Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning a Garage Reno

Quote Originally Posted by pry4sno View Post
    As a journeyman steamfitter, this is something I can DIY which will cut down costs. Getting materials at wholesale doesn't hurt either haha.

That said, I do understand the budget is skinny. I'm trying to make sure we get the important stuff dealt with before we chew through the initial budget, so stuff like services roughed in, and concrete poured, hopefully insulation, and I'm pretty happy. Budget isn't firm, it's a starting point. We're looking to borrow the $10k on the mortgage and finish what remains out of pocket.

Trouble is, we have to get a quote from a builder who will attest to the renovations adding a like amount to the value of the house or the lender won't approve the extra funds. And the mortgage broker needs the quote by this Wednesday.
    I think you're sunk. The addition of a garage from no garage might, MIGHT add 90ยข/$1 spent and some will argue $1 but I think you'll be hard pressed to find an argument that modifying a garage yields $1 improvement per $1 spent.

Yeah that is a hitch.

Funny thing is, we're getting an appraisal (as per the lender's request) but it doesn't include the outbuildings. Being a detached garage I'm sure we can work that in our favour.

The initial quotes coming in are in line with my brother's guesstimates. I'll post more when I have some better numbers, but for now we're just getting second hand word of mouth estimates through our realtor so far.

Good news is the time frame for the quote has been extended to allow for people to submit their bids.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen

1992 Audi 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled

1990 Audi Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

I'm just ballparking here... But I'm guessing total actual cost will be closer to $30K
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Went out for the home inspection yesterday, had a better look at the garage. Came up with a plan.

Building sits on 8x8 Fir beams. The bones are in good shape. Plan is to just update the garage as-is, and when more space is required we'll build an addition. So no lift for now, but I've somehow managed to survive this long so another year or few won't kill me.

The build out at the back wall is about the right size for a workbench and tool boxes. Which is nice, because the garage footprint stays at 20x24.

Basic plan from earlier stays the same:
    -- concrete
    -- electrical/gas/wifi rough ins
    -- insulation
    -- roof and shingles, gutters
    -- overhead doors & openers
    -- lighting

Outside is rough, yes, but it'll stay that way until the house gets new siding when we'll do both so they match.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen

1992 Audi 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled

1990 Audi Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar

Seems a little short on the length side, was is that, 20 ft?

right, just read your reply lol

What kind of vehicles are going to be in here? anything full size will be a squeeze. have to consider what your doing... When it comes time for me, I can't spec a garage shorter then 26 long. Full size trucks, and I want about 8 feet in front for engine cranes, etc etc.
    78 c-10

Its your money but do you really see value in fixing that thing up?

You have a 1950s frame sitting with no cement footing in dirt (you sure there is no rot anywhere you might not be able to see right now?)... Everything else on that thing is garbage. The roof looks completely toast (you have shit growing on the roof that the snow doesn't even cover), the walls are basically just siding, there isn't even fucked garage doors on it that kinda work, and the floor... is a nightmare. Who are you going to get that wants to deal with pouring a floor in your old crappy garage? They're probably going to charge you a big 'this job is bullshit and I really dont want to do it' fee. Plus they're going to have to work around your existing crappy garage? How is that going to work? Are you going to dig out the floor by hand? and then you still have an old frame sitting in dirt at the end of the day. And a garage that is smaller than ideal. Materialwise you need literally everything that you would need for a new construction, except for framing, so you're saving what, 2g? in lumber?

At that point, I'd say stake out a different chunk of land and start fresh there with a new construction. Get someone to do the foundation/floor which will be expensive but at least it'll be done right and probably way cheaper than them trying to work around that existing garage, and then build the actual garage yourself if you're tight on money. 10g might be realistic budget for a floor and materials. How hard can it be?
    Last edited by zhao; December 18th, 2016 at 12:07 PM.

I would use this as a temporary structure maybe... but even I wouldn't sink a ton of money in this. Level out the floor the best you can, tamp it, lay down plywood. get a few packs of shitty r12 when it's on sale, throw up plywood walls. Walmart has shop light fixtures that take t8 bulbs for about $30. 4-8 of those would be lots. Best temporary bet for heat will be a couple fans on the ceiling, and a kero/diesel heater, at least a 75k btu unit. You'll need a decent exhaust and intake system with that as well, home depot. Doors, well, more plywood on hinges lol.

That is all I would do. Honestly that building is a write off.
    78 c-10

Agree with above posts, that garage isn't worth sinking money into. In the end, it'll cost you the same or more, and more hassle then new. The only thing you're really saving is framing, which isn't much cost and when you factor in the cost of fixing the old, stripping off siding/shingles it won't save anything.

Yesterday I was going to stay tear it down build a nice new sweet shop. That's what I would. So I agree with the above.