Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What in the wtfbbq

makes me wonder why there are all these god damn random strips ripped out on ellerslie, they literally just finished the damn roads

Because the contractor likely screwed up the compaction of the subgrade and/or gravel, and as such, the road is now prematurely failing. It is actually pretty difficult to get 98-100% compaction of the subsurface and takes manipulation of the granular material with water to get it just right. It is a really fine line.

You might not feel it when driving [yet] but the engineering consultant will walk the newly paved road when it is coming up to the end of its warranty period (1 or 2 years, depends). The repairs then fall on the contractor to fix the road properly, and not the tax payers, as is being suggested.

I know everyone complains about Edmonton roads, but it really is a product of our climate. -30 temperatures are extremely hard on the roads, and frost penetrates very deep into the ground. You can't even look at Germany in comparison, because their temperatures are much more mild in comparison. It's considered blistering cold if it hits -10 there. On the other hand, Iceland uses gravel roads for their highways, because of the blistering temperatures they get hit with. Asphalt doesn't last long there.

Germany doesn't necessarily spec better roads, or have better construction methods. Edmonton engineers go to conferences around NA for this kind of stuff and they do put down the best product they can, as far as their budget allows. Sure, you can come up with a surface that lasts 10% longer, but it is significantly more costly to do so. Are you willing to pay for it?

Also, pretty much every road gets an overlay done and it is budgeted into the cost of the road, right from the get go. As already mentioned, you let the first layer to take the beating and whatever cracks/dips/bumps that occur in the first 2 years, then you come back and put a skim coat down. Depending on the type of road, it can be as thin as 30mm. Generally about 50mm. And can be as much as 80mm.

Thickness can also vary. They try to put down an even layer, but it can be +/- 10mm. It's the nature of building roads.

And the dead shall rise

Quote Originally Posted by 6-Speed View Post
    I know everyone complains about Edmonton roads, but it really is a product of our climate. -30 temperatures are extremely hard on the roads, and frost penetrates very deep into the ground. You can't even look at Germany in comparison, because their temperatures are much more mild in comparison. It's considered blistering cold if it hits -10 there. On the other hand, Iceland uses gravel roads for their highways, because of the blistering temperatures they get hit with. Asphalt doesn't last long there.
    Can you explain why, then, in neighborhoods where my parent's grew up have had the same pavement for the last 40+ years and it's just starting to get potholes and such. I've seen newer roads (paved within the last 10 years) in similar condition after about 4-5 years.

I got a question, wtf happened with the henday by 111st to cameron heights, that's easily the biggest fuckjob of a road ever built, rest of the henday is fine, but that section has lines all the way down it, looks like it was put in slabs, totally uneven, it's really trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    I got a question, wtf happened with the henday by 111st to cameron heights, that's easily the biggest fuckjob of a road ever built, rest of the henday is fine, but that section has lines all the way down it, looks like it was put in slabs, totally uneven, it's really trash.
    Isn't that the concrete section? the lines are for water drainage and traction... There's a huge section from ya about 111th to about Rabbit Hill road that sucks.. the noise and vibration sound/feel like I have a flat when driving there.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverNeonRacer View Post
    Isn't that the concrete section? the lines are for water drainage and traction... There's a huge section from ya about 111th to about Rabbit Hill road that sucks.. the noise and vibration sound/feel like I have a flat when driving there.
    Try towing an empty trailer (even a loaded one) over it. Bring a kidney belt

As to Driven's question, because the jerkoff engineering consultant/company hired thought it new better and went with concrete, or the even dumber city/province officials had someone tell them concrete was better (and it NEVER has been and NEVER will be in cold climates) and they went with that.

I've been down it with my 18' flat deck trailer.. couldn't tell much difference empty/loaded/no trailer.. I would imagine in a rig it would be, um, "entertaining"