Raczer

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about buying my first home

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    Edit: apparently I was too slow, and diesel already refuted everything for himself.

Diesel has seen my garage, it's awesome, and if you ever want to see inside my place - by all means, drop by.
    I liked your response, should have left it. I would be interested in taking a look but I'll be out of town for the next month.
    I'm not trying to argue that I'm right by any means I just want to hear a bunch of people's opinions and help convince me wether I'm being an idiot or if I'm actually making a somewhat resonable decision
    #RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldakota View Post
    maybe not a bad idea, It would depend on how large the garage would be, you also probably end up fighting over street parking a fair bit though.
    ya the double duplexs shoved on smaller build pockets have squeezed garages, like 18 or even 17 feet wide.

Unless the lane homes face the sides or alleyway instead of other homes... then you have parking on the other side no issue. My house is like that, I face the mailbox and the side of the lane home section and the alley. Room for at least 8 vehicles and my street is full. Only my truck and my neighbors truck are parked there. One of the main reasons I bought where I did.

Lane homes are still starter for the most part, but easily the layouts are better than they were in 2005ish. I saw at least a dozen lane homes before I settled on my current house. Tiny backyard, but at least you can get flexibility for the garage. You night not get it out to 26 feet wide, and I think 24 is a stretch, but depending on the depth of the lot to your back door, that part at least is up to you... barring any stupid neighborhood guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeDragon
    Everyone loves Clem, if you don't then you support the terrorists ... and kicking puppies.

2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (DD)
    1998 GMC Sierra 4x4 (Workhorse)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
    Unless the lane homes face the sides or alleyway instead of other homes... then you have parking on the other side no issue. My house is like that, I face the mailbox and the side of the lane home section and the alley. Room for at least 8 vehicles and my street is full. Only my truck and my neighbors truck are parked there. One of the main reasons I bought where I did.

Lane homes are still starter for the most part, but easily the layouts are better than they were in 2005ish. I saw at least a dozen lane homes before I settled on my current house. Tiny backyard, but at least you can get flexibility for the garage. You night not get it out to 26 feet wide, and I think 24 is a stretch, but depending on the depth of the lot to your back door, that part at least is up to you... barring any stupid neighborhood guidelines.
    that would be alot better with a corner lot. I wouldn't be surprised if the fort Saskatchewan neighborhoods had some guidelines restricting the garage.
    #RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldakota View Post
    you say average duplex price but you've only based this off of the two duplexs I checked out and what I told you about them. They both had quite a few issues and I'm sure there has to be nicer duplexs on the market. One minute just down the road there are double double duplexs listed at 500k plus that are aimed for older folks. you are basing this entirely on a small piece of information that I gave you. there are a couple nice double doubles on the same street, they weren't for sale so I have no idea what they are like maybe they are far nicer than the ones I checked out and sold for more.

This is based off of all the duplexes that have come up on the market over the last year and a half because I have been closely watching the market for a long time and still do. 500k for a duplex is absolutely retarded so I have no clue what that is all about

That being said all solid points, I agree I don't want to have the most expensive duplex on the market the other option would be going to a volume builder and having them build something similar that would be potentially considerably cheaper.

once again I don't disagree and I know where you are coming from. that being said:
    1 I don't need 2000+ square feet for myself Then get a smaller single family home and pay even less
    2 increased taxes and utility costs for more square footage on a single family home Tax is based of your assessed property value so if they assess your duplex at 400k then that is another reason why it's a bad idea. Conversely, if they assess it at much less, you gotta question why you're paying 390 for a house that is being assessed at 300
    3 I would like to potentially rent it out in the future, you don't really rent single family homes where you do with duplexs. You can rent out whatever you want. For a duplex, maybe 1200-1400 a month for a <2000 ft house maybe 1500-1800,
    so between 25 and 30% more a month for your single family than your duplex when if you picked up a single family for even 410, you are paying less than 8% more for the house. The economics of a 380k duplex don't work in anyones favor but the builders

4 what about building a race car that never sees the track let alone the street? What does this have to do with anything?
    I'd say young guys buying large single family homes would be comparable to people buying trucks and never using it to do truck things.
    where as I realize I only need a small DD but I don't want a base ford focus I want a fully loaded one. No. Houses don't devalue like trucks do. You are trying to draw parallels to my lancer comparison but all i was trying to do was show you that its stupid to pump loads of money of upgrades into a less desirable house.

Unheard of? Our builder started with the plan he used for the last custom duplex he built. Unfortunately I have no idea how much money they would make off us, and I would like to know.

A lot. Especially for that garage at that price. I hate to speculate numbers but on a typical 2000 sq.ft house the builder sells for 400k, builder probably makes 40-50k, so the house with the lot costs the builder 350 so that is 175$/sq. ft for the builder. This builder is basically building 1 3000sq.ft house with a few extra costs so 175/sq ft times 3000 sq ft is 525k. plus an extra garage, 20k. plus make them both bigger, call it an even 40k and that is super generous (probably more like 30k in reality) and whatever special sound/fire barrier. No clue how much that costs but 10k seems beyond generous. maybe 200% generous. and also, the lot is more expensive because there are effectively 2, so add 50k (150 is your typical lot, these lots cost 100 or so you said). that gives builder cost of 630k for the whole,
    or 315k per unit. at 380k selling price, they are making probs 65k. Likely more. A margin of at least 20%. Typical margin being more like max 15%, at least using these numbers.

Is windermere a nice neighborhood or something?

One of the nicest neighborhoods in south edmonton. A 500k house in ft sask would cost more like 600-650 in windermere.

It's a bad idea. Either go cheap duplex or spend 20k more and get a decent single family.
    Last edited by 780rx; April 4th, 2017 at 11:29 AM.
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    It's a bad idea. Either go cheap duplex or spend 20k more and get a decent single family.
    $20K won't get you a detached single family home. $100K more, maybe. If we're talking apples to apples, new custom build.

Also, a lot of these detached single family homes have TINY garage, and there's literally 1 foot of space between the next house... Might as well be conjoined.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    $20K won't get you a detached single family home. $100K more, maybe. If we're talking apples to apples, new custom build.

Also, a lot of these detached single family homes have TINY garage, and there's literally 1 foot of space between the next house... Might as well be conjoined.
    But we're not talking new custom build for the single family home.
    Look at the links in the last post. You'd be crazy to pick a custom duplex over any one of those for 10-20k more
    -Viktimize

The used duplexes in windermere built by Dolce Vita with the bonus room, 1800 sq ft, large double attached, 3 bdrm, 2.5 baths, are selling for 390-400.

Edit: This guy is on crack - dolce vita duplex in windermere south asking 430 (the person should be asking 410 tops): http://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-for-sal...ationFlag=true

This is a dolce vita unit in Windermere One, but has a single garage. Asking 376K: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-for-sal...ationFlag=true
    Last edited by the_fornicator; April 4th, 2017 at 12:14 PM.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 2G Toyota 4Runner (22RE) aka Gandalf / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Quote Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post
    The used duplexes in windermere built by Dolce Vita with the bonus room, 1800 sq ft, large double attached, 3 bdrm, 2.5 baths, are selling for 390-400.
    so this is pretty consistent with what i was saying - 360k for 1400 sq ft, no bonus room
    -Viktimize