Certified

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting sub yet again

Thanks

Default Troubleshooting sub yet again

So last year during CAGW I picked up a smaller sub to make more room for things like strollers in my primary vehicle. Since then it has been nothing but problems. After about 2 weeks the amp went into protect mode and after checking grounds and rechecking grounds and checking positive lines nothing I did could get it out of protection mode.

Pulled the amp out and realized the belly had surface rust. The shop that had installed it mounted it directly to the carpet underneath the drivers seat. So I considered it lost and bought a new amp (XC6120) and finally went through the effort this weekend to get everything back in and operating.

Made a custom new mounting plate to bring the new amp off the carpet and minimized contact with the carpet. Mounted everything up, tested the wiring again and fired it all up on Saturday and ran some quick tests. This morning made it part way to work and it cut out again. Power led is still lit up and I don't see any warning leds but not sure if this model has any like the old one I took out.

Looking for any additional suggestions before I fold and pay for someone to go over it.
    Model View Caffeine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,266 Times in 825 Posts

Well... If you've only started having problems since buying/installing a new sub... Have you tried using a different sub? Rather than scratching your head and thinking it's an amplifier mounting problem, or buying/swapping amps... It makes more sense to swap the sub.

Maybe the new sub you bought has too low (or too high) impedance? Maybe you wired it up wrong in the box?
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Thanks

See if the sub even works, use a 9v battery on the leads for a moment to see if it pushes /pulls. If it does, id check for signal from the rca. It's not uncommon to have one let go. My 2 cents.
    Wow...the first AE86 I've seen in a while that doesn't have retarded camber and owned by a hipster. Good job on keeping it clean! Looks great
    9.85 @ 146mph @ Castrol. stock wheelbase, arrow pipe.

http://www.facebook.com/RepublicRacing <-- Like my racing teams page!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    Well... If you've only started having problems since buying/installing a new sub... Have you tried using a different sub? Rather than scratching your head and thinking it's an amplifier mounting problem, or buying/swapping amps... It makes more sense to swap the sub.

Maybe the new sub you bought has too low (or too high) impedance? Maybe you wired it up wrong in the box?
    Old ones are two 10in subs that were in parallel, new one is a pre-boxed JL dual voice coil with the same resistance. Putting in the old subs was the first thing I had done when this started happening previously, since I'm at work now I have not been able to try that yet today as I still have them stashed away.

Quote Originally Posted by nismomaniak View Post
    See if the sub even works, use a 9v battery on the leads for a moment to see if it pushes /pulls. If it does, id check for signal from the rca. It's not uncommon to have one let go. My 2 cents.
    I validated the RCA cables previously and by passed them with shiny new cables but that doesn't mean something has not happened since.

I also just re-read the online manual and there are 4 speaker contact points. It does suggest for a single speaker to use the left and right most contacts, i'll need to double check that I might have used left and left.
    Model View Caffeine

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Izerous For This Useful Post:

AudiInProgress (August 8th, 2016)

Thanks

You can do that without removing the sub with the 9v method
    Wow...the first AE86 I've seen in a while that doesn't have retarded camber and owned by a hipster. Good job on keeping it clean! Looks great
    9.85 @ 146mph @ Castrol. stock wheelbase, arrow pipe.

http://www.facebook.com/RepublicRacing <-- Like my racing teams page!

Thanks

Rising my own thread from the dead. Have seriously been unmotivated to fix this as it is just a reminder of frustration and well been simply busy with this low on the priority list. Now that I have a place with a garage (unheated) and the weather has been nicer it been warm enough in the garage to dedicate some time to this.

So what I figured out the past few days...
    -Main 60A fuse was blown
    -2x30A fuses on the amp blown
    -The dual voice coil 10in JL sub reads out at 0Ω when I check the terminals. I believe this means the sub shorted itself out?
    -Ground and all of that still seems to be ok
    -RCA cables still seem to be ok

So because the JL sub was reading 0Ω I put the dual 10in subs I still have laying around back in, changed the wiring up to 2 separate subs in parallel from the dual voice coil setup and it has some life but is in protection mode. I don't quite understand what it is doing though and maybe someone more familiar might have an idea so recorded a quick video clip instead of trying to explain it. I'm not sure if the number of flashed mean anything specifically

the status/protection led is the one in the middle of the amp. The 2 lights on the left are the fuses, not sure if being light up ones are causing and additional problems but they happened to be the only good 30A fuses I had laying around.

I removed the signal wire after recording this so it doesn't try to keep power cycling like this when I go to work in the morning.
    Last edited by Izerous; March 25th, 2018 at 11:15 PM.
    Model View Caffeine

Thanks

the location of my amp in my truck causes a ton of dust and debris to fall onto it, my amp has failed twice going into protection mode, tried everything, fuses, wiring, everything is all good, took the amp apart so the casing is off and all you have is the circuit board, totally caked with dust and debris causing it to malfunction, used a tooth brush and some brake cleaner (computer duster would prob be better) cleaned it all up, works no problem.
    Last edited by md.; March 26th, 2018 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks

The install location is under the drivers seat so it is pretty well protected from general debris but not dust, the first amp they installed right on the carpet and it got wet. So I did build a shelf to lift it off the floor a bit and this is no longer the original amp they installed.

I had a thought this morning and I won't be able to try it till probably tomorrow but the dual sub box reads out at about 3.7Ω / sub not a full 4Ω. Amp being rated for 2Ω minimum means having them in parallel on this amp brings be down to (3.7/2) = 1.85Ω would it be that sensitive to the 2Ω limit?
    Model View Caffeine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,266 Times in 825 Posts

Can you draw a wiring diagram?

Your 10 inch subs, they're what? Single coil? Dual coil? What impedance? 2 ohm? 4 ohm?
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.