First Gear

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about buying my first home

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking anything that small will not have (and also won't have the real estate to allow you to develop) a shop that big.
    I'm certainly not familiar with all areas of Edmonton, though, so please don't assume I'm spouting off like an expert.
    I know Fort Sask is cheaper, but that mix you're looking for might be rare.
    When I say shop I mean a really large garage as far as living in the city is concerned, not a detached shop.
    #RAM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 816 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldakota View Post
    When I say shop I mean a really large garage as far as living in the city is concerned, not a detached shop.
    Yep, I know. I'm just thinking I recall something about <67% of your land occupied by permanent structures and with a big double, or certainly triple garage, you start running out of legal real estate.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 918 Posts

If you're dead set on the things you listed. Then at least double your budget and start looking at acreages in Ardrossan.

But Josh can probably find you some stuff with huge compromises to get in your budget.

Thanks

I haven't really set a budget exactly,move seen what my friends paid to have some nice new houses built in the fort and one paid just over 500k for a big triple car garage plus 2400sq ft house, another is building now and I think he is mid to upper 400's for double car garage plus 2100ish square ft.
    I'm thinking fairly minimalist compared to my friends houses so I just guessed at a price range in the city. I mean in the city it's the idea of floor plans like this, https://www.thehouseplanshop.com/027g-0002.php, that interest me. If that is aloud in the city then in my mind it should be fairly cheap to build, a person could add a wall to one side so that my daily driver is separate, gym could be at the back with room for a project in the other stall.
    #RAM

Thanks

That is not allowed afaik. You also have to consider the fact you need a lot ($150k to start in Edmonton, dunno about Fort Sask but considering prices in Red Deer, I wouldn't be surprised if they were similiar. Also when you say "the city", nobody thinks Fort Sask lol), and that place would still cost $150k+ all said and done to build. So you've spent $300,000 (let me reiterate, THREE. HUNDRED. THOUSAND. DOLLARS) on a place that has little resale value, and will be considered an eyesore by most of your neighbors. And you're going to spend minimum $300k to build it. And its a pretty rinky-dink garage still.

It just doesn't add up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    That is not allowed afaik. You also have to consider the fact you need a lot ($150k to start in Edmonton, dunno about Fort Sask but considering prices in Red Deer, I wouldn't be surprised if they were similiar. Also when you say "the city", nobody thinks Fort Sask lol), and that place would still cost $150k+ all said and done to build. So you've spent $300,000 (let me reiterate, THREE. HUNDRED. THOUSAND. DOLLARS) on a place that has little resale value, and will be considered an eyesore by most of your neighbors. And you're going to spend minimum $300k to build it. And its a pretty rinky-dink garage still.

It just doesn't add up.
    Yeah I know resale is definately a consideration and that is probably the biggest problem with this idea.

I'll start saying Fort Saskatchewan instead of the city.
    #RAM

Thanks

Sounds like you are asking for a lot. You still don't know your budget but given 80K a year, probably 400K would be in the upper limit?

I think your two best options are either, buy far out of the fort and get your shop and acreage but then you are far away.
    Other option is buy an older house with a detached garage that is oversized. Probably will have the big garage you want. But the house itself will probably be old and need updates.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MZSPD For This Useful Post:

HiTempguy (September 28th, 2016)

Thanks

That would make a nice garage for a lane home. But not for a home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 829 Posts

Definitely buy in the country... I live in Fort Sask, but our farm/shop is in Ardrossan. It's literally 11 minutes to drive there or back.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.