actually back a z32 off your driveway and dare to move it down an actual street under it's own power is a great error on the owner's part.

Just because they're more reliable than a DSM doesn't mean they're actually reliable.

Agreed , they are more reliable than a DSM. Then again, the
    Challenger shuttle had a better safety record than any Eagle Melon.

see crank walk
    walk crank walk

Crawled underneath today, no corrosion to speak of and no loose wires so guessing it's the starter. Fingers crossed that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by vorpalz View Post
    chuckle, yeah, third hand, hazy, unverified anecdotal drive-by statement FTMFW. Of course all twin turbo Z32s are completely unreliable, fire-bombs ready to explode at a moments notice.

I call user error.

Cars don't get bad reputations because they're awesome.

There are certainly some design flaws that make them more prone to failure than other vehicles of the same era.

Would that stop me from owning one? Not necessarily.

Case in point... (and you guys just finished poking fun at DSM's) I STILL want to one-day own a Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT VR4.

I know it will be a headache, even if I find a pristine example.

But you obviously love your Z32, hence why you own one, and continue to keep up with maintenance - preventative or otherwise.

Your car runs, great. Great. Good for you. But you're an atypical specimen. A

As I've said before, most people on 780Tuna's are 1000x better than your typical consumer. Even the noob who just joined asking for help.

Your tpyical ricer picking up a Z32 off Kijiji or whatever, with zero mechanical inclination, because they think it's going to impress their 16 year old girlfriend, (or boyfriends, whatever)... Is going to be buying a piece of junk, and if they're loaded and manage to buy a nice one, they're going to turn it into a piece of junk.

That's probably not the case if they go and buy something like a Genesis, or BRZ/FRS, or whatever other small sports cars there are these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Er, that's not what we were talking about but thanks for sharing.

the 'drive by' ancedote was along the lines of:

my facebook friend's sister's grocer's dog walker's third cousin had a Chrysler 300 (in b4 all the h8rs!!!!!! woohoo!) that the engine blew up and numerous other problems that I can't possibly enumerate because it would involve actually posting factual information but by golly, we all know those cars are crap. EmIRite?!??!

- In the forum dedicated to these cars

- in response to a post for a guy looking for basic help (battery cable and starter FFS)

And you wonder why this forum is dying.

ive owned more z32s than you, so does that mean you're the drive by guy? If you need a car to 'drive by' cuz your z32 doesn't run I can lend you one of my more reliable rotaries.

If they were such good cars why do we have more threads about troubleshooting than any other car since the last dsm owner on this site went bankrupt and had their internet turned off?

chuckle, no, 'drive by' refers to 'drive by shooting' which is about what you did with your unhelpful comment.

My cars all run fine, thanks for the offer.

From my experience, the only people having troubles with z32s are those who have no mechanical abilities whatsoever. I've owned z32s since I was 16, and sure, things break down but that's expected with a car that's 25 years old now. Fix issues as they arise and do preventative maintenance and you'll have little to no problems. They are nowhere near as unreliable as Zhao is making them out to be.

edit: to the op, have someone try to crank the car while you tap the starter with a hammer.
    Built > Bought