Track Junkies

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about buying my first home

The only thing I'd add is you might want to consider going with a plan in the 1700 plus that includes a bonus room if you don't plan to own it forever. Imo that adds a lot to the house for families because now they have more than one room to hang out in, or can use the living room for guests. Makes the house far more livable.

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    The only thing I'd add is you might want to consider going with a plan in the 1700 plus that includes a bonus room if you don't plan to own it forever. Imo that adds a lot to the house for families because now they have more than one room to hang out in, or can use the living room for guests. Makes the house far more livable.
    I find that 90% of the time bonus rooms are unused even if they are fully furnished so I don't understand the general appeal. That being said I love my bonus room but its a lot different layout than what i find typical bonus rooms to be.
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

are these prices for ft. sask? or what part of town?

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldakota View Post
    so I contacted the same builder a friend built with. He said you have to babysit them closely through the build process to get what you want but otherwise not a ton of complaints.

basically they quoted me 375k for a 1500 square foot single family home with a 22X24ft garage. this has granite and all the same upgrades included. the duplex idea honestly seems pretty ridiculous to me now, at least at the price range we were looking at. for reference this single family home is quoted for a 150k lot where the duplex lots only costed 102k each.

375k- 150k =225k for 1500sqft
    all granite, hardwood, 9ft floors and lots of other options included.

for the duplex with all the same options and a 2 ft longer garage
    380k - 102k = 278k for 1417 square feet.

seems like a no brainier the duplex is a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by BeatBanks.ca View Post
    are these prices for ft. sask? or what part of town?
    fort saskatchewan
    #RAM

Although I agree it would probably help resale, how much would it help. like if I spent an extra 20k having them add it is it gonna add more than 20k in value?

Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    I find that 90% of the time bonus rooms are unused even if they are fully furnished so I don't understand the general appeal. That being said I love my bonus room but its a lot different layout than what i find typical bonus rooms to be.
    I agree with this, I likely wouldn't intend to use the bonus room while living there. I already have two bedrooms that I don't even really plan to furnish. at most I'll turn one of my spare rooms into an office or something.
    #RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldakota View Post
    Although I agree it would probably help resale, how much would it help. like if I spent an extra 20k having them add it is it gonna add more than 20k in value?

I agree with this, I likely wouldn't intend to use the bonus room while living there. I already have two bedrooms that I don't even really plan to furnish. at most I'll turn one of my spare rooms into an office or something.
    It likely wouldn't be an extra $20K. When I was looking at spec homes, the placed with vaulted ceilings were the exact same price as the placed with a bonus room. Not saying it'll be the same price, but $20K more seems a bit high.

You'll definitely get your money back at the very least.

Bottom line is that the bonus rooms appeal to a larger demographic (people starting families, people with families, or people just wanting more space). Nobody really buys the average house saying "this is too much square footage". It allows people to not finish their basement given the extra space. In my place, I loved the vaulted ceilings (no bonus room). Now that I have a kid, I'm going to list my place for sale and look for a place with a bonus room (finished basement would be a plus).

Livable space is king, IMO. Places with vaulted ceilings and no bonus room might appeal to younger people where kids aren't in the picture... or they can have the best of both worlds and get the vaulted ceilings and then finish the basement (but this will take like another $20K). If anything, if you have a bonus room and the place across the way doesn't, if both places are similar in features and price, I would bet that the place with the bonus room sells first.
    2011 Subaru STi aka Scooby / 2G Toyota 4Runner (22RE) aka Gandalf / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Quote Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post
    It likely wouldn't be an extra $20K. When I was looking at spec homes, the placed with vaulted ceilings were the exact same price as the placed with a bonus room. Not saying it'll be the same price, but $20K more seems a bit high.

You'll definitely get your money back at the very least.

Bottom line is that the bonus rooms appeal to a larger demographic (people starting families, people with families, or people just wanting more space). Nobody really buys the average house saying "this is too much square footage". It allows people to not finish their basement given the extra space. In my place, I loved the vaulted ceilings (no bonus room). Now that I have a kid, I'm going to list my place for sale and look for a place with a bonus room (finished basement would be a plus).

Livable space is king, IMO. Places with vaulted ceilings and no bonus room might appeal to younger people where kids aren't in the picture... or they can have the best of both worlds and get the vaulted ceilings and then finish the basement (but this will take like another $20K). If anything, if you have a bonus room and the place across the way doesn't, if both places are similar in features and price, I would bet that the place with the bonus room sells first.
    I was just throwing random numbers out there, the duplex builder we were talking with threw out 100$/sqft when adding to the second floor. whats a bonus room 150sqft or so. So that would be another 16,500$ at their pricing but they were also very expensive obviously so maybe 10,00$ would be more realistic cost wise. I'll definitely inquire about it and see if its worth it.
    #RAM

No bonus room = starter home imo. It's a temp home people will make due with, because if you have 2 kids it sux ass. At the very least You can't ignore the mess because everyone spends all their time in the living room, which everyone visiting sees. With a bonus room it keeps the mess upstairs.

imo it's worth it and then some, but you should be able to ballpark the value looking at used new homes for sale. or just the sheer lack of homes in new areas without it if they have an attached garage for how desirable a house without a bonus room is. I have to walk a couple blocks to find one actually in my area

No bonus room = starter home imo. It's a temp home people will make due with, because if you have 2 kids it sux ass. At the very least You can't ignore the mess because everyone spends all their time in the living room, which everyone visiting sees. With a bonus room it keeps the mess upstairs.

imo it's worth it and then some, but you should be able to ballpark the value looking at used new homes for sale. or just the sheer lack of homes in new areas without it if they have an attached garage for how desirable a house without a bonus room is. I have to walk a couple blocks to find one actually in my area
    Ya... the wife and I just went from 1200sqft to 2321sqft. Came with 4 bedrooms and a bonus room. Moving is gayer than aids, so we did our best to future-proof ourselves. The living room will be for entertaining, the bonus room will be where the kids can keep their toys. The house also came with a 3 car garage... so that's pretty nice.