Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning a Garage Reno

Question Planning a Garage Reno

The woman and I just purchased 10 acres east of the city. Original farmhouse was gutted down to studs and rebuilt, but the out buildings need work. First priority is a comfortable shop by winter.

I am currently soliciting people's suggestions. Rough budget is $10k. As much DIY as possible (I can do the framing/roofing/plumbing and basic electrical). Building in question is 20x24 in size, has 10' ceilings.

Current state of the building is a bit rough:
    -- needs new roof, shingles
    -- not insulated
    -- no power
    -- dirt floor

Wishlist:
    -- high test concrete suitable for a 6000 lb two-post lift
    -- 12' ceilings
    -- insulation
    -- 220v power and sub panel
    -- wired for wifi
    -- natural gas & electrical rough-ins for heater
    -- storage loft
    -- LED lighting

Not sure yet if my best bet is to raise the garage on a concrete pony wall (2-3 feet high), or remove the roof, add to the walls then redo the roof.

Am I totally out to lunch on something? What am I missing?
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen

1992 Audi 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled

1990 Audi Coupé quattro /// Because Racecar

Your $10k will be eaten away just with the concrete floor, insulation and wall panels.

Yeah, I was thinking half for the concrete alone. I have a connection, which should help some but there's no cheaping out on the foundation.

Insulation doesn't have to be spray foam or Roxul, just enough to keep the heat inside.

Walls will just be painted OSB.

if you're going to drop 10g +, why drop 10g + on a 20x24?

IMO that size sucks to deal with unless you only own miatas, and you might as well spend more to get something that doesn't suck. If i was building a garage on an acreage 24x24 would be the bare minimum, because anything less then that doesn't leave you room to do anything on the sides of the vehicles or store a tool box in front of anything.

If you want a hoist you're probably going to want to up that number too, because a hoist takes up a lot of width.

BTW LED lighting sucks. it doesn't defuse very well at all so you're going to have intense areas of light where the lights shine, and black holes of not being able to see anything everywhere else... which sucks for working on cars. We have about 1 bazillion LED lights in our shop and the darkest color in the shop is the clean concrete floor and you still can't see anything that doesn't have a light directly aimed at it.

Good tip on the LED lighting. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

As far as the dimensions are concerned, we're trying to restore the original building and update it along the way. Good chance to build some equity and make things comfortable in my workshop.

I own a 20'x24' and Zhao is correct. But, since that's the canvas that your creation is going to be on, you need to adjust your vision to fit within that pad.

As I'm doing this right now and I'm not changing the structure or pouring a new pad your budget is way off. I just installed my heater ($1500) 15ft radiant heater. My garage is also detached and my luck the meter was on the opposite end of the house so running the gas line with permit cost $1700 and that was the cheapest option from 6 quotes. Insulation Especially if you wait for sales you can get good deals, I got green fiber blow in insulation for my ceiling and covering 875sqft at around R 45-50 only cost 550 bucks. I haven't had issues with LED lighting my self I got these and they are awesome but not cheap https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...light-for-your

Quote Originally Posted by So Much Win ! View Post
    ...running the gas line with permit cost $1700 and that was the cheapest option from 6 quotes.
    As a journeyman steamfitter, this is something I can DIY which will cut down costs. Getting materials at wholesale doesn't hurt either haha.

That said, I do understand the budget is skinny. I'm trying to make sure we get the important stuff dealt with before we chew through the initial budget, so stuff like services roughed in, and concrete poured, hopefully insulation, and I'm pretty happy. Budget isn't firm, it's a starting point. We're looking to borrow the $10k on the mortgage and finish what remains out of pocket.

Trouble is, we have to get a quote from a builder who will attest to the renovations adding a like amount to the value of the house or the lender won't approve the extra funds. And the mortgage broker needs the quote by this Wednesday.

I did get a ball park figure from my brother for some renovation costs. He's a residential designer (basically an architect without the stamp) and does high end custom homes in Calgary. When I asked for some estimates, he figured (totally seat of his pants estimates):
    - $6k for concrete pad
    - $6k for exterior materials
    - $4k for interior heat & finishes

So that's already ~40% over budget lol, but it gives me an idea. As I said earlier, if we can get the pad poured, services roughed in and walls insulated/boarded, for ten grand, I'll be more than happy.