Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Laptop, 2016

Default Christmas Laptop, 2016

I need a new laptop. My current one is an Acer from Costco and it's been fantastic for 5+ years, so basically want another one. Acer, Costco.
    I do zero gaming and obviously don't need anything too fancy, although, because I will keep it for the next five years, it may need to be more cutting edge, so that it's not like a Tandy paper weight by Year 2.
    What's confusing me is why so many new lappies don't have DVD/CD drives. I kinda want one. Why have they done this?

So, please help.

*Paging AudiInProgress.

Sup Jugz?

Lots of laptops (and desktops, for that matter) don't come with CD/DVD drives anymore, because, just like the floppy diskette... nobody uses them anymore. I would estimate that 99% of what people need to install on their computers this day and age, is simply downloaded from the web. And the few situations where you can't rely on the internet, most people use USB sticks instead. Even companies that distribute software, Audesk/AutoCAD for example... Ships their products on USB sticks instead of discs. I can honestly say that I haven't put a CD in my computer at home for at least 3 years. And most of the stuff that I do at my office, installing Windows, etc... Gets done off a bootable usb stick.

You could always buy a USB DVD drive, for that 1 time a year that you need to use a disc?

Anyways, I'll recommend you some laptops...
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    Sup Jugz?

Lots of laptops (and desktops, for that matter) don't come with CD/DVD drives anymore, because, just like the floppy diskette... nobody uses them anymore. I would estimate that 99% of what people need to install on their computers this day and age, is simply downloaded from the web. And the few situations where you can't rely on the internet, most people use USB sticks instead. Even companies that distribute software, Audesk/AutoCAD for example... Ships their products on USB sticks instead of discs. I can honestly say that I haven't put a CD in my computer at home for at least 3 years. And most of the stuff that I do at my office, installing Windows, etc... Gets done off a bootable usb stick.

You could always buy a USB DVD drive, for that 1 time a year that you need to use a disc?

Anyways, I'll recommend you some laptops...
    Thanks.
    I'm picturing jamming an old Disney DVD in on a vacation for my kids to watch. I agree that the new ones all come with digital copies, but there's still times when I'd like to stick a disc in.
    Like you said, I guess I could just buy external.

Or at least I thought I was going to recommend you some laptops, but it looks like the availability of Acer laptops at Costco (and MemX) for that matter, are very slim-pickings. I wonder what's up with that.

This one from costco;
    http://www.costco.ca/Acer-Aspire-E5-...100300569.html

But it has no dvd drive, a low resolution, AND an out-dated processor.

There's THIS one from MemX;
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63168

It has a current-gen processor, slightly less ram (you won't notice the difference between 8GB and 12GB for what you do), a dedicated videocard pushing a full HD resolution, but it's also a 17.3" monster of a laptop.

You didn't say which size you were after.

But since we're looking in the $750-$850 range already... I would probably buy something like this, personally;
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63461

That being said... They only have stock in the Vancouver location. Not sure if you can buy it here, and then get them to ship it to you?

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    Thanks.
    I'm picturing jamming an old Disney DVD in on a vacation for my kids to watch. I agree that the new ones all come with digital copies, but there's still times when I'd like to stick a disc in.
    Like you said, I guess I could just buy external.

Not that easy on vacation. Can you imagine handing your kids a laptop in the back seat, plus a DVD drive dangling by a USB cord, and asking them to hold everything still? lol

Current one measures about 15.5" so I assume it's a 15"

15.6" is standard these days.

Yeah... If I were you, I'd call MemX and ask them if they'd be willing to bring in one of those ASUS from Vancouver... There's not much else with such good specs in that price range.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    15.6" is standard these days.

Yeah... If I were you, I'd call MemX and ask them if they'd be willing to bring in one of those ASUS from Vancouver... There's not much else with such good specs in that price range.
    OK, so even though gaming isn't my thing and this one says it's all about gaming (yet has less RAM) you think it's a good value?

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    OK, so even though gaming isn't my thing and this one says it's all about gaming (yet has less RAM) you think it's a good value?
    A 4GB stick of ram is worth like $50... And like I said, especially considering your "requirements" then difference between 8GB and 12GB is moot.

And I know it's a "gaming" laptop, and that you don't want to game. But ASUS is a reputable manufacturer, I'm fully confident recommending one of their products.

I mostly recommend Acer, and when I'm not selling Acer, I sell Lenovo (IBM). But there is nothing comparable from those manufacturers. Maybe if I shopped around some more... Maybe even buying straight from the manufacturer?

But that laptop I'm recommending is on sale for $220 off.

Plus... It's a 6th-generation processor using DDR4... Whereas the one from Costco has 12GB of old DDR3 memory. And an old processor.

Anyways... Yeah. You're basically saying you want to buy a #RAM with a V6... And I'm telling to buy a #RAM with a #HEMI. Just trust me, it's basically the same price, and you're going to get a laptop capable of everything you want, plus more, for a really decent price.