Blackout

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 64 to 72 of 134

Thread: Thinking about buying my first home

  1. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fort Sask/Texas/?
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    The builder we are looking to build with includes something a step below what California closets returned on google, wish I had taken a picture. Something like:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...78d008a928.jpg
    Or
    http://karlebhomes.com/images/1798tw...y/IMG_6090.jpg

    Where as the wire ones are like
    http://www.asdspecialties.com/img/it...e_shelving.jpg

    Then drawer quality is fairly obvious when comparing, the cheaper stuff is flimsy and cheap, like bends if you put presssure on it. Where as the stuff the builder includes is very sturdy and quality feeling in comparison as well as all soft close.

    Yes I do I know I don't really know what the cost of these are throughout the house, hence why I am asking.

    Garage extension is pretty self explanatory, if we build we are getting the garage built larger, there is nothing complicated about that.

  2. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldakota View Post
    The builder we are looking to build with includes something a step below what California closets returned on google, wish I had taken a picture. Something like:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...78d008a928.jpg
    Or
    http://karlebhomes.com/images/1798tw...y/IMG_6090.jpg

    Where as the wire ones are like
    http://www.asdspecialties.com/img/it...e_shelving.jpg

    Then drawer quality is fairly obvious when comparing, the cheaper stuff is flimsy and cheap, like bends if you put presssure on it. Where as the stuff the builder includes is very sturdy and quality feeling in comparison as well as all soft close.

    Yes I do I know I don't really know what the cost of these are throughout the house, hence why I am asking.

    Garage extension is pretty self explanatory, if we build we are getting the garage built larger, there is nothing complicated about that.
    (I couldn't get the cheapo link to work)...

    OK, well, I could be wrong. I'm not saying you're poor, but the theme of some of your posts makes it sound like you're looking for Wagyu tenderloin and caviar while dining at The Keg.
    Again, I said The Keg, not the buffet line at Ikea.
    The cost of some of these nice-to-have additions will spiral out of control very quickly.

    Then again - maybe I'm mixing you up with another dude! I'm too lazy to look.

  3. #66

    Default

    Here's what my concerns were and some points for discussion.

    1) The average double car duplex listed on the market (which are all new, never lived in) goes for probably 340k. The highest is listed at 365k and has 300 more sq. ft. than what OP is looking at. Floor plan is irrelevant because good / bad is subjective so sq. footage is a far better comparison. These are list prices so they realistically sell for 15-20k less so the absolute most expensive duplex in Ft. Sask right now (and likely ever) sold by a builder is right around the 350k mark. OP is looking at spending up to 390k, possibly more by the sounds of it, which may be slightly negotiable but as a custom home, would be less negotiable than an already finished duplex. So say it sells for even 380k, you effectively have the most expensive duplex in the city by over 10%.

    2) OP has mentioned that resale is a concern. The big garage will get you next to nothing in resale. At best it is a selling feature. It is not what your typical duplex buyer has as a want or a need in their budget house. Also not mentioned, was that this lot is either beside or backs on to a car dealership. OP has said that he doesn't care but in resale, this is exactly what a buyer would pick out, especially when it would undoubtedly be the most expensive duplex on the market. The builders aren't stupid and they know that people aren't willing to pay much more than 340 for a duplex, and thats why they build them to price in the range that they do.

    3) Price per sq. ft. Spending 380k on 1450 sq ft of livable space makes for over 260$/ sq ft which has to be among the most expensive square footage in the city and it is in a duplex! Duplexes should offer better value per sq. ft. because the builder is essentially building 1 house (1 foundation pour, 1 material order etc) and selling 2 products.

    4) The purpose of buying a duplex is to be cost effective. If you are upgrading it to the point where you could just buy a single family home for the same price that is already landscaped and has some sweat equity in it, why are you buying a duplex? There are houses on the market for 400k that are plenty nice and offer much better value ($/sq.ft) and aren't even duplexes. You could even pump in 10-20k more and have a decently upgraded single family home that doesn't back onto a car lot. It's like buying a mitsu lancer and dumping so much money into it to make it like an EVO that you could have just bought the god damn EVO.

    5) Building a custom duplex is unheard of because a) the logical upgrade long before dumping 400k into a 1/2 house would be to go to a singe family home and b) you never find 2 people that get together and want to buy a duplex at 260$/sq.ft. Builders love duplexes because as mentioned, they essentially build 1 house and profit twice off of it. When you took this idea to the builder, they are laughing their ass off because of how much money they are going to make.

    There are nice 2 car duplexes listed for 365 with similar sq. footage in WINDERMERE. They will likely sell for 345ish. Let that sink in, then consider the fact that you want to spend 390k:
    -on a duplex
    -in fort saskatchewan
    -backing on to a car dealership
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

  4. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    Here's what my concerns were and some points for discussion.

