1UP

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about buying my first home

Thanks

I'd like to see what you're finding. The first link I posted, those places (double attached garage, 3 bdrm, 2.5 baths, etc.) either come with a bonus room (1800 sq ft) or no bonus room (1580 sq ft - but has vaulted ceilings instead) but they will be in the 390K-400K range. Be hard to find those cheaper if located in windermere with a double attached garage. At 360K, 95% of those will be single car garages, 1400'ish square feet if located in windermere.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 2G Toyota 4Runner (22RE) aka Gandalf / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Thanks

this one doesn't look bad, it has potential, I'd be interested in seeing it.

the kitchen in this one is an absolute joke, looks smaller than even some of the duplex kitchen's I checked out that I was complaining about. The kitchen is also the most expensive square footage in a home generally so that might have something to do with the price.

this one also has potential

I just checked out Dolche Vida's website, most of their double duplexs are 1550-1650 square feet and their list prices are 380k for manning village. I'm sure this is without any options like granite and hardwood.
    Victory quoted us 350k for a duplex in forest ridge on a smaller 20ft build pocket.

We haven't discussed price with our current builder yet so their may still be room to move as well.
    #RAM

Thanks

Do you know if you can negotiate price with a builder? i.e. say there's a built home on the market, will they take a lower offer than their asking price?
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 2G Toyota 4Runner (22RE) aka Gandalf / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post
    Do you know if you can negotiate price with a builder? i.e. say there's a built home on the market, will they take a lower offer than their asking price?
    he's a nice enough guy but he was very much talking like "this is my price and that is that." 780 here has me looking into other options now though. I'll probably just tell the builder that at this price I'd probably just be interested in making the small step up to a single family home unless there is a way to bring down costs.
    #RAM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 589 Posts

yes you can. It depends on the builder though.

Jayman doesn't negotiate from my understanding. their claim is their prices reflect what they would negotiate to anyway and are priced well. I would actually agree with them as I was going to put a deposit on a 1350sq ft lane home with them for 320k that included a garage and that price was untouchable at the time, but luckily some asshat put a deposit on it an hour before I did and i bought in kelowna.

As for my house (mac and mitch, average builder for rep, but my house is problem free so far and wasn't slapped together), I negotiated hard on it. It was a spec home they just discounted, and they took off another 30k, so all said and done I ended up with a 1850 sq ft attached garage home, pretty much a house away from 2 million dollar homes, backing onto a green space, for 430k including gst on a 30 pocket lot. With all the bullshit you'd expect for a new house/house in windermere too (granite, huge ensuite, stupid electric fireplace, appliances included, etc).

IMO if they're not willing to negotiate, try another builder, unless the price is already very good. Personally I'd try and get a credit for appliances too. Builder appliances are bullshit as they just pick a bunch of shit that you dont want, and my builder had no problem giving me a credit (they already had the diswasher installed, but let me pick the rest of the crap) to buy whatever I wanted. Plus, that let me wheel and deal the shit out of appliances at the brick, and ended up with exactly what I wanted for a good stove and fridge, and a banged up dented to hell washer/drier combo that you'd never know is banged up and dented because that sits up next to the wall. Full retail on my stove was 1500, my fridge was 2000, and my washer dryer combo was 1000ish. I managed all that at the brick for $3000 give or take $100. dented washer helped, but they only discounted that pair down to 750. the stove and fridge they murdered the price on. I also bought a leather couch at the same time too, and they discounted that on top of it already being on sale (think it was 2200 on sale for 1599 or something, and they did it for 1400).

IMO screw duplexes too. I really don't like rohit (if I can spot numerous obvious flaws in their showhomes then what are their actual homes going to be like?). I dont like bedrock (had problems with that builder before). Jayman is on the lower end too imo, but like i said, I was ok wiht buying from them when the price made sense.

Lots in windermere have a huge premium too, especially 30 pocket lots which you are not even looking for, so if I bought for 430k (I bought at a very good time when builders were caught iwth their pants down and desperate to unload their spec homes, so you probably wont get as good a deal), you should be able to at least get an attached garage home that is similar to mine for similar to what I paid if you're shopping in ft sask or areas in edmonton that are cheaper than windermere.
    Last edited by zhao; April 4th, 2017 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks

Like Zhao said, depends on the builder.

I bought a quick-possession home. I asked for 25k off their price, they settled on 20k off lol.

It came with no appliances, but I was okay with that. They quoted a BS price for a basic appliance package (added 7k or something), which is typical since they want to profit somewhat, but why add it to your mortgage? If you have the cash on hand, use cash. I got mine from the Brick as well, bought what I wanted and they delivered and installed on time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeDragon
    Everyone loves Clem, if you don't then you support the terrorists ... and kicking puppies.

2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (DD)
    2003 Ford Focus ZX3 (Rally Fun Car)
    1998 GMC Sierra 4x4 (Workhorse)

Thanks

Nelson, ditch the condo idea. You can get a decent house for the 400k area.

Come swing by my place for beers one day! I snagged my house for low 400s with plenty of extras (finished basement - bar, theater room with 102" screen, etc) beautiful deck and backyard, nice finished double garage, AC, all new counter tops and appliances). 3 bedroom, 2.5 baths, 1800 sq ft. Im sure you can find something to your liking without settling on a duplex.

Thanks

Location is numero uno at dictating pricing. The house I just purchased in St Albert for mid 500's would cost all of 750 in Windemere. 400k for a townhouse in a more central location is not unheard of, while 400k for a 2-story detached in north Edmonton is easily found. Pick your poison!

Thanks

so I contacted the same builder a friend built with. He said you have to babysit them closely through the build process to get what you want but otherwise not a ton of complaints.

basically they quoted me 375k for a 1500 square foot single family home with a 22X24ft garage. this has granite and all the same upgrades included. the duplex idea honestly seems pretty ridiculous to me now, at least at the price range we were looking at. for reference this single family home is quoted for a 150k lot where the duplex lots only costed 102k each.

375k- 150k =225k for 1500sqft
    all granite, hardwood, 9ft floors and lots of other options included.

for the duplex with all the same options and a 2 ft longer garage
    380k - 102k = 278k for 1417 square feet.

seems like a no brainier the duplex is a bad idea
    #RAM