    1) The average double car duplex listed on the market (which are all new, never lived in) goes for probably 340k. The highest is listed at 365k and has 300 more sq. ft. than what OP is looking at. Floor plan is irrelevant because good / bad is subjective so sq. footage is a far better comparison. These are list prices so they realistically sell for 15-20k less so the absolute most expensive duplex in Ft. Sask right now (and likely ever) sold by a builder is right around the 350k mark. OP is looking at spending up to 390k, possibly more by the sounds of it, which may be slightly negotiable but as a custom home, would be less negotiable than an already finished duplex. So say it sells for even 380k, you effectively have the most expensive duplex in the city by over 10%.

    2) OP has mentioned that resale is a concern. The big garage will get you next to nothing in resale. At best it is a selling feature. It is not what your typical duplex buyer has as a want or a need in their budget house. Also not mentioned, was that this lot is either beside or backs on to a car dealership. OP has said that he doesn't care but in resale, this is exactly what a buyer would pick out, especially when it would undoubtedly be the most expensive duplex on the market. The builders aren't stupid and they know that people aren't willing to pay much more than 340 for a duplex, and thats why they build them to price in the range that they do.

    3) Price per sq. ft. Spending 380k on 1450 sq ft of livable space makes for over 260$/ sq ft which has to be among the most expensive square footage in the city and it is in a duplex! Duplexes should offer better value per sq. ft. because the builder is essentially building 1 house (1 foundation pour, 1 material order etc) and selling 2 products.

    4) The purpose of buying a duplex is to be cost effective. If you are upgrading it to the point where you could just buy a single family home for the same price that is already landscaped and has some sweat equity in it, why are you buying a duplex? There are houses on the market for 400k that are plenty nice and offer much better value ($/sq.ft) and aren't even duplexes. You could even pump in 10-20k more and have a decently upgraded single family home that doesn't back onto a car lot. It's like buying a mitsu lancer and dumping so much money into it to make it like an EVO that you could have just bought the god damn EVO.

    5) Building a custom duplex is unheard of because a) the logical upgrade long before dumping 400k into a 1/2 house would be to go to a singe family home and b) you never find 2 people that get together and want to buy a duplex at 260$/sq.ft. Builders love duplexes because as mentioned, they essentially build 1 house and profit twice off of it. When you took this idea to the builder, they are laughing their ass off because of how much money they are going to make.

    There are nice 2 car duplexes listed for 365 with similar sq. footage in WINDERMERE. They will likely sell for 345ish. Let that sink in, then consider the fact that you want to spend 390k:
    -on a duplex
    -in fort saskatchewan
    -backing on to a car dealership
    So many good points up here^.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldakota View Post
    Garage extension is pretty self explanatory, if we build we are getting the garage built larger, there is nothing complicated about that.
    It is going to get complicated if you think you can plug a 22'x30' garage in a half-duplex that was designed for a 20'x20'. That is 65% more garage.

  5. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB.
    Posts
    2,514

    Default

    If you really want garage space, why not consider a lane home? You lose a backyard, but in my neighborhood, lots of lane homes with custom garages. The owners are basically pushing them as far as the lot will allow and almost right up to the steps of the back door.

    I bought my house in January, and was looking at a bunch of duplexes. Truth be told, I'm glad I spent the extra cash just to get a house rather than a duplex, and most duplexes have standards sized garages, sometimes a bit smaller width wise.
    Last edited by Bluestreak; April 4th, 2017 at 10:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeDragon
    Everyone loves Clem, if you don't then you support the terrorists ... and kicking puppies.

    2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (DD)
    1998 GMC Sierra 4x4 (Workhorse)

  6. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fort Sask/Texas/?
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    (I couldn't get the cheapo link to work)...
    OK, well, I could be wrong. I'm not saying you're poor, but the theme of some of your posts makes it sound like you're looking for Wagyu tenderloin and caviar while dining at The Keg.
    Again, I said The Keg, not the buffet line at Ikea.
    The cost of some of these nice-to-have additions will spiral out of control very quickly.

    Then again - maybe I'm mixing you up with another dude! I'm too lazy to look.
    I'm not poor by any means, since last January I've increased my savings for a down payment from 25-30k to 105k as of right now and that is with 9k spent on a new skidoo as well.
    I'm not looking for super high end stuff but I don't want cheap junk.
    I've had a couple friends how recently built, both went with volume builders and had quiet a few complaints about dealing with them. both also built 2300-2600 square foot homes when they only live with their gf or wife with no intention of having kids, that kinda square footage seems extremely wasteful not to mention alot to clean as well as the extra property taxes and utility costs when only two people are living there.
    I'd personally have something smaller thats suited to me, I just still want alot of the same luxuries that come with a larger place. mainly a garage large enough to work on my projects and in the case of this 22X30 foot one we are talking about I'd still likely be able to park my dd in there while working on a project. I also want a nice kitchen and a smart layout.
    Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    Here's what my concerns were and some points for discussion.

    1) The average double car duplex listed on the market (which are all new, never lived in) goes for probably 340k. The highest is listed at 365k and has 300 more sq. ft. than what OP is looking at. Floor plan is irrelevant because good / bad is subjective so sq. footage is a far better comparison. These are list prices so they realistically sell for 15-20k less so the absolute most expensive duplex in Ft. Sask right now (and likely ever) sold by a builder is right around the 350k mark. OP is looking at spending up to 390k, possibly more by the sounds of it, which may be slightly negotiable but as a custom home, would be less negotiable than an already finished duplex. So say it sells for even 380k, you effectively have the most expensive duplex in the city by over 10%.
    you say average duplex price but you've only based this off of the two duplexs I checked out and what I told you about them. They both had quite a few issues and I'm sure there has to be nicer duplexs on the market. One minute just down the road there are double double duplexs listed at 500k plus that are aimed for older folks.
    you are basing this entirely on a small piece of information that I gave you. there are a couple nice double doubles on the same street, they weren't for sale so I have no idea what they are like maybe they are far nicer than the ones I checked out and sold for more.
    That being said all solid points, I agree I don't want to have the most expensive duplex on the market the other option would be going to a volume builder and having them build something similar that would be potentially considerably cheaper.

    Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    2) OP has mentioned that resale is a concern. The big garage will get you next to nothing in resale. At best it is a selling feature. It is not what your typical duplex buyer has as a want or a need in their budget house. Also not mentioned, was that this lot is either beside or backs on to a car dealership. OP has said that he doesn't care but in resale, this is exactly what a buyer would pick out, especially when it would undoubtedly be the most expensive duplex on the market. The builders aren't stupid and they know that people aren't willing to pay much more than 340 for a duplex, and thats why they build them to price in the range that they do.
    I agree about the garage for resale, however I'm more than willing to pay 10k to have a much larger garage for the duration that I live there, take the 10k for the garage out of the picture for future arguments if you want. Also solid point about the car dealer but its the only remaining lots in the fort that would really work for what we want. once again not the most expensive duplex in the city although the much more expensive ones are targeted at a different population, old people vs starter families.

    Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    3) Price per sq. ft. Spending 380k on 1450 sq ft of livable space makes for over 260$/ sq ft which has to be among the most expensive square footage in the city and it is in a duplex! Duplexes should offer better value per sq. ft. because the builder is essentially building 1 house (1 foundation pour, 1 material order etc) and selling 2 products.
    I don't disagree.

    Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    4) The purpose of buying a duplex is to be cost effective. If you are upgrading it to the point where you could just buy a single family home for the same price that is already landscaped and has some sweat equity in it, why are you buying a duplex? There are houses on the market for 400k that are plenty nice and offer much better value ($/sq.ft) and aren't even duplexes. You could even pump in 10-20k more and have a decently upgraded single family home that doesn't back onto a car lot. It's like buying a mitsu lancer and dumping so much money into it to make it like an EVO that you could have just bought the god damn EVO.
    once again I don't disagree and I know where you are coming from. that being said:
    1 I don't need 2000+ square feet for myself
    2 increased taxes and utility costs for more square footage on a single family home
    3 I would like to potentially rent it out in the future, you don't really rent single family homes where you do with duplexs.
    4 what about building a race car that never sees the track let alone the street?
    I'd say young guys buying large single family homes would be comparable to people buying trucks and never using it to do truck things.
    where as I realize I only need a small DD but I don't want a base ford focus I want a fully loaded one.

    Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    5) Building a custom duplex is unheard of because a) the logical upgrade long before dumping 400k into a 1/2 house would be to go to a singe family home and b) you never find 2 people that get together and want to buy a duplex at 260$/sq.ft. Builders love duplexes because as mentioned, they essentially build 1 house and profit twice off of it. When you took this idea to the builder, they are laughing their ass off because of how much money they are going to make.
    Unheard of? Our builder started with the plan he used for the last custom duplex he built. Unfortunately I have no idea how much money they would make off us, and I would like to know.

    Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    There are nice 2 car duplexes listed for 365 with similar sq. footage in WINDERMERE. They will likely sell for 345ish. Let that sink in, then consider the fact that you want to spend 390k:
    -on a duplex
    -in fort saskatchewan
    -backing on to a car dealership
    Is windermere a nice neighborhood or something?
    #RAM

  7. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fort Sask/Texas/?
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    So many good points up here^.


    It is going to get complicated if you think you can plug a 22'x30' garage in a half-duplex that was designed for a 20'x20'. That is 65% more garage.
    its really simple, just push the house back farther since the building pocket will allow it, nothing complicated at all
    #RAM

  8. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,487

    Default

    Edit: apparently I was too slow, and diesel already refuted everything for himself.

    Diesel has seen my garage, it's awesome, and if you ever want to see inside my place - by all means, drop by.
    Last edited by AudiInProgress; April 4th, 2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

  9. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fort Sask/Texas/?
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
    If you really want garage space, why not consider a lane home? You lose a backyard, but in my neighborhood, lots of lane homes with custom garages. The owners are basically pushing them as far as the lot will allow and almost right up to the steps of the back door.

    I bought my house in January, and was looking at a bunch of duplexes. Truth be told, I'm glad I spent the extra cash just to get a house rather than a duplex, and most duplexes have standards sized garages, sometimes a bit smaller width wise.
    maybe not a bad idea, It would depend on how large the garage would be, you also probably end up fighting over street parking a fair bit though.
    ya the double duplexs shoved on smaller build pockets have squeezed garages, like 18 or even 17 feet wide.
    #RAM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •